Servicing Costs - Main Dealers

I think even better than a good independent is a nixer/retired or semi retired mechanic. This is where I have been getting my servicing done for the last 3 or 4 years. If you get to know a good local guy he'll never rip-off his neighbours and will be highly unlikely to do a shoddy job - cheaper too, and is likely to take more care/time with your car.

I think even better than a good independent is a nixer/retired or semi retired mechanic. This is where I have been getting my servicing done for the last 3 or 4 years. If you get to know a good local guy he'll never rip-off his neighbours and will be highly unlikely to do a shoddy job - cheaper too, and is likely to take more care/time with your car.

Correct me if I’m wrong but AFAIK nixers are not covered under contract law, so you’ll have no comeback if there are any issues

Correct me if I’m wrong but AFAIK nixers are not covered under contract law, so you’ll have no comeback if there are any issues

Probably right but doesn't really worry me TBH. Mightn't suit everyone.

In reality, if there were problems that go beyond normal service items I might make an alternative arrangement anyway.

I asked EP Mooney and the service would cost 297 Euros (first service for 06 Nissan with 30,000 km). Is that a reasonable price?

Funny to see this thread... was about to start my own on exactly this topic...

Just booked in to a Volvo main dealers in Cork for an '05 V50 2L Diesel, 80k km service - €360

Is this about right or overpriced? (Compared to other Volvo dealers I mean... I know there are other options except main dealer but it's still under warranty and I'd rather not risk that)

All motoring costs are a ripoff in this land of ours and servicing is a part of that and is used by unscrupulous main dealers as an aid to sales from time to time.
A close female relative now retired has a five year old small Japanese car which she has owned from new and now showing 26000 miles and in immaculate condition. On being consulted. I talked her out of trading it in but nevertheless she went to the main dealer to get a valuation and came home with her confidence completely shaken.

The sharp suit undermined her confidence by saying these things to her: 'once cars get on in years anything can happen' ....... how spare parts are always harder to get as cars get older and OH guess what..........the model she had was proving to be the most difficult to get parts for......second hand cars over 5 years old were worthless.........and the most irritating thing she found was that he kept referring to her car being "the older model".

The lady has been given a brief counselling on the planned obsolescence practices that drive the motor industry which is helping her to see the real world.
The truth is that her car is a little gem with no problems whatsoever and she was just being stroked by a conman. She's going to keep it now until it has 50K miles.

Well, I'll contact all the other Nissan dealers in the vincinity and keep you all posted.

Out of need when I was a student I learned to service my car. I was never into cars but very easily learned the basics.

I can do the basic service in about 1.5 hours and a person doing it every day would be much faster. I have been told that 1st yr and 2nd yr apprentices do this kind of stuff as senior mechanics do the more technically demanding work. I used to spend about €55 buying the parts for the service for my petrol car.

I know car dealerships have overheads and have to make money but in my opinion they are ripping people off.

I priced a towbar for my Audi A4 in Agnews in Portadown £870 sterling - was told it would take about 7 hours when I questioned the cost! Went to David Murphy in Carryduff and in 2.5 hrs and for £256 they did a very professional job.

As said above - there are plenty of smaller men who work from home and are very good mechanics - these guys usually charge much fairer prices and will do a service and give the car a good check for about €150. This kind of price is fair for everyone.

I work in a main dealership garage, and i myself find that the labour rate is extremely high, i do however recommend that if you are getting your car serviced in a smaller garage, non franchise garage etc, that u state clearly to the mechanic/technician if there is any doubt as to whether something is covered under warranty then make sure he doesnt touch that part as if it looks like it has been tamperred with then warranty will not cover that specific part etc. In order to keep your warranty a service history should be provided to prove fault occurred due to a fault in the car and not ownership neglect. I myself cannot afford to get my own car serviced where i work, but i have had to bring it back for warranty repair. Nothing was said to me getting it serviced elsewhere!

Well, of all the Nissan dealerships i contacted that are located somewhat conveniently (about 5) all bar one quoted me 290something, one came back with 260....

Just for futher comparisons, look at the price of cars. I've picked the current list prices (MY2008) of my last petrol car as an example (mine was MY2003) A Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2.5 litre 305 bhp US - $35,000 Ireland - €73,000 (US$107,900). US price may not include local state sales taxes, both prices are official Subaru RRP's.

Funny you should mention that - My car with the $27 servicing is an 05 STI!

God knows what a dealer at home would charge. Stay away from main dealers with crazy prices unless you have too much money and want to have less of it.

BMW's inspection's are the biggest rip off or all - 800 euro or something to do nothing.
I hear BMW ireland even list transmission fluid change on the inspection, even though they are sealed for life, and you are not supposed to change it.

BMW's in america cost 1/3 of the price and come with free servicing for 50,000 miles - Just shows the contempt that manufacturers treat the irish car buyer - Half of it is because people just accept getting ripped off and never complain. A bit of consumer education and some simple cop on would go a long way....

Well, of all the Nissan dealerships i contacted that are located somewhat conveniently (about 5) all bar one quoted me 290something, one came back with 260....

For a first service and they haven't even seen the car? They cannot presume any work out of the ordinary at that age/mileage.

Makes no sense. Are these big plush dealerships with huge overheads or something Petal? Nissan service is not generally expensive - in fact should be cheaper than Toyota I think - but look at Billo's post?!

Well, I went into Nissan.ie and selected "list dealerships" and contacted all the ones that are Dublin South, like Belgard, Kylemore, Liffely Valley, etc.... Think I'll look for a small garage. Can anyone recommend one around D12?

Over the years we've had a few nissans and my experience is that the dealers are poor and very expensive.

Well, I went into Nissan.ie and selected "list dealerships" and contacted all the ones that are Dublin South, like Belgard, Kylemore, Liffely Valley, etc.... Think I'll look for a small garage. Can anyone recommend one around D12?

I think that is crazy because you will invalidate your warranty to save €160. The cheapest legit operation will cost €100. That will cover oil change, oil filter, top up fluids and a cursory check of the car. Once you are out of warrenty, get a independent guy to service it.

As for the $27 service. That is due every 3k miles and really only amounts to an oil change. The overall service charges in the US are a bit better, but are not that different (ignoringng the $/€ difference - since US customers would be paying in $). http://www.watertownford.com/service-menu---maintenance-schedule.aspx

How in gods name do you invalidate the warranty by going to an independent?
As long as you follow the manufacturer recommended maintanence, and have receipts to back it up, they can't deny anything. This is a myth put out by those "honest" SIMI stealers.
I see BMW dealers like to charge 450 euro for a service, which is just an oil change.

And the $27 dollar servicing so far has included 4 new brembo pads, 2 new rear struts, a belt tensioner and an a\c belt, multiple rattles fixed, some bodywork tidying... etc as it sees a lot of track days...

I always understood that you had to have a car serviced by a authorised garage in the brands dealer network to keep the warranty valid. Otherwise theres no reason to do to a dealer.

Dealers may try to convince you of this (cos getting people to pay money like the OP is a nice little earner for the rubbish service they provide), but be sure to mention that under the ec block excemption you do not lose your car warranty provided it is serviced under manufacturer guidlines, which are available from the web.

If they want to challange that in court, they are more than welcome.

I do notice that no dealer has come on to say otherwise, but they are more than welcome...

Back