Ryanair Hand Luggage Being Weighed

divadsnilloc

Be warned, Ryanair are now weighing hand luggage at the boarding gate. Yesterday in Fuerteventura, one of their staff went through the queue at the gate and picked out some bags which looked big/bulky and weighed it by attaching a hand held scales to the strap of the bag. Some people had to check them in and pay the €35 fee:(

its about time too.....ive witnessed people taking backpacks on board then trying to stuff them onto the overhead storage. rules are rules!

I saw a very handy construction in Bergamo airport the other day. Just before the security check, they had those metal baskets used to check bag sizes - and these were mounted on scales, checking weight as well. It is annoying when the rules get enforced only some of the time, seemingly randomly. When this equipment is used to check all bags, I think it all becomes very fair.

This weighing of random hand luggage has been happening for years and quite right too.
10kg is generous enough for hand luggage. Its hard now to get space overhead and many time the cabin staff advise to put your hand luggage at your feet.
People buy too much at the duty frees.The law should be changed so that duty frees should be at arrivals.
If you are carrying lead or gold bars in your hand luggage , then fly easy jet as no weight restriction applies as long as you can lift the bag to the overhead locker.

Piarco Airport in Trinidad has had duty free on arrival since 1995 at least. Thought it was a great system which should be emulated world wide.

Last time I flew Ryanair the staff went along the queue with a cardboard box of the same dimensions as the luggage should be and passed it over it. If it did'nt fit over then you had to pay.

are you serious:eek:
Yep - no weight limit on Easy Jet hand-luggage once it can be lifted into the overhead bins.

From their T&C's :
Save where the limits set locally are more restrictive, passengers are permitted one standard piece of hand baggage to a volume limit of 56x45x25cm (including wheels and pockets) (“Standard Hand Baggage”). It must fit without force into the gauges provided at check-in or departure gates. No weight restriction applies within reasonable limits — i.e. a passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance.

a friend just back from malaga with ryanair was told that they can now take 1 bag from the shop down at the gates on board now ,they did and there was no problem .they also reported that there is a notice to that effect on the pillars in the area of the gates has antone else seen or heard of this.

Ryanair have entered into this kind of agreement with select, individual airports. Airports get unhappy when people stop buying at the duty free shops because they cannot fit their goods in their one carry-on bag. And so the airports negotiate a deal with Ryanair. Be careful though, this applies only to a few selected airports. At all other airports, the Ryanair policy stands unchanged.

the head wrecking bit is when they weigh your check-in bags and dont let you average them out - so you get this ridiculous craic of stuffing items from 1 bag into another.

Its a bloody money racket, nothing else. Havent flown with family for years and dont forsee myself doing it either.

It is only fair if the rules are enforced equally, for everyone. I am all in favor of that. I keep using Ryanair all the time. By simply following the rules, which are stated clearly before booking and repeated on the boarding pass, I have never, ever run into any problems. It is people who try to sneak a few extra kilograms on board that end up paying extra.

Ryanair have their terms and conditions and if you break any you pay. I can't see what is wrong with that.

Regarding the few Belgian thugs referred to by Olympian - serves them right.

Saw this once in Scotland. Saw one couple take clothes out of their bags and put them on :D. That got the weight down ;)

Back