Parking and Neighbour ??

butterfield

3 cars in household - park one in drive and 2 on street in front of house usually same space.

At times these spaces are taken and occasionally we have to park on opposite side of street, neighbour always leave note on car saying don't park so close to their drive. This also happens to anyone who parks there!! Car is never near or obstructing drive - they are living on street for over 30 years and believe they somehow have rights to space in front of house and are arrogant. He is called the parking attendant !!

We are respectful of their wishes but it just annoying when they are so thick about it.

Anyone have any clever ideas to get over this ??

No clever ideas but as I am sure you are aware nobody owns the road space in front of their house.

Just bin the note and carry on parking.

Or take a pic of your car not obstructing his drive and post it into him with his note explaining that you are not obstructing his driveway and please stop leaving you notes.

I agree with truthseeker. Just ignore them. We all have to put up with people parking outside our houses. Yes, it can be annoying at times but if it's a public road then they're perfectly entitled to. The worst he can do is call the guards who will not be impressed with having their time wasted like that.

Well, not necessarily.. if he's arrogant like youo describe, and feels he owns the space outside his house he may engage in petty criminal damge to spite you.

In other words I would par there no problem, it's not his space and his attitude would annoy me. However if you come back to your car to find it scraped, or mirrors broken etc what then?

Sometimes it's easier to let the bully have his way...

Well, not necessarily.. if he's arrogant like youo describe, and feels he owns the space outside his house he may engage in petty criminal damge to spite you.

In other words I would par there no problem, it's not his space and his attitude would annoy me. However if you come back to your car to find it scraped, or mirrors broken etc what then?

Sometimes it's easier to let the bully have his way...

That's some bizarre logic you apply there Joe! So not only are you suggesting that this neighbour is capable of criminal damage but also suggesting that the op should submit to bullying? butterfield I'd ignore what Joe says and follow the advice given by the others if I were you!

Thanks for replies and I know the right thing is to "rise above it" ... it can be so annoying though sometimes you feel like fighting back !! We usually ignore it and park when necessary like most of you said. Just needed to vent a little.

Ceist Beag
I don't agree completely.

I believe that the type of person who does what the OP is decribing is different to the majority... most people don't put notes on cars in this situation. The neighbour doesn't own the space, yet behaves as if he does... so his behaviour can't be easily predicted.

I have seen this situation, where my neighbour called into my houose asking me to move my vehicle, so she could park outside her house, in 'her space', leaving her driveway empty. For me not to do this would enrage her to such an extent that she may be capable of anything, including petty criminal damage out of spite.

She had no problem threatening to call the police and my landlord.. even though what could she say?

Simply for my landlords sake and the sake of peace I didn't park there for many months, although I told her to F off... she doesn't own the spaces.

How do you believe feuds start?.. generally over very petty things like this... I'd advise the OP to consider not parking there as the neighbours involved seem a bit daft, and who knows what they may do?

Maybe the neighbour is used to have a less clogged road having been there 30 years. It can be annoying when houses have 3 cars and then park outside your house. Can the OP not fit 2 cars in his drive one behind the other? The neighbour doesn't sound daft, they are probably just used to people keeping to their own space a bit more.

You obviously had a bad experience JoeB but I wouldn't go tarring every annoying neighbour with the same brush - to me the neighbour doesn't sound like someone ready to indulge in criminal damage. More like it sounds like someone who has lived most of their life in an area where they had things a certain way and now doesn't take too well having a neighbour who does things a bit differently. More of a Victor Meldrew I'd say than someone likely to take keys to the side of a car!

If it were happening to me i'd call into them with the note and ask what the obstruction they're are suggesting you are causing is - i've found from experience that face to face posing the question is usually enough to stop this type of attitude, if only for your car. That said i've experienced 'lonely retired with nothing to do' before also - if thats the case, ignore it - you can't get a solution to that one!

I live on a main road with parking.
Even though most of the time the driveway is not blocked, sometimes people park so close up to the edges that it can be incredibly difficult to pull into a small drive. Could it be that that's why he's cranky?

If it were happening to me i'd call into them with the note and ask what the obstruction they're are suggesting you are causing is - i've found from experience that face to face posing the question is usually enough to stop this type of attitude!
I'd agree with this approach. If it doesn't work, you could just return each note through his letter box, or worse again, take photos and superimpose his note onto your photographs showing no obstruction and put it into his letterbox.

there is absolutely no question of us obstructing the drive in any way. They are like an earlier post said 'lonely retired with nothing to do' . But it is their arrogance that annoys me - I would not dream of being like this to any of my neighbours about something as trivial as this .... and it happens so infrequently I feel it is very un neighbourly to leave notes.

there is absolutely no question of us obstructing the drive in any way. They are like an earlier post said 'lonely retired with nothing to do' . But it is their arrogance that annoys me - I would not dream of being like this to any of my neighbours about something as trivial as this .... and it happens so infrequently I feel it is very un neighbourly to leave notes.
A friend of mine lived near a couple who acted like this. To be honest, they were people with too much time on their hands and the neighbours just avoided them as much as they could, because conversations with them were invariably a diatribe about other people in the estate. It's probably better to just ignore it as much as you can. If you react, they will probably just start thinking of further 'wrongs'.

Back