Ryanair Hand Luggage Being Weighed

I feel short changed when I get shouted at by somebody who is supposed to be providing me a service.
So is your objection to the fact that she was speaking loudly/shouting ?

One time when I went through at Cork Airport they were so intent on weighing my bag, they didn't even check my passport. I always take a bag that meets the exact size requirements (I bought it for the purpose) and I am careful regarding the weight restrictions, so they seemed disappointed when it passed both checks. But they completely missed checking my passport. I stood at the gate and said "Does anyone want to check my passport then, and they just waved me through". To say I was disgusted with their priorities is an understatement!

I have met Miss Nasty at Dublin airport and I can assure you she treats Ryanair's customers like dogs.

i am travelling with them next week any chance of a brief description of miss nasty , just in case she is patrolling our area of departure.

i am travelling with them next week any chance of a brief description of miss nasty , just in case she is patrolling our area of departure.
Resembles a Russian weightlifter, complete with moustache, but dont worry - she will find you.

I have no argument with Ryanair's business model. However, I do have a problem with the way they deliver it. They could deliver a far more enjoyable experience to their customers without conceding anything financially. It's the snarling unfriendly unhelpful and unprofessional attitude that resonates from the company is what riles people. And the tone is set at the top of the organisation.

You may ask who am I to question how this multi billion Euro company is run? Well I have absolutely no doubt that Ryanair could make even more money by being a friendlier airline, as we all know people who actively boycott the airline.

Flying over to London at the end of the month with my wife and 4 yr old and flying with Cityjet into City airport. Deliberatley not flying Ryanair for a number of reasons.
-Bad experience with some of their staff at Dublin airport who had no manners. Not unique to Dublin thought, similer experiences in the past in Italy and Stansted
-Price wise, when you factor in the cost of the Stansted Express into London, the cost for the 3 of us was only an additional €80 combined to fly with Cityjet. Ryanair are not as cheap as they make themselves out to be when you factor everything in
-Really scary landing into Stansted the last time I flew with them. Not the first time I might add and don't want to give the smallie a complex about flying

I remember when Ryanair started off and in fairness, they did drive the price of flying down and did beat Aer Lingus up, who in hindsight, were a complete shower of rip off merchants back in the 80s/90s. I'd be far more likely to fly Ryanair in the future if they'd actually try to be nice and polite and helpful. Manners cost nothing and earn far more

Flying over to London at the end of the month with my wife and 4 yr old and flying with Cityjet into City airport. Deliberatley not flying Ryanair for a number of reasons.
-Bad experience with some of their staff at Dublin airport who had no manners. Not unique to Dublin thought, similer experiences in the past in Italy and Stansted
-Price wise, when you factor in the cost of the Stansted Express into London, the cost for the 3 of us was only an additional €80 combined to fly with Cityjet. Ryanair are not as cheap as they make themselves out to be when you factor everything in
-Really scary landing into Stansted the last time I flew with them. Not the first time I might add and don't want to give the smallie a complex about flying

I remember when Ryanair started off and in fairness, they did drive the price of flying down and did beat Aer Lingus up, who in hindsight, were a complete shower of rip off merchants back in the 80s/90s. I'd be far more likely to fly Ryanair in the future if they'd actually try to be nice and polite and helpful. Manners cost nothing and earn far more

A prime example of what I'm talking about.

Mpsox is happy to pay an €80 premium NOT to fly Ryanair. Ryanair could probably rectify Mpsox's biggest gripe at no cost.

I'm in a similar boat. Even for flights to the same airports, I'm happy to pay a premium to fly Aer Lingus or BMI.

EasyJet, Southwest and South Africa's Kulula are all "low cost airlines" and they're nice to fly with. The staff are good craic but you still have to pay for any extras. As I said earlier, the snarling rudeness seems to come from the top and it isn't funny, clever or a recipe for success. It just alienates people.

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences but as a very frequent flyer with Ryanair I have never once encountered unfriendly service from the airline. I fly out from Cork where the staff are always superb and I always ensure when coming back that I arrive early into busy Stanstead so I can check in at my leisure without having to endure any stress or hassle.

I never pay more than ten or fifteen euro for my flights and so far have always managed to get the tax free bargains. I have to pay the £9 for the bus from Stanstead into London but there is no way I would get such a cheap deal from Air Lingus not when I am flying every other week.

In general, I am a very happy customer and give them the thumbs up :)

How are weights controlled?

I have always wondered this, both for main checked in baggage and also when they weigh hand luggage. As scales are measuring a unit, should they be subjected to annual calibration? How do we know that when their scales say 12kg, they are not in fact out, and weighing 10kn in reality? Just a thought......and those hand held weights that previous poster mentioned, i'm not sure i would trust those too much. You can buy them readily as a guide, but not exact weights.

Perhaps we should start asking to see calibration certificates for scales when we are challenged in relation to baggage weight?

When you put your luggage on the belt at the check-in counter, there are two screens showing its weight, one facing the check-in personnel, the other one on top of the counter for you to see. This second screen has a little calibration sticker in the corner that shows the date when it is next due. I have seen overdue calibration - but it is rare and usually only slightly out of date. They do seem to take this part seriously.

Have to say that I will not fly Ryan Air with the family for two reasons,

1) Too stressful with the 15Kg weight limit being a big problem for check in baggage, the case weights 3 to 4 kg alone!

2) The carry on baggage being watched for size and weight.

Case in point, flew with Aer Lingus last week with a carry on bag that was 58cm x 40 cm x 24cm. Aer lingus staff only asked us to put it into the sizing machine at the gate, wouldn't fit obviously so they put in the hold. No charges!
On the way back, never asked or bothered us and it fits properly in the over head bin, weighed 9.5 Kg.

I do think the air lines need to allow some leeway on the carry on bag size, the weight is not an issue.

Result, no stress for familiy from irrate and nasty Ryan air staff, we have encountered this species of person at Gatwick when travlling light for football matches.

Looking at the prices that Ryanair are charging for their flights now there are no real bargains compared to the "old days".
I will not get an early morning Ryanair flight and I refuse to take a flight that will land me in an airport in the late evening. (Girona and Pisa to name just two)
To see the Ryanair staff shivering on the plane at 6.30.a.m. I just know that they are going to put the heat on full blast so they can be warm standing at the door. The rest of us are gasping for air at the back of the plane just so that Miss Cranky can keep herself warm.
I have enjoyed many Ryanair flights in the past and put up with the scrum and the inconvenience but that was when I grabbed lots of bargain flights to lots of different places. Now that I have reduced the number of flights that I take I am paying more attention to my comfort and convenience.
Having said that I see that Ryanair increased their April traffic by 10% so they couldn't give a toss what any of us think.

Obviously not everyone thinks like you do or else they couldn't have increased their traffic by 10% :-(

on the 15 kg business, last october i arrived in malaga airport , having already weighed my case in the hotel on 2 different machines, the case weighed 14,7 kilos. as i had plenty of time i weighed the case on 4 different luggage belts which were not being used and i got the following readings , 14.8--- 15.3 -- 15.5--and 15.6. when i arrived home i weighed it on a digital bathroom scale and the reading was 14.7. i weighed it in the section in malaga where the low cost airlines use .so much for calibration.

Back