Parking and Neighbour ??

I don't understand this. If you can drive in you can reverse in.

that's just what i was thinking.

anyway, surely for your own peace of mind, it is easier to reverse into your driveway than reverse out. reversing in you're quite visible because you're exiting the road whereas reversing out, you can't see where you're going, what's behind you, how fast they might be going etc etc.

Just to tag on here as it seems an appropriate enough thread. I have a neighbour who has parked (abandoned) their car at the side of my house. It hasn't moved in about a year and is untaxed and out of insurance NCT etc. I've been meaning to approach him about it but would like peoples opinions first as I don't want to come across as a bad neighbour/busy body.

The problems I have are...

There is a significant build up of debris under the car and aslo some plant life now growing through a drain it makes the place look dirty and its at my house not his.

He has another car and parks this outside the house also. Parking is at a premium in the area and I think it's unfair that this spot is continually in use by a car that is clearly not been used. I find that extremely selfish of the neighbour. (We have one car and park off street so it's not as if I want the spot for myself)

The car has attracted unwanted attention from undesireables. People hanging around it and even on occasion knocking on our door asking if the car is for sale or if we would like to get it taken away (tempting).

Any suggestions on how I should approach the neighbour without seeming like a moaning old tosser?

Any suggestions on how I should approach the neighbour without seeming like a moaning old tosser?

Dont bother reporting it to the neighbour, report it to the council/guards as an abandoned car - if its on a public road it will be removed. If you live in an estate controlled by a management company report it to them.

dont bother reporting it to the neighbour, report it to the council/guards as an abandoned car - if its on a public road it will be removed. If you live in an estate controlled by a management company report it to them.

+1

Friends of my parents have had a white transit van parked across the road from their house for weeks and weeks and it hasn't been moved. Tax, insurance and nct are all out of date. When they rang the Guards about it they were told it was a public road and the owner was entitled to leave it there :(.

I think they need to describe it as 'abandoned' though for the gardaí to take notice. Mentioning that kids have been sniffing around won't do any harm either.

Thanks for the advice Caveat and TS. The estate is private so the management company may be the route to go down. I don't know if I'd feel like I was being a bit sneaky/underhanded by directly approching the management company with a view to getting it towed before giving the neighbour a chance to move it. Maybe I should call them and ask them to have a word with the neighbour in question? By the way I'm not the only neighbour who has a problem with this others have mentioned it to me in passing.

O/T (The cars not a banger either a 03 in quite good nick) maybe they can't sell it.

Thanks for the advice Caveat and TS. The estate is private so the management company may be the route to go down. I don't know if I'd feel like I was being a bit sneaky/underhanded by directly approching the management company with a view to getting it towed before giving the neighbour a chance to move it. Maybe I should call them and ask them to have a word with the neighbour in question? By the way I'm not the only neighbour who has a problem with this others have mentioned it to me in passing.

O/T (The cars not a banger either a 03 in quite good nick) maybe they can't sell it.

I think they contact the owner before towing it (not to be nice, but to get the owner to pay up for the towing!!). This gives him the opportunity to move it himself before its towed.

Maybe just call into him and point out that its unsightly and is there any chance he would remove it. If he is unhelpful you can always go down the route of contacting the management company yourself.

Not v legal but if "someone" takes the number plates off it and it is reported to council they will take it away. Got on to the council about somilar problem and that is the direction I was pointed in!!

that's just what i was thinking.

anyway, surely for your own peace of mind, it is easier to reverse into your driveway than reverse out. reversing in you're quite visible because you're exiting the road whereas reversing out, you can't see where you're going, what's behind you, how fast they might be going etc etc.

It's hard to describe, even driving in frontways is difficult. I have to mount the kerb on one side.

Back