Some posters are condescending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean all us Corkonions are condescending, given that we know for a fact that we come from the greatest place on planet earth? :D

Cork "onions"? Freudian slip or wha! And only the best place on planet earth? You've set your sights a bit low for most of my Cork mates!:D

I have to say that I found Brendans attidude soooo condescending so much so that I rarely bother posting any more e.g.
Minor breaches of Posting Guidelines
This is very bad manners and is the equivalent of skipping the queue.

I have deleted the thread.

Do not ask the questionon askaboutmoney again
-------

All I did was ask the question in total innocence a second time. Brendan that is condescension and unacceptable behaviour as far as I am concerned, I am not surprised that people dont bother anymore. Who are you to judge my manners? You get my point?

Yeah. Being told you're in breach of the guidelines (and why) is reasonable enough.

Being given a dressing down on your personal standards by reference to someone else's subjective criteria is not.

The Posting Guideline is very very clear:

9 Do not bump posts. Do not duplicate posts.
If your query has not received any replies please don't duplicate it or reply to it simply to bump it up to the top of the list. Bumped threads will be deleted. Do not post a reply to surreptitiously bump it. If you use a meaningful title in the first place, then your query should be answered.
Bumping posts is like skipping the queue. I consider that to be rude.

Fine, I could just delete the post and tell the poster not to post again. But they might not understand why.

Is "rude" the wrong word? maybe if I say it's against tehe posting guidelines and it's bad netiquette.

Here is the post you refer to. It was a straightforward bumping of the post.

Frequent Poster

Lost the sound in my FTA Triax
I have picture but no sound here, did I press some button on remote or what? This has not happened previously and have the system just a year. Thanks in advance.

#2 22-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Frequent Poster

Re: Lost the sound in my FTA Triax
Anyone??

Brendan

Brighid maybe you have missed the point here. See Latrade's post #27 - I think you are taking things a little bit too personally if you are offended by Brendan's reply. You are obviously a regular visitor to the site so should know the posting guidelines by now. I think Latrade's advice is sound.

I know I'm going to sound like a total lick, but I find the moderation very good. Once ye know the rules (and they are kinda just commonsense) it's easy to avoid breaching them. I got ticked-off once or twice, but I understood why.

As Purple said, if ye take offence fairly easily on an internet site( as I think Brighid has), then your setting yourselve up to be offended.

I also don't like attacks on named mods past or present, I don't think that's very fair. Mod's are probably restricted in what they can say, they do a sometimes thankless job and a bit of appreciation wouldn't go amiss. Because of their efforts, AAM is easy to use and follow, posts generally make sense and are inoffensive, titles relevant etc. I don't want to see posts bumped up, and I don't want to see silly titles like "help" or whatever.

Last edited:
Fair play to the mods for their work and managing the different areas, they are voluneers after all
Unless Brendan is paying them and in that case, are ya hiring?/

Just to confirm that the mods and admins receive no payment in the same way that contributors don't receive money for their informative, helpful and indeed funny and amusing posts that help to complete AAM.

But all donations gratefully accepted for running the site.

Just click on the donate button below.

Marion

The Posting Guidelines are there for everyone's benefit - the poster and potential readers.

The "infraction" system is to remind people of the the rules.

The vast majority of infractions are straightforward - "don't use bad language" "don't bump posts - it's rude" -" don't take threads off topic" . They don't incur penalty points and they are not a problem unless they are repeated.

The vast majority of people who get them either don't respond, or simply apologise and post again without the offending comment.

A small few take personal offence that we have the cheek to impinge on their right to free speech and think that the moderators should enter into long correspondence on whether "****" is really bad language or just a term of endearment from old English.

I certainly am direct. I don't really think that I should write long essays to people explaining why their posts are in breach of the Posting Guidelines. I prefer to be writing long posts helping people to solve their financial problems. And yes, I resent people who bump posts. It's not a hanging offence. It doesn't incur penalty points even. But the poster is not allowed post on that topic again which seems to be to be appropriate.

I won't use the word "rude" again in such warnings as maybe it's rude to describe someone else as rude.

Has anyone any links to other posts where posters are condescending, other than
1) please adhere to the posting guidelines
2) Please don't promote illegality on askaboutmoney?

I would consider a condescending post to be something like the following:

"that is a really stupid question. Where have you been all these years? Did you not know that you are supposed to pay your mortgage repayments on time?"

I can't really think of an example of this apart from my frustration yesterday with Joe Ballantine's and Complainer's failure to understand the takeover of Superquinn.

A few have been reported as "abuse of another poster" and if they amounted to abuse, they were deleted.

We have deleted some "elitist" references to misspellings, but they are very rare. Some moderators have spent a huge amount of time rewriting long posts where the poster was in a very difficult position, but had written a very garbled message with no punctuation or sentences or order in the post.

Occasionally when two long-term posters get into a real ding-dong one makes a condescending remark to the other but, in my opinion, such remarks reflect only on the person making the remark.

But anyway, any examples of condescending posts?

Like most people, I appreciate the work that moderators do and the thankless efforts they make to ensure adherence with the guidelines to the benefit of everyone.

But what's sauce for the goose.....etc.

If it's okay for a mod to react by losing the rag and accusing someone of bad manners then surely it's okay for that person to feel equally annoyed by what they might regard as an unwarranted commentary on their behaviour.

If that causes the same person to subsequently refrain from visiting AAM, it shouldn't come as a surprise and I wouldn't necessarily agree it's attributable to their own hypersensitivity.

Genuinely fail to see how this is condescending. It's a bit tongue in cheek, and if you read the history of that particular posters' threads that mf1 was replying to, it is absolutely spot on.

In general, as a long time poster here, I don't find the moderation heavy handed. Direct, sure, but more often witty and interesting. Also find that those who 'give it' can 'take it' too, as long as the poster doesn't find the need to descend to the lowest common denominator.

Fair enough. I would consider it condescending but maybe that's just me.

I like others remember one particular poster who could really get under your skin and he was often incredibly condescending but generally speaking I also got quite a laugh out of most his wise-ass replies.

If you're referring to the person I think you are .. +1

Is pointing out someone's spelling or grammar errors condescending ? I'm often tempted to point these out, but suppress my pedantry (usually). My motive is to be helpful, not mocking.

If you're referring to the person I think you are .. +1

Is pointing out someone's spelling or grammar errors condescending ? I'm often tempted to point these out, but suppress my pedantry (usually). My motive is to be helpful, not mocking.

Please feel free to point out mine tarfhead. My grammar and spelling can certainly be a bit off...thank god for edit!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back