Questions re probate

thank you for that link, so if I just copy & paste the whole of that & fill out the relevant bits, I just need to get the cousin to complete her bit, get it witnessed & give it in when we apply of probate?

in Form no.1 'THE HIGH COURT PROBATE, Add where appropriate, "The District Probate Registry at ....... do I just put in the office'?
Do not get the cousin to complete anything, you do up the document and get her to sign it etc.

Reactions: jtk
Do not get the cousin to complete anything, you do up the document and get her to sign it etc.
Bronte, I did as you suggested & downloaded the form, filled it out with my MIL's details, printed out two copies one for the cousin & one for SIL which they've both signed correctly.... hubby is taking these |& a death cert to solicitor Wednesday in order to get the original will.

Are you going to another solicitor for the probate? Did you get a quote?
no, we're hoping that as there's only 4 beneficiaries (hubby here in Ireland, others in uk who're getting PPS numbers) it should be straightforward enough, but he's going to ask for a quote when he gets the will.

because funds in bank are <€35,00 & CU <€16,00 (inc death ins), they're both happy to release funds to hubby, so he can pay funeral expenses & final nursing home bill.

I assume we're allowed to continue paying utility bills out of that money seeing as SIL is coming over to help with clearance? we need to sell the property asap in order to pay the HSEFair deal loan back

I'm not sure of our next step?
- valuation by auctioneer (approx. €350,000)
- get a BER cert
- complete a Letter of clearance from Revenue IT8
- apply for Probate by sending documents via registered post

what am I missing?

thank you for your help

I'm not sure of our next step?
- valuation by auctioneer (approx. €350,000) yes you will need an official valuation (be aware of dates for Inheritance tax, check revenue.ie), auctioneer might do it for 'free' if you are hiring him to sell,
- get a BER cert (yes it will be needed to sell)
- complete a Letter of clearance from Revenue IT8 (this I can' remember but you've to fill out a tax form for all the beneficiaries)
- apply for Probate by sending documents via registered post - can you drop them off and chat to the court staff to see you are doing things right
Yes you pay for utilities etc, you pay for everything and keep a receipt for everything. And you need to do whatever is required to keep the house maintained, all costs come out of the estate. You will need a solicitor for the conveyance. If there's nobody in the house then you can put it up on the market (subject to probate).

There are special rules for beneficiaries abroad.

You will also need to know if any of them had a prior inheritance. Be very careful, because if I remember rightly, the executor is financially liable if the tax is not paid/declared correctly.

You may receive gifts and inheritances up to a set value over your lifetime before having to pay CAT. Once due, it is charged at the current rate of 33%

You do not pay CAT on a gift or an inheritance if either:

• the total is below the relevant group threshold amount (when its value is added to previous gifts and inheritances in the same group).
Group B

The Group B threshold applies where you, the beneficiary, on the date of the gift or inheritance are:

• a brother or sister of the disponer
Tax

Tax-free thresholds
Group AGroup BGroup C
On or after 9 October 2019€335,000€32,500€16,250

Take 300K (VERY rough figures)

/2 = 150K each, less tax free amount 32.5 = 117500. Taxed at 33% = 38775 Tax (each) leaves you with 111K each.

Tax will be higher if they already inherited. And the UK, well that's a different story. I wouldn't be paying out anything until well cleared by revenue.

Bronte, thanks a mill, it's getting a lot clearer in my head now. :)

yes we're keeping a list of payments & have receipts for absolutely everything

I thought hubby & SIL would fall under Group A being son & daughter of the disposer? neither have had any prior gifts in their lifetimes

from reading through that link to the revenue guide it appears we won't need to complete the IT8 as funds are less than €50,000

a trip in to town is on the horizon :)

Take 300K (VERY rough figures)

/2 = 150K each, less tax free amount 32.5 = 117500. Taxed at 33% = 38775 Tax (each) leaves you with 111K each.

Tax will be higher if they already inherited. And the UK, well that's a different story. I wouldn't be paying out anything until well cleared by revenue.
yes we understand the calculation, we're very cautious people n won't be dividing the money until we're absolutely certain it's all correct

Bronte, thanks a mill, it's getting a lot clearer in my head now. :)

yes we're keeping a list of payments & have receipts for absolutely everything

I thought hubby & SIL would fall under Group A being son & daughter of the disposer? neither have had any prior gifts in their lifetimes

from reading through that link to the revenue guide it appears we won't need to complete the IT8 as funds are less than €50,000

a trip in to town is on the horizon :)
You are entirely correct, I thought it was siblings. That's a relief, I was trying to figure out how you could avoid paying revenue a whopping 80K ! I hate paying revenue anything.

No trips to town until money is in the bank ............. And then I suggest a town far away ...... a trip of a lifetime to remember their mother, something she'd love them to do to make themselves happy.

You are entirely correct, I thought it was siblings. That's a relief, I was trying to figure out how you could avoid paying revenue a whopping 80K ! I hate paying revenue anything.

No trips to town until money is in the bank ............. And then I suggest a town far away ...... a trip of a lifetime to remember their mother, something she'd love them to do to make themselves happy.
ok so, we've got the money from the CU (<€14,500) which hubby is going to use to pay the following:
- funeral costs;
- final nursing home bill;
- final pharmacy bill;
- final mobile phone;
- BER certificate
- cost of Probate
- anything else outstanding.....

I'm assuming that's all allowed at this stage?

when the house is sold we've to pay back the HSE Fair Deal loan scheme out of the proceeds, then other beneficiaries can have their money (€1,000 each to 2 grand children & remainder split between hubby n SIL)

hubby is wondering what the (very rough) costs of a solicitor getting probate would be & if it would be quicker?

You’ll have too decided what is happening with assets within the property.
there's absolutely nothing of value in the place, mostly nik-naks n stuff that nobody really wants, I tried selling her tv for €50 & a guy laughed at me!
clothes, shoes, handbags & as much other stuff as possible I'm taking to charity shops

there's absolutely nothing of value in the place, mostly nik-naks n stuff that nobody really wants, I tried selling her tv for €50 & a guy laughed at me!
clothes, shoes, handbags & as much other stuff as possible I'm taking to charity shops
Just make sure too check everything before you give them away.

yes there was, in favour of hubby & SIL
So this money does not form part of the estate.

DIY probate is perfectly doable; but executors need to do their homework & have a methodical and precise approach.

Back