Servicing Costs - Main Dealers

P

PaulM01

I just had my 06 Toyota Rav 4 serviced today and was shocked to see that it came in at €650.

I was overcharged by €113 so I will be following up with the Service Manager tomorrow morning.

I was wondering if anyone would no how many hours labour should I be charged for a main service. My bill states I was charged 4 hours for the service and an hour each for brake pads and brake fluid change.

Any thoughts

I got a newish Focus annual service done by a main dealer for just below €150.

2 years and new pads and fluid sounds a bit premature though for your Rav 4.

I got a newish Focus annual service done by a main dealer for just below €150. 2 years and new pads and fluid sounds a bit premature though for your Rav 4.

Where was this dealer. Mine cost me just over 300 in Ford Motors Herberton Road.!!!!!!!!!! Also a focus.

... My bill states I was charged 4 hours for the service and an hour each for brake pads and brake fluid change....
I'm only a DIY'er and it wouldn't take me 6 hours, say 4 for oil, filters, brake-pads, swap wheels front to back, check fluids and road-test.

Surprising that a granny-car (sorry) like a Rav 4 would need pads after two years unless the mileage is very high, the school run is via Modello Park or its been towing.

Car Servicing is an organised ripoff by almost all the main dealerships and I should know because I worked in one for long enough. Now in my senior years, I offer this to the readership. The very best value in car servicing these days is to be found in the mobile auto servicing providers. Their prices are very realistic and get this: all the checks are done for certain. If needs be you can stand there and watch them or place your own marks to show you that the checks have taken place.

My last full service cost less than Euro150 and all done in one hour and twenty minutes in my own driveway plus he talked me through the service at the finish as he completed the form. The same service costs Euro 600 at the main dealers where I worked until recently. The last service I got done with that dealership cost me Euro450 because I got 25% off, being a former mate etc but much later I was satisfied that several of the service checks were not made.
Plus they give you a fully completed stamped and signed service certificate when completed. The points to be made in favour of supporting main dealerships will no longer convince me because quite simply I now know better.
The service I've used has a unit operating from somewhere in Glasnevin on the Northside and another from a South City location covering all the South side.

My 07 Passat cost me 485 for a service on Friday at VW dealers. Included were two tyres at 80 each plus vat but other than that everything was standard.

Thought it was very expensive.

OP, where did you get it serviced?
I paid €165 in Toyota main dealer for a RAV4, petrol version.

Car Servicing is an organised ripoff by almost all the main dealerships and I should know because I worked in one for long enough. Now in my senior years, I offer this to the readership. The very best value in car servicing these days is to be found in the mobile auto servicing providers. Their prices are very realistic and get this: all the checks are done for certain. If needs be you can stand there and watch them or place your own marks to show you that the checks have taken place.

My last full service cost less than Euro150 and all done in one hour and twenty minutes in my own driveway plus he talked me through the service at the finish as he completed the form. The same service costs Euro 600 at the main dealers where I worked until recently. The last service I got done with that dealership cost me Euro450 because I got 25% off, being a former mate etc but much later I was satisfied that several of the service checks were not made.
Plus they give you a fully completed stamped and signed service certificate when completed. The points to be made in favour of supporting main dealerships will no longer convince me because quite simply I now know better.
The service I've used has a unit operating from somewhere in Glasnevin on the Northside and another from a South City location covering all the South side.

This sounds great, I have a Toyota Avensis that will be needing a service soon. Could you PM me your guys details?

Cheers :)

I'm only a DIY'er and it wouldn't take me
but you'll lose your 3 years/100000km guarantee, so make sense to me for OP for get his 06 car serviced in 07 and 08 in main approved dealer.
Different story in 2009 as the 3 year will be up.

Put up an itemized list of what was done.
Sounds like you got well ripped off...

That car should be under warranty too, so don't know what they spent 4 hours doing.

but you'll lose your 3 years/100000km guarantee, so make sense to me for OP for get his 06 car serviced in 07 and 08 in main approved dealer. ...
This is not the case in the UK, where apart from warranty claim work, all routine servicing can be carried out by appropriate non-franchised garages. Yet another example of how the motoring public in Ireland is being bled by the main stealers.

Just to give some perspective.
I live in the US, and the most expensive service from a main dealer over 4 years was $27!
The threw on free brakes when the pads were worn under warranty - and they were brembo brakes too!

Quite what a RAV4 needed 650 of work for is beyond me...
What did the "service" part entail?

I live in the US, and the most expensive service from a main dealer over 4 years was $27!
Just for futher comparisons, look at the price of cars. I've picked the current list prices (MY2008) of my last petrol car as an example (mine was MY2003) A Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2.5 litre 305 bhp US - $35,000 Ireland - €73,000 (US$107,900). US price may not include local state sales taxes, both prices are official Subaru RRP's.

Last edited:
Would refuse to go to a main dealer for service. I get mine done in a local garage which sells a few second hands, has a staff of three or four very good mechanics and the cost of a full service is less than €100 — including all checks. They are to be found everywhere are often take more care of your car than those who work in dealerships.

I've only had bad experiences with main dealers. Overpriced doesn't begin to describe the rip off they are.A good independent is what you want. The mobile guy sounds interesting. I'll have to check them out.

As far as I am aware under EU law getting your car serviced by a non main dealer will not void the warranty remaining on your car make, and also most cars nowadays require to be hooked up to a computer for fault diagnosis so make sure your non franchised service provider can do this.

I have an 06 Nissan Note that needs servicing and had thought about leaving it in with EP Mooney on the Longmile Road as they're the closest Nissan garage.... After reading this I'm not so sure anymore, haven't got money to throw away. Any recommendations for South Dublin to get my Nissan serviced?

Did you call Mooney and ask for a quote for servicing? it may not be that much..

Back