The other side of Michael D Higgins

Seeing as they haven't moved in yet, that is hardly a reliable source. In fact, it seems like a not-so-subtle attempt to denigrate a lady. If there were any such change in policy, I'd have thought that RTE would have been made aware of it;

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1103/president.html

As you often ask for sources, just to clarify; someone who is working at Aras an Uachtarin and probably pretty actively involved with preparation for the new President and his family, isn't reliable?

Seeing as they haven't moved in yet, that is hardly a reliable source. In fact, it seems like a not-so-subtle attempt to denigrate a lady. If there were any such change in policy, I'd have thought that RTE would have been made aware of it;

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1103/president.html

They have already been given instructions on how to address her. Do you seriously think there is no active engagement between the Aras staff and the new President until after the inauguration??

As you often ask for sources, just to clarify; someone who is working at Aras an Uachtarin and probably pretty actively involved with preparation for the new President and his family, isn't reliable?
A 2nd-hand report what what someone working at Áras an Uachtaráin was supposedly told isn't a reliable source for me. Somebody in that Askaboutmoney.com place told me that Latrade frequently breaks wind in meetings. Reliable, or not?

They have already been given instructions on how to address her.
Great - any chance that you could get a copy of the instructions?
A rather slight exaggeration, I think ? :)

BoxTheFox doesn't seem to think so.

They have already been given instructions on how to address her. Do you seriously think there is no active engagement between the Aras staff and the new President until after the inauguration??

Don't worry, I believe you. :D

Don't mind him. Its the lady's own decision and nobody else's. Her choice won't in the slightest affect my opinion of her. I expect that she will become very popular in her new role as Presidential spouse, just as Martin McAleese and Nick Robinson achieved before her.

A 2nd-hand report what what someone working at Áras an Uachtaráin was supposedly told isn't a reliable source for me. Somebody in that Askaboutmoney.com place told me that Latrade frequently breaks wind in meetings. Reliable, or not?

All sources are 2nd hand whether it be an "insider" telling a journalist or someone directly involved in a processes telling a poster here. The question is whether you trust the person "publishing" the anecdote or 2nd hand source and their judgement as you would with a newspaper.

But I understand that it is important to have readily moveable goal posts in order to never concede a point.

Great - any chance that you could get a copy of the instructions?

You seem to be taking this very seriously.:confused: Why on earth would my friend make up something stupid like that?????

don't mind him. Its the lady's own decision and nobody else's. Her choice won't in the slightest affect my opinion of her. I expect that she will become very popular in her new role as presidential spouse, just as martin mcaleese and nick robinson achieved before her.

:d

Don't mind him. Its the lady's own decision and nobody else's. Her choice won't in the slightest affect my opinion of her. I expect that she will become very popular in her new role as Presidential spouse, just as Martin McAleese and Nick Robinson achieved before her.
There is no clarity that the lady has made any such decision at all, though you're probably right with the gist of your post.
All sources are 2nd hand whether it be an "insider" telling a journalist or someone directly involved in a processes telling a poster here.
Not true. If we were to hear directly from somebody who worked in the Aras, that would be first hand. If we hear from a friend of somebody who works in the Aras, that is second hand.
Why on earth would my friend make up something stupid like that?????
Maybe for the same reason that you chose to post it, and BoxTheFox chose to use it to have a dig?

There is no clarity that the lady has made any such decision at all, though you're probably right with the gist of your post.

Not true. If we were to hear directly from somebody who worked in the Aras, that would be first hand. If we hear from a friend of somebody who works in the Aras, that is second hand.

Maybe for the same reason that you chose to post it, and BoxTheFox chose to use it to have a dig?

So to sum up;
Liaconn made a comment about the woman that you accept is probably true.

Another poster poked some gentle fun at the woman (sorry, she's a lady) and you threw your toys out of the pram and called Liaconn's integrity into question.

Charming.

Some day when Democratic Left, sorry, Labour, get into power criticism of the Party will be banned but at the moment it's still tolerated.

BTW, comments made to reporters and then printed in a newspaper without naming the source are second hand. No amount of party spin on your behalf will change that.

Some day when Democratic Left, sorry, Labour, get into power criticism of the Party will be banned but at the moment it's still tolerated.

Scratch a Labour critic and you find a ...?

LOL!

Can we get back to the topic please?

Letting Off Steam > The other side of Michael D Higgins

I found the examples which shed light on Michael D as a tough adversarial combative politician very interesting and somewhat at odds with his caricature as a somewhat effete, intellectual, wimp (OP's words and not mine).

Anyone who has ever encountered Michael D at any level in real life will know that he is the polar opposite of an 'effete, intellectual, wimp'. That said I thought that his foul-mouthed ad-hominem attack on Michael Graham was a very poor reflection of Higgins' manners.

Scratch a Labour critic and you find a ...?

...person who believes in democracy and the rights of the individual?

Michael D didn't survive this long in politics without being able to fight his corner. He's a very formidable person. I just hope he puts the national interest ahead of what he's personally interested in while he is in office.

...person who believes in democracy and the rights of the individual?

Michael D didn't survive this long in politics without being able to fight his corner. He's a very formidable person. I just hope he puts the national interest ahead of what he's personally interested in while he is in office.

Ah now - that's more than a bit extreme , are you seriously suggesting that the Labour Party , it's members & supporters are somehow enemies of democracy & the rights of the individual ?

Bit of a stretch - surely ?

Back