Parking and Neighbour ??

Two of my former neighbours were like this - it was like living in a police state and one of the reasons I had to sell up!!

One couple (not retired) had done a big job on the house - created a driveway fit to take 3 cars - erected big gates locked them and always parked outside - not even outside their house which was also sacrosanct - but taking up 2 of the communal spaces at the turning circle. If anyone parked within 5 feet of his gateway (no way blocking it) it was war. He'd park so tight to the offending car that it was impossible to move - even though he had lots of other space to park. He also blocked anyone who took "his spaces" at the turning circle. Sick man.

He was always ready for a fight - with a tight white face and extremely rude. His vulnerable young daughter told me once "don't worry he's only jealous of you". I felt so sorry for her but was even afraid to get friendly with her as he'd be sure to create aggro over that too.

I might have moved anyway but this made it certain. The relief now where I am - with sane neighbours is cool.

Write back, and leave notes on their cars.
Love notes and prayers etc, might be fun. Stuff like
'Thanks for your parking advice. I shall pray to the Lord God almighty, and hope that he guides my steering wheel as I park. May the Holy ghost ensure my engine conforms to thyne wishes etc....'

there is absolutely no question of us obstructing the drive in any way. They are like an earlier post said 'lonely retired with nothing to do' . But it is their arrogance that annoys me - I would not dream of being like this to any of my neighbours about something as trivial as this .... and it happens so infrequently I feel it is very un neighbourly to leave notes.

Well in that case, ok maybe they're just plain bonkers :)
Maybe send a little thank you note back for the parking advice ;)

Have to agreed with , I also don't like anybody parking in front of my house. The last place I lived in I had to put up with looking at a dirty looking white Transit Van parked at the front of my garden, every time I sat down to watch some TV this is all I use to see, and the worst thing about it, I lived at the bottom of a cul de sac and he would rather have me looking at his dirty van than his wife as they didn't have any other cars in their driveway!I was threatening to send my Husband out one night to let the airs out of the tyres ithings got so bad!

Have to agreed with , I also don't like anybody parking in front of my house.

Unfortunately if you live on a public road, you just have to put up with it. What other people drive and where they park is no concern of yours.

What used to annoy my paresnts was someone parking on the verge outside our house. We were on the main road, but there was enough space on teh grassy verge between the foortpath and the road for a car. Where does that fall into the equation?

It became an issue when people started using it for free parking during the day (i.e. not a neighbor, but someone shopping etc).

Needless to say repeat offenders were "discouraged" :D

Have to agreed with , I also don't like anybody parking in front of my house. The last place I lived in I had to put up with looking at a dirty looking white Transit Van parked at the front of my garden, every time I sat down to watch some TV this is all I use to see, and the worst thing about it, I lived at the bottom of a cul de sac and he would rather have me looking at his dirty van than his wife as they didn't have any other cars in their driveway!I was threatening to send my Husband out one night to let the airs out of the tyres ithings got so bad!

There's this new invention see here
[broken link removed]

Needless to say repeat offenders were "discouraged" :D

By reporting them to the gardai or local traffic authority presumably? Parking on the grass verge is illegal and I know people who have been ticketed for doing it.

If you have a drive that exits onto a road can somebody block your exit legally?

This would really annoy me if I could not reverse out of my own home

There's this new invention see here
[broken link removed]
:D I've noticed them on a few new houses, but they seem to "twitch" all the time. Is "twitch" the correct technical term? It brings me back to a more relaxed and tolerant time - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_the_Squinting_Windows

If you have a drive that exits onto a road can somebody block your exit legally?...
No, it's illegal and a ticketing offence (unless its a private estate were it can be a clamping issue).
This would really annoy me if I could not reverse out of my own home
It is illegal (driving without due care and consideration) to reverse out of your driveway onto a public road.

It is illegal (driving without due care and consideration) to reverse out of your driveway onto a public road.

Indeed, and this is no doubt going to sound mean to many, but it is for this reason that I never give way to people attempting to do this.

Indeed, and this is no doubt going to sound mean to many, but it is for this reason that I never give way to people attempting to do this.

I Agree, Every house should come with a car turn table.. Think what you guys are saying. :confused:

Contrary to popular belief it is not illegal to reverse out of a driveway. It is illegal only to reverse onto a major road from another road.

The legal position as laid down by Section 12 of the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997 is as follows;

(1) Before reversing, a driver shall ensure that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians
(2) A driver shall not reverse onto a major road from another road
(3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a public road save where it is clear to the driver that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

Driveways are covered by Section 12 (3).

I Agree, Every house should come with a car turn table.. Think what you guys are saying. :confused:

No Need LS400,You are perfectly entitled to reverse out of your driveway.

Caveat ,banie01 and mathpac have got their facts wrong.

No Need LS400,You are perfectly entitled to reverse out of your driveway.

Caveat ,banie01 and mathpac have got their facts wrong.

From your own quote, I think it's far from clear cut.

(3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a public road save where it is clear to the driver that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

In many cases it is quite obvious that it simply cannot be clear to a driver that he would not endanger traffic/pedestrians.

In any case, what is pretty clear to me is that it is not good practice anyway.

From your own quote, I think it's far from clear cut.
In many cases it is quite obvious that it simply cannot be clear to a driver that he would not endanger traffic/pedestrians.
In any case, what is pretty clear to me is that it is not good practice anyway.
I have to reverse out my drive way. After reading this, I asked my brother, who can park a jeep and horsebox in a shoe box, if I should reverse in. He said no way, couldn't believe I manage to park there in the first place and I'm a 'terribe parker'-his words.

I have to reverse out my drive way. After reading this, I asked my brother, who can park a jeep and horsebox in a shoe box, if I should reverse in. He said no way, couldn't believe I manage to park there in the first place and I'm a 'terribe parker'-his words.

I don't understand this. If you can drive in you can reverse in.

It is harder to drive into a narrow driveway. You need a lot more room to line up the car.

It is much easier and safer to reverse in.

Back