Poor oul Tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
These were under the counter payments. That's not my description, that's from The Irish Independent.

Ah come on now, Odyssey...........as a great man once said, you just can't believe everything you read in the press, right?!

Ah come on now, Odyssey...........as a great man once said, you just can't believe everything you read in the press, right?!
If you believe this was a 'clerical error', please sign this direct debit contract on the bottom line :)

They were under the counter payments. I cited the Irish Independent lest I be accused of making it up.

Another wit posted this elsewhere on social media and I had to repost it here :)

627a2415-e2b5-4848-baaf-3acb126ac039.jpeg

Firstly, there should be no bad language on AAM! Rule 2 of the posting guidelines is very clear about this and even cites a synonym of the offensive word above as an example. Do you accept?

Secondly, as far as I understand the story, TUBS did nothing illegal - I think he is entitled to his good name and associating Tubs with illegality is unfair. Do you accept?

Firstly, there should be no bad language on AAM! Rule 2 of the posting guidelines is very clear about this and even cites a synonym of the offensive word above as an example. Do you accept?

Secondly, as far as I understand the story, TUBS did nothing illegal - I think he is entitled to his good name and associating Tubs with illegality is unfair. Do you accept?
I had to re-read your post several times as I could not relate the reaction to a cartoon. It is from a TV show The Simpsons which is broadcast to children by RTE during daytime. The text was spoken on screen. Are you familiar with it?

It doesn't mean Tubridy has a secret illegal account. It is poking fun at RTE and Tubridy tripping up over themselves whenever they open their mouths. Keep watching this story. Was Tubridy paid for work he didn't actually do? What exactly were these payments for? Did he fulfil the declared duties?

In one case, Mr Tubridy was paid €150,000, but the cost to RTÉ was €230,000 including €80,000 in fees.

Last edited:
So yes, on the basis of what's been revealed to date, tubs (BTW, always be suspicious of people in public life who give themselves their own nickname) is not guilty of any illegality. He is guilty, however, of gross hypocrisy and a grevious breach of trust with the viewership and the general public.

You would, no doubt, accept this?

It will be interesting to see if some of the other posters who disagree with me on poor Tubs will wish to distance themselves from this comment.
Really? Which bit of the comment?
"Catastrophic climate change" is clearly a part of public discourse.
It is most certainly ideological (whether you agree or disagree with it)
And it is a bandwagon with an ever increasing coterie of clambering on participants.
Of which RTE happens to be a prominent and relatively recent addition.

Hard to see any of that being factually disputable!

I agree RTE was pulling a stroke in the sense of they were claiming that Turbidy's pay-cut was greater than it effectively was. I think it's a bit of a leap to add a second charge that this round-about payment wasn't taxed properly. I have seen no suggestion of that. I understood that RTE is trading at a loss so what tax benefit could even be gained here by RTE?
Good question! Here's the answer. RTE uses the argument that it cut "top presenters" pay to justify asking for government support, licence fee increase etc etc. It published detailed lists of what the "top presenters" were paid to support its case. The amounts in that list were falsified. There's a legal name for that. It's called "making a gain by deception" and it's an offence under Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001.

Really? Which bit of the comment?
"Catastrophic climate change" is clearly a part of public discourse.
It is most certainly ideological (whether you agree or disagree with it)
And it is a bandwagon with an ever increasing coterie of clambering on participants.
Of which RTE happens to be a prominent and relatively recent addition.

Hard to see any of that being factually disputable!

Good question! Here's the answer. RTE uses the argument that it cut "top presenters" pay to justify asking for government support, licence fee increase etc etc. It published detailed lists of what the "top presenters" were paid to support its case. The amounts in that list were falsified. There's a legal name for that. It's called "making a gain by deception" and it's an offence under Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001.
Setting aside discussion of RTE's current affairs agenda...

Let's focus on hammering home the lies behind RTE playing the poor mouth and justification of Tubridy's salary.

The amounts were also used to justify the amount that was declared as Tubridy's salary, and justified his salary on the basis of the commercial revenue brought in
So Tubridy clearly gained from this arrangement also, from what is effectively public money. He has morally defrauded taxpayers.

I find it strange that this came to light in March and only now, just as there is a changing or the guard at senior level in RTE, is it coming to light.
Breaking news.

But sure yeah this was just a clerical error. Pull the other one Ryan

RTÉ Board confirms Director General Dee Forbes suspended​

This needs to be sorted now , today. The longer this goes on the worse it will be for everyone. Not have it dragging on like everything in this country.
There should be a television license voucher for everyone in the audience....

This needs to be sorted now , today. The longer this goes on the worse it will be for everyone. Not have it dragging on like everything in this country.
There should be a television license voucher for everyone in the audience....
I find it really hard to care about this.

I find it really hard to care about this.
Well you should! RTE has an outsize influence on public discourse. Most of which favours their lefty-centric worldview, that requires taxpayers to stump up high marginal rates of tax at absurdly low income levels. You're paying on the double. Once for their leftwing, statist policies. A second time for RTE to to constantly push out osmosis like advocacy for these policies.

Defund them now!
Drain the swamp!

Well you should! RTE has an outsize influence on public discourse. Most of which favours their lefty-centric worldview, that requires taxpayers to stump up high marginal rates of tax at absurdly low income levels. You're paying on the double. Once for their leftwing, statist policies. A second time for RTE to to constantly push out osmosis like advocacy for these policies.

Defund them now!
Drain the swamp!
I agree that RTE are strongly left wing and biased but the solution is to make them more balanced and neutral, not to get rid of them.
I refer to them as the Public Sector Broadcaster, not the Public Service Broadcaster, but at least they are somewhat accountable to our parliament (which is possibly why they are so pro-Shinner).

I suppose Dee F is suspended with pay. That's just the RTE Board looking after her.

This way, she gets her pay, gets her holiday and avoids those pesky calls for her to return and the music face.

I agree that RTE are strongly left wing and biased but the solution is to make them more balanced and neutral, not to get rid of them.
Ok, but how do you do that? I'd be all for it if it was possible, but realistically, I don't think it is. The ideologues are too entrenched, too embedded and the leftwing bias is so pervasive it has seeped into every nook and cranny of the organisation.

Even if you appointed a completely new RTE Authority, you couldn't get rid of the bias without an impractical level of day-to-day micromanagement.

I refer to them as the Public Sector Broadcaster, not the Public Service Broadcaster,
Exactly, and until that status changes, the output won't change either.

but at least they are somewhat accountable to our parliament (which is possibly why they are so pro-Shinner).
Hmmmm? I'm not so sure parliamentary accountability is the way to go. We have a parliament that largely ranges from moderate left to extreme left, with side orders of environmental catastrophism and violent nationalism. It's also a self sustaining feedback loop. A left wing broadcaster supporting left wing policies helps elect (and re-elect) a left parliament that supports and funds the left wing broadcaster.

It may be the case that none of the parties did anything technically illegal but it’s still a stroke.

If Tubbs has an arrangement with any company to get payment for personal appearances, that’s his own business and should have nothing to do with RTE.

But ask yourself, why would RTE get in the middle of any such arrangement to the point of guaranteeing the payments. What’s in it for them?

The most obvious answer is that it allows them to ensure Tubbs is paid a lot more than they have to make public.

Then you have to ask why they would go to such lengths when they could just run it through payroll. Who really benefits from the arrangement?The reality is that it suits both RTE and Tubbs and it’s ludicrous to suggest they thought there was nothing wrong with it.

Whether it’s illegal or not perhaps requires a deeper dive but it’s interesting that Renault cut their ties with the ‘arrangement’ after such a short time.

It's very strange that Dee F hasn't made some sort of statement though....suspended or not. Her silence is deafening....

I suppose Dee F is suspended with pay. That's just the RTE Board looking after her.

This way, she gets her pay, gets her holiday and avoids those pesky calls for her to return and the music face.
Nobody gets suspended without pay until an investigation is carried out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back