The other side of Michael D Higgins

So I don't see why anyone on here should be getting personal with me over this or demand that I name where I work or have worked. It's what I've encountered and still see every day. There are good people and bad people in all companies/organisations....but at least in the private sector, the danger of losing your jobs acts as a reality call to some people who would otherwise be prone to 'drifting' through their career...in my opinion, of course!
No-one is getting personal with you or demanding that you do anything. I'm simply asking that you validate your claim. Forget the history of what happened in the past. If you are aware of public bodies where today, the staff are sitting around doing damn all, please name the bodies concerned.

Perhaps, but I'd be more open to a claim that the advantages of simple origami are twofold.
Brilliant.

Where did I say that? You cited Revenue IT as 'continuing to improve customer services' as evidence of their staff 'working their asses off'. I just pointed out my own and other accountants' experience that their customer services have disimproved.

If you could be more specific about the nature of the disimprovement, then we might be able to understand this. Perhaps this relates to security changes, or legislation changes, or whatever. It is unlikely (though not impossible) that disimprovement in service has arisen through sloppy work.

But regardless, the question was around where staff are working their asses off. Many staff that I deal with in those specific organisations are working their asses off at present.

I'm simply asking that you validate your claim. Forget the history of what happened in the past. If you are aware of public bodies where today, the staff are sitting around doing damn all, please name the bodies concerned.

You asked me for that once and when I replied, you said nothing. If you remember I worked in 2 councils and 1 department for several years. I saw dossing in a big way with zero accountability and I know it's still going on. Not as much as before but everyone knows the shortcuts. But in my experience, for every 1 person doing SFA, there is another diligent worker holding the place together.

You asked me for that once and when I replied, you said nothing. If you remember I worked in 2 councils and 1 department for several years. I saw dossing in a big way with zero accountability and I know it's still going on. Not as much as before but everyone knows the shortcuts. But in my experience, for every 1 person doing SFA, there is another diligent worker holding the place together.
Unfortunately, real life occasionally intrudes on my ability to keep up with debates here on AAM. Would you like to point me to the thread in question?

Anyway, I'm really not interested in past history. I'm interested in what is happening today in public bodies. If you know of organisations where there is 'dossing in a big way with zero accountability', please name them.

If you know of organisations where there is 'dossing in a big way with zero accountability', please name them.

The Health Service:
Tallaght Hospital; who was fired when GP referral letters were left un-opened for months and years?
Who was fired when X-Rays were un-read/misread?
Who's in charge of quality in Tallaght Hospital? Who wrote their quality manual? Who audits the processes set out in their quality manual?
What are the sanctions imposable when an individual fails to comply with the procedures as set out in their quality manual? Who audits the internal audits? What level of training have the internal auditors received?

The above processes exist in every mickey-mouse business in Ireland with ISO13485:2003 (medical device) and ISO 9001:2008 (management system) certifications. I'm sure a hospital operates at at least that level. If Tallaght Hospital doesn't then the director of the hospital should be sacked. If there are no such requirements then the head of HIQA should be sacked.
If the systems are in place the person who didn't follow them is responsible, if they are not in place then the person at the top is responsible.

No-one is getting personal with you or demanding that you do anything. I'm simply asking that you validate your claim. Forget the history of what happened in the past. If you are aware of public bodies where today, the staff are sitting around doing damn all, please name the bodies concerned.

You say no one is demanding I do anything and then you ask again, that I name where I work or have worked and have seen people doing little or nothing!!!

name any public company and you'll be more than likely be on the money!

Did any one hear Joeseph O'Connors radio blog on RTE 1 yesterday.

It describes how as a student he invited MDOH to UCD in the early 1980s to speak about the Sandanistas in Central America.

You say no one is demanding I do anything and then you ask again, that I name where I work or have worked and have seen people doing little or nothing!!!

name any public company and you'll be more than likely be on the money!
It's just too easy to say 'name any public company'. We all know that you don't have direct personal knowledge of every public company. So either you have direct personal knowledge, or you don't. Either you're going to be part of the solution, or part of the problem. Take your pick.

it's pretty hard to argue back to that!!! good night...

Possibly because it's true. A calm environment is a sign of effective management. But the usual suspects round here will tell you that it means people aren't working. You'd swear that there are some people who just get a kick out of complaining.

Anyway, I'm really not interested in past history. I'm interested in what is happening today in public bodies. If you know of organisations where there is 'dossing in a big way with zero accountability', please name them.

Galway County/City Councils, NUIG, HSE, Dept of Agriculture.

Now quid pro quo - It's a bit rich that you dont want to talk about history but can you tell me how many public servants were fired in the past 10 years for being useless at their jobs?

Back