PTSB Customer Service....Dreadful.

Grizzly

I opened a new Fixed Term account in a PTSB branch, Dublin Southside.

During the opening process I was told that I would receive a confirmation in the post immediately from their head office Nine days later and nothing.

I tried to phone the branch. The number no longer exists.

I sent them an email info@permanenttsb. This no longer exists.

I contacted the customer service centre by phone They didn't know how to help. Kept putting me on hold. They tried to ring the branch but no response so they said they would send them an email to contact me. They did not know my name or address details at this stage nor could they remember the branch sorting code or my account number that I had given them. I am not sure what information they would have put in their email.

Their customer complaint form only takes 500 characters, not enough.

My first foray with PTSB and not looking good so far.

As Ulster were leaving Ireland we made an effort to open an account with PTSB. Patrick street Dublin near the O'Connell statute. We got such a complete run around we gave up. Their staff, in particular X upstairs in that branch was one of my worst customer experiences ever. X was supposed to send us an email afterwards and never did.

My missus has a PTSB account with a balance of 1 cent in it. That balance has been there since 2016. She has been unable to transfer the balance to either of her other online PTSB accounts, so a few years ago we lodged 99 cents to the account and tried to transfer the €1; but no dice!

Twice a year they send her a statement by post. That costs them €1.00 postage plus the cost of the stationery.

On a number of occasions she has contacted them by phone and by twitter and asked them to close the account and give the balance to charity, but they have told her that this is impossible and she will have to calls in in person to her 'local' branch to do so. Our nearest PTSB branch is 40 minutes drive away and if she calls in - which she has done once or twice - there is never anyone available to talk to her so she is told to make an appointment. Frankly she has better things to do with her time.

At this stage she is playing silly buggers with them and waiting until someone in PTSB with a three digit IQ (there must be someone!) realises that this is no way to run a business.

Their staff, in particular X upstairs in that branch was one of my worst customer experiences ever. X was supposed to send us an email afterwards and never did.
X it seems is now answering the phones in their customer service department. All she can say is "I will send an email", despite the fact that I actually wanted her to take ownership of my query rather than pass it on to someone else.

Learning point: If someone tells you that their name is X, you are unlikely to get good service from them.

Brendan
I'd be x'ed out of here pretty quick if I named them.

It would be nice if there was a consumer advocate who took up the experiences of ordinary people with banks. Someone who has access to bankers or go to their meetings. When I eventually got to open an account, which is particularly difficult, it was only when I refused to leave unless they wrote it down that they were refusing to do what I was asking that the manager was called and I got sorted.

They now have a unique torture of expecting you to stand at a tall desk, with glass in front of it, and no where to put your bag/documents while they try their best to get rid of you. The last time that happened, also BofI but different branch it took a lot of perseverance until they realised I was going nowhere and got called into one of their offices to get sorted. I'd received a lot of bank cards and needed to figure out which was which account etc and you can't sit at the bank machine and do it that way.

It is one thing to say do everything online, and I'd much rather not go into a bank at all, but to design the place so as to make it impossible to do business properly is a policy.

Same experience a different time when I needed certified copies for the bank in order to get money released as I was an executor. It is not pleasant having to try and explain this in public.

As I get older it's noticeable how elderly people in particular find all of this very difficult.

Last edited:
X it seems is now answering the phones in their customer service department. All she can say is "I will send an email", despite the fact that I actually wanted her to take ownership of my query rather than pass it on to someone else.
Happened to me yesterday in relation to an internet company. (not Ireland) 1st person put me on hold for 25 minutes so I gave up. Later 2nd person said they didn't speak English and gave me another number, 3rd one at that number said they didn't speak English and gave me a different number, as this was a very different number I asked is that line open at this time, which they knew very well it was not, but they just try and fob you off.

Currently waiting for SSEairtricity to get back to me on an massive gas bill because Gas networks has refused to take my meter readings for nearly 2 years and I'm disputing them charging me current unit rates. Reading accepted when I sold. (it was refused as Gas networks decided it was too high). I had photos etc. But they wanted me, abroad, to get a newspaper of that day and a photo. After the fact. I have a phone date from when they were sent to me. Oddly it's not like I was trying to lie to get a lower bill, the opposite, I was trying to pay.

My complaint to the PTSB on their online form was not even acknowledged. I have no idea if someone has read it or is dealing with it.

I have been trying to contact my local PTSB branch in Stillorgan by phone. Their phone number listed online no longer exists. So, I went on to the PTSB's Find a Branch page on their website for contact details.

They list a FAX number and no phone number. About as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Ptsb may well have very bad customer service but their monitoring of customer outgoing transfers is very efficient.

I was out for a meal in a very nice restaurant called Damascus Gate, in Terenure on Tuesday night. I paid 5 euro to my daughter as part of the bill, into her N26 account later that night. First thing Wednesday I got a phone call from Ptsb enquiring about the 5 euro transfer from my account to a bank in Germany. I told the caller that it was a genuine transfer. He then told me he needed to know what was the meaning of the transaction reference. The wording of the reference was "Damascus Gate and my daughter's name".

The only logical explanation that I can see is that Ptsb were suspecting that I was making a 5 euro donation to Hamas.

Ptsb should reorganise their Hamas donation monitoring staff into the customer service office.

Last edited:
I have been trying to contact my local PTSB branch in Stillorgan by phone. Their phone number listed online no longer exists. So, I went on to the PTSB's Find a Branch page on their website for contact details.

They list a FAX number and no phone number. About as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Someone for the craic send a fax (if that's even still possible) and see if X gets it...

I sent them an email info@permanenttsb. This no longer exists.

They sent out an email in September this year containing the following. You could try [email protected] and see what happens.

Hi

We are writing to let you know that we are changing our email address from @permanenttsb.ie to @ptsb.ie.

This means if you have previously engaged with us via email, you may still receive correspondence from both @permanenttsb.ie and @ptsb.ie over the coming weeks, as we migrate.

Ptsb may well have very bad customer service but their monitoring of customer outgoing transfers is very efficient.

I was out for a meal in a very nice restaurant called Damascus Gate, in Terenure on Tuesday night. I paid 5 euro to my daughter as part of the bill, into her N26 account later that night. First thing Wednesday I got a phone call from Ptsb enquiring about the 5 euro transfer from my account to a bank in Germany. I told the caller that it was a genuine transfer. He then told me he needed to know what was the meaning of the transaction reference. The wording of the reference was "Damascus Gate and my daughter's name".

The only logical explanation that I can see is that Ptsb were suspecting that I was making a 5 euro donation to Hamas.

Ptsb should reorganise their Hamas donation monitoring staff into the customer service office.
Bet their algorithm is triggered by Damascus/foreign account. Try Putin the next time and see if you get a call back. I'd actually like you to do this for the craic like.

Imagine they have time for phone calls for this but if you actually want to speak to them it's a no go.

Back