Ryanair Hand Luggage Being Weighed

Ryanair have their terms and conditions and if you break any you pay. I can't see what is wrong with that.

Regarding the few Belgian thugs referred to by Olympian - serves them right.

They decide to have a protest on board because they didn't want to pay the fee, holding up the flight for everyone else. Ryanair were 100% right to throw them off.

just back from malaga they allow one airport shop bag plus hand luggage i asked one of the staff at the boarding gate and she reluctantly admitted to the bag plus.they are now charging 20cent per bag they also sell a big canvass bag like the original blue and green tesco one they sell.quite a number got on board with the bigger bag. incidentally the shops in the airport are more expensive than downtown.IE benson and hedges for 200 downtown 42-50 airport 46-90

Noticed a similar discussion on boards and someone there recommended this bag
[broken link removed]
I bought it and it certainly is very light weight, could be worth checking out.

dereko i was referring to plastic supermarket bags also i might ad that the airport shops are charging for the bags as i described in my postno 22 and not ryanair.

dereko i was referring to plastic supermarket bags also i might ad that the airport shops are charging for the bags as i described in my postno 22 and not ryanair.

That's why I didn't quote you in my reply, I wasn't responding to your point but more the general topic of the thread which was to do with weighing hand luggage.

I reckon that Ryanair sit around and have meetings about how to make the flying experience just a BIT more unpleasant. As well as having a beady eyed supervisor picking anyone with a largish bag out of the line for 'special attention', they now have a lady who reminds me of old German war movies walking up and down the queue shouting at people to tear off the bottom bit of the boarding card themselves.

Schnell, Schnell, dumkompfs

@ nobody in particular: As ever, rules are clear & Ryanair are still cheap.

If you don't like it don't fly with them.

Am I going mad or are the ones who complain the most the same ones who keep flying with them? Obviously their stinginess/money grabbing or perceived unfairness isn't enough to undermine the benefit of generally cheaper flights.

As well as having a beady eyed supervisor picking anyone with a largish bag out of the line for 'special attention', they now have a lady who reminds me of old German war movies walking up and down the queue shouting at people to tear off the bottom bit of the boarding card themselves.
In that case I hope they take over the supermarkets in this country as well, only have this lady shouting 'Women, have your purse out and ready when the checkout total comes up'.

If you don't like it don't fly with them.

Am I going mad or are the ones who complain the most the same ones who keep flying with them? Obviously their stinginess/money grabbing or perceived unfairness isn't enough to undermine the benefit of generally cheaper flights.
Those travelling on business generally don't get to choose the airline.

In that case I hope they take over the supermarkets in this country as well, only have this lady shouting 'Women, have your purse out and ready when the checkout total comes up'.
The Ryanair equivalent in retail would be the lady shouting 'Schell, Schnell, stack those shelves, and scrub down those floors before you come shopping here'

I'd go along with that...and while you are at it you have two seconds to put your change and receipt away and vacate the immediate area.....and don't block the doorway on the way out and someone help that man suffering from dehydration at the back of the queue.

As for Ryanair I am not so sure if they are still that cheap anymore. Maybe if you want to fly to Oslo when it's minus 10 degrees and be dropped miles from anywhere or arrive in Girona or Bergamo in the late evening unable to go anywhere else except to an overpriced hotel.

The Ryanair equivalent in retail would be the lady shouting 'Schell, Schnell, stack those shelves, and scrub down those floors before you come shopping here'
Nope. She is merely saying follow the instructions on the print-out of your boarding pass. Why do Irish people feel they are short changed if they have to do something that maybe a staff person could do ? It really is no big deal and is actually help move things along. It's in everyone's interest to get from A to B as quickly as possible.

The good thing about Ryanair is that they've brought down the cost of flying with Aer Lingus and other airlines with whom you feels less threatened.

That said, they cover significantly more routes which expands one's capacity for travel. It's a question of establishing the balance between comfort (none) and convenience (and even that's dubious).

http://www.airsafe.com/journal/issue13.htm makes for interesting reading, even if it's an old article.

With Ryanair it may be purely financial but I wouldn't like even 10kg on my head, not to mind Easyjet's ludicrous policy.

I'm not sure what your point is here, should we all wear helmets on planes?

Of all the flights you've taken, how many times will you have witnessed a bag falling on someone? Of those, how many were seriously injured? Of those would an 8kg bag have made a significant difference to a 10/12kg bag given the distance involved?

Who would you fly with given your safety concerns? Or is this just another excuse to bash Ryanair/Easyjet?

Nope. She is merely saying follow the instructions on the print-out of your boarding pass. Why do Irish people feel they are short changed if they have to do something that maybe a staff person could do ? It really is no big deal and is actually help move things along. It's in everyone's interest to get from A to B as quickly as possible.

I feel short changed when I get shouted at by somebody who is supposed to be providing me a service.

Same difference though - someone is choosing it and for good reason I can only assume.
THey are chosen because they are cheap.

Of all the flights you've taken, how many times will you have witnessed a bag falling on someone? Of those, how many were seriously injured? Of those would an 8kg bag have made a significant difference to a 10/12kg bag given the distance involved?

Who would you fly with given your safety concerns? Or is this just another excuse to bash Ryanair/Easyjet?

My point was that people moaning about airlines being tight on their baggage allowances rarely think of this.

Yes I have had an overhead locker open during a flight and I have been hit by a bag. Luckily it landed on my lap rather than my head. But it has made me re-consider what I bring on board a plane and where I stow heavier carry ons. And it frustrates me when I see people lugging massive/very heavy bags on board which are clearly bigger and/or heavier than the airline officially allows.

THey are chosen because they are cheap.

Well glad to hear somebody admit it these days!

That's all Ryanair have ever claimed to be.

Personally I don't care that much about anything else. For the record, I have never felt that I have received poor customer service from them. Never had a 5 star bum wiping from them either but I wasn't expecting to.

Thanks for sharing, it's good to know. It never happened to me, but often I wouldn't pass the 10 kg limit. Life is just getting tougher and tougher.

Back