Questions re probate

Just remember jtk, we don't eat an apple by shoving it in our mouths and trying to swallow it all at once. We do it one bite at a time.
hahaha love this ! thank you
I'm trying to read through this document & whilst most of it makes sense & we have pretty much all the info required there's some questions we wouldn't be too sure about, I will write them up & post here if that's ok?

Last edited:
So this money does not form part of the estate. I understand

DIY probate is perfectly doable; but executors need to do their homework & have a methodical and precise approach.
we're very diligent & good at paperwork, SIL wants to employ a solicitor as it will take the weight off our shoulders but hubby is undecided because it's me that will be doing the actual work & currently I'm nursing a badly fractured humerus (bone between the shoulder & elbow).

Theres a thread on this board on DIY probate. Do a search there, a lot of questions are already covered.

If memory serves me right, revenue had a matching document explaining each question.

Reactions: jtk
Theres a thread on this board on DIY probate. Do a search there, a lot of questions are already covered.

If memory serves me right, revenue had a matching document explaining each question.
will do
I think I've got the revenue one already but will check
thank you

ok so, we've got the money from the CU (<€14,500) which hubby is going to use to pay the following:
- funeral costs;
- final nursing home bill;
- final pharmacy bill;
- final mobile phone;
- BER certificate
- cost of Probate
- anything else outstanding.....

I'm assuming that's all allowed at this stage?
I would not pay out all money, you need to hold money back (unless you can afford to pay things going forward out of your own income).

The undertaker will wait (normal). Nursing home might be ok to wait, ask them. In cases such as this people are very understanding - communication is key.

will do
I think I've got the revenue one already but will check
thank you
The more questions you ask on here the better. In addition, can you tell us how you get on each step of the way and scan up a copy of documents (deleting identifying bits). It will help others who are doing what you are doing. There's a possibility I'll be an executor again (unexpected family inheritance). But I said I'd only do it this time if a solicitor is hired as I've too much personal stuff to be doing this again on my own. Also as it's not my parent this time I'd just prefer it. I'd say max 5K for probate.

I would not pay out all money, you need to hold money back (unless you can afford to pay things going forward out of your own income).

The undertaker will wait (normal). Nursing home might be ok to wait, ask them. In cases such as this people are very understanding - communication is key.
I'm trying to tell hubby that he should go slowly & not rush into paying things as he doesn't yet know how much MIL was overpaid by both her English & Irish pensions, but he's someone who likes things to be all organised & paid so he & SIL know where they stand.

we can afford to pay some things out of our own pocket, but we shouldn't have to if he just waits for things to settle down :rolleyes:

SIL wants hubby to go & ask undertakers if there's any discount for paying early, they can only say no, that's the biggest bill so hubby & SIL want to get it out of the way.

Nursing home are happy to wait until the end of august

just for info, three of the four beneficiaries live in UK so they need a PPS number, the Department of Social Protection, Shannon Lodge, Carrick on Shannon, Leitrim, were extremely quick in dealing with the requests & issued the required numbers in just 2/3 days, we were very impressed!

A question re filling out the SA.2 form - on page 20 of the help file it says "Details of beneficiaries must be provided where their current benefits exceed €12,000....." two of the beneficiaries are left €1,000 each but hubby & SIL are left MIL's house jointly.
I know the 1st answer is 'no'
Not sure of no. 2 ?
3rd is 'no'

just for info, three of the four beneficiaries live in UK so they need a PPS number, the Department of Social Protection, Shannon Lodge, Carrick on Shannon, Leitrim, were extremely quick in dealing with the requests & issued the required numbers in just 2/3 days, we were very impressed!

Do the beneficiaries have to apply for the PPS numbers themselves, or can the executor do it on their behalf. If the former, what can be done if a numpty won't apply?

Do the beneficiaries have to apply for the PPS numbers themselves, or can the executor do it on their behalf. If the former, what can be done if a numpty won't apply?
My understanding of the form is that the beneficiaries have to apply for their own PPS no, as they have to give proof of ID & other info that an executor wouldn't necessarily have.

You'll have to be clearer, I've no idea what your question is.
This is the page I'm referring to:
There's no surviving spouse or civil partner so I'm assuming the answer to no. 1 is 'No.'
no.2 "Is every beneficiary expected to receive a benefit of less than €12,000" - two of the beneficiaries are left €1,000 each but hubby & SIL are left MIL's house jointly, they're not getting any money; jewellery or anything else & won't get their share until house is sold in maybe 6mths so I don't know what to put here
no.3 "will the whole estate be donated to charity - No

1692459065785.png

I believe no is the answer to the 2nd question, and your husband's and SIL's details need to be entered as their benefit from the estate, when realised, will exceed €12,000.

So your query relates to Question 2 in the images you posted.

And that asks if *every* beneficiary will receive less than €12k.

From what you have said there is a property to be sold and the proceeds divided between your husband and his sister.

You have a valuation, or at the very least an approximate idea of the value of the property.

You should be able to calculate an approximation of the total liabilities of the estate.

So do you think it likely that the total assets of the estate less the total liabilities of the estate will come to €24k or less?

IANAL

So your query relates to Question 2 in the images you posted. yes

And that asks if *every* beneficiary will receive less than €12k.

From what you have said there is a property to be sold and the proceeds divided between your husband and his sister. yes

You have a valuation, or at the very least an approximate idea of the value of the property. approx. valuation is €325,000

You should be able to calculate an approximation of the total liabilities of the estate. yes this comes to roughly €42,500

So do you think it likely that the total assets of the estate less the total liabilities of the estate will come to €24k or less? total assets = €335,000 (house & cash) minus €42,500 = €282.500 so yes it exceeds €24k

IANAL
thank you for your help

Back