Some posters are condescending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Brendan, one thing I have noticed (sometimes, not all the time) is if someone starts a thread which happens to be in the wrong forum, a mod might close the thread with a 2 word response - "wrong forum" and that's it. There's no "maybe try the XYZ section" or whatever, the thread is just closed. I'm sure this is very offputting to both that person and potential others. Some of the queries are genuine questions which have just been posted in the wrong section, some of which could overlap.

Perhaps it would be fair to take account of "track record" as regards moderation?

If someone posts a lot, is generally not a problem, and occasionally posts something that someone views as off colour, then maybe it would be reasonable to remove the post and let them know to "keep it between the ditches", without going nuclear, taking into account that due to their track record they probably werent intentionally being offensive. I suppose its the online forum equivalent of a character witness, but you dont have to take someones word for it, by their posts they shall be judged.

Even penalty points expire after a while - probably in recognition that if someone is constantly driving they'll pick up an odd infraction without necessarily being a threat on the roads.

On the other hand if someone arrives, is a constant bother, then maybe a sterner tone is needed.

Well Brendan, one thing I have noticed (sometimes, not all the time) is if someone starts a thread which happens to be in the wrong forum, a mod might close the thread with a 2 word response - "wrong forum" and that's it. There's no "maybe try the XYZ section" or whatever, the thread is just closed. I'm sure this is very offputting to both that person and potential others. Some of the queries are genuine questions which have just been posted in the wrong section, some of which could overlap.

I sort of agree with this. The forums that spring to mind are the Unemployment and Redundancy / Welfare and Benefits. I can see why some people may be unsure which to post in between those and maybe it seems a little harsh to simply close them.

However, when people just post in the first forum they see without even scrollling down the board ( such as yesterday, there was a post in I think the Admin forum about a pension) then I think it is perfectly correct to simply close the thread.

JP

Did you read my reply? I have dealt with that in the other thread.

I had not realised that closing threads in the wrong forum is an example of condescension.

Brendan

Perhaps it would be fair to take account of "track record" as regards moderation?

If someone posts a lot, is generally not a problem, and occasionally posts something that someone views as off colour, then maybe it would be reasonable to remove the post and let them know to "keep it between the ditches", without going nuclear, taking into account that due to their track record they probably werent intentionally being offensive. I suppose its the online forum equivalent of a character witness, but you dont have to take someones word for it, by their posts they shall be judged.

Even penalty points expire after a while - probably in recognition that if someone is constantly driving they'll pick up an odd infraction without necessarily being a threat on the roads.

On the other hand if someone arrives, is a constant bother, then maybe a sterner tone is needed.

You are losing me here. Has this something to do with being condescending?

The discussion so far has been that telling people that they should obey the law is condescending.

Are people saying that the moderators are condescending because we ask people to adhere to the posting guidelines?

Should we frame this more positively?

Please show respect and good manners towards other posters
Please avoid abuse, condescenscion, rudeness

I don't think we need to go that far. There are some who are quick to moralise, then there are the posters themselves who take offence too quickly because they don't get the answer they want.

In some case the moral superiority is unjustified where a poster has fully admitted wrongdoing and is just looking for advice as to what to expect, but I would say that's actually the minority.

Having something so specific in T&Cs is open to abuse. I'd say most accusations of rudeness are related to misinterpretations of the question and/or response.

Most posts and responses are fine and helpful. I don't see any need for navel gazing just because things are a bit quiet.

I'd prefer it if the Posting Guide read:

"This is the internet, sometimes people disagree, sometimes you will be right, sometimes you will be wrong
Please avoid hypersensitivity and if offended by a dissenting voice take time out to weigh up if it's really worth burning calories over before firing off a response or complaint."

JP

Did you read my reply? I have dealt with that in the other thread.

I had not realised that closing threads in the wrong forum is an example of condescension.

Brendan

Yes. I was only trying to make a point that there may be times when people genuinely are unsure which is the correct forum to post in, particularly with something like unemployment/welfare which are so interlinked.

For the record I don't think it is condescending to close threads that are clearly in the wrong place.

You are losing me here. Has this something to do with being condescending?

I thought you were still looking for serious comment on improving the site. If you are strictly limiting the discussion to condenscending attitudes, I looked up, for myself, the definition (per Oxford Online):

Condescending: having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority

& as it was used in the defintion above, patronizing: treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority

So superiority is the common theme. Cant say I've suffered it here myself, but obviously people feel that on occasion those asking an ill-informed question or making an ill-informed comment get made to feel inferior by the superior gurus that inhabit these regions.

Hi Betsy

I thought you were still looking for serious comment on improving the site. If you are strictly limiting the discussion to condenscending attitudes,

I deliberately moved the bits about "condescending" to this thread to discuss them here. So no, I don't want this thread taken off topic with other suggestions. You are free to make them in the Suggestions forum.

Brendan

Does anyone have examples of threads where people feel that some posters are being condescending to genuine questions?

Compared to Boards and Politics, this site is very polite.

Now, be good little people and stop complaining. You don't understand what you are talking about....

I’ve been slapped down the odd time by moderators (ok, two moderators) and I haven’t always agreed with the reason but I’m very slow to criticise people who give their time for free to keep a site going that I enjoy using and find informative. Then there’s the fact that my ego isn’t fragile enough that I'd take personal umbrage because of a comment on the internet.

Guys, I got bounced off from other forums for much less... I promise :D I think this one of the most forgiving... :D

Condescending: having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority

Does this mean all us Corkonions are condescending, given that we know for a fact that we come from the greatest place on planet earth? :D

Seriously, I do sometimes read the responses to some posts and squirm. I can't recall the exact posts but I do recall people in effect being told to "go and google it". Likewise I've seen posts, in particuler those relating to employment rights, where people are in effect told to sod off because they have a job and shouldn't be complaining.

Does this mean all us Corkonions are condescending, given that we know for a fact that we come from the greatest place on planet earth? :D.

No, it just means you are langers!

Seriously, I do sometimes read the responses to some posts and squirm. I can't recall the exact posts but I do recall people in effect being told to "go and google it". Likewise I've seen posts, in particuler those relating to employment rights, where people are in effect told to sod off because they have a job and shouldn't be complaining.

To be fair, I remember somebody coming on who was doing a Thesis in college asking where they should go to find information on a topic. Like seriously, you are a third level student and you are asking on how to research something that you are doing a Thesis on. I may have said "go and google it" on that occasion. I apologise for that and for any offence caused.

I remember somebody coming on who was doing a Thesis in college asking where they should go to find information on a topic. Like seriously, you are a third level student and you are asking on how to research something that you are doing a Thesis on. I may have said "go and google it" on that occasion. I apologise for that and for any offence caused.

I admire your restraint.

Does this mean all us Corkonions are condescending, given that we know for a fact that we come from the greatest place on planet earth? :D.

Sorry if this might bring it off topic but, Chairman, on a point of information it is clear that Mpsox needs to read the following

delusion :an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder

Fair play to the mods for their work and managing the different areas, they are voluneers after all
Unless Brendan is paying them and in that case, are ya hiring??

The most condescending poster I've seen on this site was a mod though I don't think he's even around anymore.
Questions answered with a bad joke or a sneering attitude. I'm glad he's gone realy and I recognize he contributed a lot more to this site then I ever did

Does this mean all us Corkonions are condescending, given that we know for a fact that we come from the greatest place on planet earth? :D

Corkonians try to claim superiority in everything
They even stole the title of Jackeens of Ireland from the Dubs :p

Personally, I have always received helpful and polite responses, and indeed have learned a lot since joining AAM. Some posters such as the late Welfarite have made a huge contribution to making the site what it is. I have noticed posters especially on the 'Money Makeover' section put a lot of time and effort into helping others. I have also noticed where people are saying that they are upset/ at the end of their tether, there is always someone with a kind word to say, as well as practical advice. I think the moderation (which must be a thankless task) is very good on this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back