PTSB Customer Service....Dreadful.

They apparently spent millions and years on this rebranding. When An Post rebranded An Post money a while back, they had a slogan saying' Human about money' or something similar. This is just a rip off.
It is also exposing their customer service staff to ridiculous levels of abuse. Any time they they don't or can't do anything to help, they are going to get the slogan thrown at them. Having a human prescence in branches is not the same as having a human approach. Their job is make money. They need to stop pretending otherwise.

Having a human presence in branches is not the same as having a human approach. Their job is make money. They need to stop pretending otherwise.

I want them to make money because, as an Irish taxpayer, I part-own about 57% of the company!

(But I also want them to give me decent customer service.)

I want them to make money because, as an Irish taxpayer, I part-own about 57% of the company!

(But I also want them to give me decent customer service.)
Their customer service is no better or worse than anywhere else. So far this week, I have spent hours dealing issues and being giving the run around by BOI, Bord Gais, FedEX and Sky. None of them have customer service agents equipped to solve problems. They are all just there to take your details and listen to you moan!
They are not more human than AIB or BOI. You go in and tell them you can't pay their mortgage this week because you have a sick child, they will deal with you exactly the same way as BOI or AIB.
I know someone who worked in PTSB and they said the biggest issue in branches was their technology was 30 years out of date. Asking for something like a tablet that you could use in front of customers and you were told, 'You have some notions'..

Asking for something like a tablet that you could use in front of customers and you were told, 'You have some notions'..

Maybe something like this? To Eamonn with my compliments, it runs PoinytStik OS XXI or earlier.

1258787003.jpeg

Their customer service is no better or worse than anywhere else.

You are fully entitled to your opinion which of course, may or may not be utter nonsense.

I have received excellent service from both ESB Networks and the Department of Social Protection in the past week. And a couple of weeks ago, I received top-class support from GoMo. The Revenue Commissioners have provided me with consistently excellent service over the past decade or longer. But that's my personal experience and I wouldn't for a second claim that it's definitive proof that they're all excellent.

One thing that I would claim however is that PTSB's customer service is appalling.

Their customer service is no better or worse than anywhere else. So far this week, I have spent hours dealing issues and being giving the run around by BOI, Bord Gais, FedEX and Sky. None of them have customer service agents equipped to solve problems. They are all just there to take your details and listen to you moan!
They are not more human than AIB or BOI. You go in and tell them you can't pay their mortgage this week because you have a sick child, they will deal with you exactly the same way as BOI or AIB.
I know someone who worked in PTSB and they said the biggest issue in branches was their technology was 30 years out of date. Asking for something like a tablet that you could use in front of customers and you were told, 'You have some notions'..
All the more reason they shouldn't be skimping on actual staff in branches to sort issues manually. If you have 30 year old tech you need staffing levels of 30 years ago.

But of course, they have millions for superficial rebranding but not for the stuff that matters.

All the more reason they shouldn't be skimping on actual staff in branches to sort issues manually. If you have 30 year old tech you need staffing levels of 30 years ago.

But of course, they have millions for superficial rebranding but not for the stuff that matters.

They don't to be fair. They are the only bank not closing branches and letting people go in their branch network. They bought ulster bank branches. Easily could not have bothered. They have obviously decided that's their USP but plainly have way to go...

You are fully entitled to your opinion which of course, may or may not be utter nonsense.

I have received excellent service from both ESB Networks and the Department of Social Protection in the past week. And a couple of weeks ago, I received top-class support from GoMo. The Revenue Commissioners have provided me with consistently excellent service over the past decade or longer. But that's my personal experience and I wouldn't for a second claim that it's definitive proof that they're all excellent.

One thing that I would claim however is that PTSB's customer service is appalling.

I have used all the banks over the years. I have seen excellent and awful customer service from all of them....just bemused that there is an entire thread on PTSB after the recent antics of BOI and especially AIB.......Like I said , none of them are shining examples of customer service.

I opened a new Fixed Term account in a PTSB branch, Dublin Southside.

During the opening process I was told that I would receive a confirmation in the post immediately from their head office Nine days later and nothing.

I tried to phone the branch. The number no longer exists.

I sent them an email info@permanenttsb. This no longer exists.

I contacted the customer service centre by phone They didn't know how to help. Kept putting me on hold. They tried to ring the branch but no response so they said they would send them an email to contact me. They did not know my name or address details at this stage nor could they remember the branch sorting code or my account number that I had given them. I am not sure what information they would have put in their email.

Their customer complaint form only takes 500 characters, not enough.

My first foray with PTSB and not looking good so far.
I opened the same type of account yesterday at the local PTSB branch. I had to visit a few weeks back , to open a “ profile” account - bring ID etc. they opened an online account there and then for me , gave me a receipt - I now have the Ptsb app on my phone showing my balance - was very easy really - I would say , call into the branch , locally and make an appointment - use the Facebook message to contact - I can’t say anything negative about it really - keep the faith !!!!

They don't to be fair. They are the only bank not closing branches and letting people go in their branch network. They bought ulster bank branches. Easily could not have bothered. They have obviously decided that's their USP but plainly have way to go...
Those other banks have put huge money into IT / technology. We are hearing PTSB still has first generation tech from 30 years ago.

They spent millions on a nonsenee rebranding.

Whats the point of buying branches if you dont have the staff or tech to support them?

In my case, the staff in my local branch did not do what they said they would. On the second visit they said they would contact their Head office and get back to me. They didn't.

Their staff member in customer service didn't do what she said she would.

Nobody in their head office is answering my email and nobody has acknowledged the online complaint I made.

What more can I do? NOBODY is doing anything.

I opened a Fixed Term account for €100k. It is a decent sum of money. I expected a little respect.

Altogether More Human.......my ar**.

Seems their strategy is never to react to any complaint unless you add the following sentence: "This letter is a complaint as defined by the FSPO. In line with FSPO guidelines, I expect a response within 14 days after receipt." Once I had done that they did get back to me eventually.

Last edited:
I find that sending by Registered Post and plastering “BY REGISTERED POST WITH RECORDED DELIVERY” in bold across the top of the letter always gets a response from banks. Also really puts the wind up Civil Servants, State Savings and their ilk.

Using An Post’s Digital Stamp and putting “SENT WITH RECORDED DELIVERY” has also worked for me and costs a mere €2.

I know someone who worked in PTSB and they said the biggest issue in branches was their technology was 30 years out of date
Most of the ATM system is running on technology that is older. It's usually when some bright spark comes up with a more modern way of doing it that problems start to appear.

Those other banks have put huge money into IT / technology. We are hearing PTSB still has first generation tech from 30 years ago.

They spent millions on a nonsenee rebranding.

Whats the point of buying branches if you dont have the staff or tech to support them?
Bank of Ireland have spent over a billion on 'updating' their IT over the last few years. I have not seen any actual improvement in functionality.

Back