Some posters are condescending

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Banker

copied from another thread

But I agree that there is a condecending attitude from some posters and some new posters may not see beyond that and go elsewhere.

In my early days I had one of these posters report me to the mods for some minor infraction and I got a warning. Reminded me of when I was 7 in school and another classmate reported me to the teacher for talking.

You mean those that tell people what they don't want to hear Time? It's posters like those that make AAM what it is, not those that simply suggest that it's no harm evading paying tax! (Note Time is referring to this thread)
As others have pointed out, this time of year is always quiet on AAM.

It is the smug, condescending attitude of those that make such comments as if they never put a foot wrong in their lives at gets my goat.

It is the smug, condescending attitude of those that make such comments as if they never put a foot wrong in their lives at gets my goat.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority have not been involved in tax evasion.

It has always struck me that the zeal exhibited here in relation to taxation matters is remarkable. I hope ye are not joining up as Revenue auditors, they first few weeks would be spent pointing out that Martin Cahill type tactics are not appropriate .... to disappointed faces in the audience ;)

It reminds me a story I heard last week, first hand (the guy was there himself), that a tax case was up, was the 3rd and final on that day, the first involved a guy who beat his girlfriend such that she lost her baby, the 2nd was a paedophile case, but the judge saved his ire for the tax case where he went to town on the errant taxpayer.

So beware...............

I'd agree that the default position of many contributors is to condescend but this site is imperfect like any other. You take the best and you live with the rest.

Like any other forum, this one has its own culture and is moderated to ensure that the required standard is maintained. Start a thread about, say, casual sex and see how long it lasts.

At the risk of offending (steady....), this site is geared towards the middle class twee (or twee tolerant). You may not like everything about it but at least it doesn't seek to accomodate the lowest common denominator.

I'd agree that the default position of many contributors is to condescend.

You may not like everything about it but at least it doesn't seek to accomodate the lowest common denominator.

I hate arrogance, so if some divil asks a stupid question, or throws out a view you think is ill considered, wouldnt it be civil to just put them on the right path without stomping on them.

I'm delighted that simplistic tabloid sensationalism (Lowest C__ D__) gets tested here, everyone gets a better understanding when opposing views tease out the others position.

My only (minor) gripes are that there are some 'waiting to be offended' people, and the mods tend to be a bit school teacherish in such situation (the right to reply/defend is frowned upon) - so one rather finds one watching oneself lest, for example, the vernacular offends the hyper sensibilities of some.

I hate arrogance, so if some divil asks a stupid question, or throws out a view you think is ill considered, wouldnt it be civil to just put them on the right path without stomping on them.

I'm delighted that simplistic tabloid sensationalism (Lowest C__ D__) gets tested here, everyone gets a better understanding when opposing views tease out the others position.

My only (minor) gripes are that there are some 'waiting to be offended' people, and the mods tend to be a bit school teacherish in such situation (the right to reply/defend is frowned upon) - so one rather finds one watching oneself lest, for example, the vernacular offends the hyper sensibilities of some.

It is very rarely I see a poster get condescending when someone asks a question. I think people get aggitated at some of the advice given rather than the actual question itself.

I think it is the advice along the lines of 'you should/n't have done ' rather than offer what can I do now that irks people, but it is natural for people to point out the obvious.
When it boils down to it we shouldn't be offended because generally how you write isn't how you converse and therefore not a true representation of self.

Most people get annoyed when someone starts a thread asking "will I get away with it if ..."

and rightly so

Most people get annoyed when someone starts a thread asking "will I get away with it if ..."

and rightly so

Well, you have a right to BE annoyed and to express disagreement. But the expression of annoyance at someone else's standards assumes a moral authority that you don't necessarily have.

Well, you have a right to BE annoyed and to express disagreement. But the expression of annoyance at someone else's standards assumes a moral authority that you don't necessarily have.

So someone can ask 'Can I get away with this tax evasion' and no-one is allowed to express their feelings at such an attitude?

But the expression of annoyance at someone else's standards assumes a moral authority that you don't necessarily have.

So we have no right to express our annoyance at someone who wants to know if they will get away with breaking the law?

You're all right. The problem with this forum is exactly the same as the problem with every other internet forum: sometimes people are rude and sometimes people want an answer but don't like the answer they get.

Now if you all would just agree with me more often this would be a much happier place.

So we have no right to express our annoyance at someone who wants to know if they will get away with breaking the law?

How often does that really happen anyway?

But, in answer to your question, yes of course you do. But then equally you would have to accept other people's right to regard you as a condescending self-righteous prude who either doesn't a foot wrong or doesn't see when he does. (I don't mean you personally by the way.)

And by the way, the law is very often an ass. Just because someone might seek to circumvent it doesn't necessarily mean they're crooked or out to defraud.

Although things are undoubtedly simpler in the black or white world.

No-one thinks the world is black and/or white

I try reserve my condescending self-righteous prudishness for those who are obviously out to defraud the system

The remainder I refuse to dignify with a response!

Folks

I have moved these posts here for a serious discussion of this issue to see if we need to take any action on it. (Going through that "Why is askaboutmoney so quiet" thread, I had to sift through a lot of pointless comments, to try to get at the serious criticisms. So please keep this thread on topic and serious.)

I am not clear about what is meant by "condescending" in this context?

Are people being condescending towards new posters in ways other than "you shouldn't be evading tax" or "you deserved to get penalty points for speeding"?

We certainly won't be bringing in a Posting Guideline along the lines of "Do not express a view on the morality of tax evasion or otherwise breaking the law".

But I would hope that people are not condescending towards other posters on general questions.

This is the most relevant Posting Guideline

10 Do not abuse other posters
Controversy and argument are welcome. But please keep your comments civil. Attack an opinion by all means, but please don't attack the person expressing the opinion.Posts or threads which use language designed to be deliberately offensive or just to stir up trouble will be deleted.

Should we frame this more positively?

Please show respect and good manners towards other posters
Please avoid abuse, condescenscion, rudeness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back