lisbon vote

They are not all the same this is something FF spin docs have been having us say for years the other one is "Aw sure who else is there".

Unfortunately they are all the same. They are all concerned with power and money. Corruption is rife in this country at all levels. They have short term aims and will not react to long term problems. A couple of Labour councillors doing high 'family mileage' to attend vital conferences below:

http://www.independent.ie/national-...-for-mileage-but-dont-even-drive-1850004.html

If FG get in, expect more of the same dithering and inaction...

I think the Lisbon vote will get passed easily this time around, simply because many are afraid to vote 'no'. The country is banjax'd and they will be told that if we want to improve the country, jobs, wealth, future etc they must vote 'yes', and they will.
I'm sad to say that I agree with RMCF's assessment. The one country that got a vote on it will be bullied into accepting it the second time round. Protocol's summary sounds reassuringly benign but Lisbon dilutes the voting strength of Ireland and other small countries and surrenders many vetoes to QMV. It's another step along the road to a Federal Europe, I wish they'd be honest about their project. I'll be voting 'no'; at least, if it's carried, we will likely never be asked to vote on another EU treaty.

Wow, what a turn around compared to the posts on here last time. I was considering voting Yes this time having voted No last time. Reason being I dont trust any of our politicans to run this Country. Guess I'll have to give it much more thought.

Yes, what have they ever given us (other than forcing equality and environmental legislation on us... oh, and there were all the hand-outs... and the stability pact that kept us from going off the rails even more than we have ... and the membership of the Euro that's kept us out of Icelandic waters and effectively underwrites our bank guarantee).

Yes, maybe we should tell them to get stuffed again... and then go looking for another hand-out.

I for one feel very skeptical about the huge "yes" push and the lack of information about all of the treaty and how it changes how the eu works. I did some research on it last time and was not happy about how they want it to work. I voted no the last time and will do so again. Our "leaders" are starting to behave like dictators on this. Please respect our wishes.

yes, what have they ever given us (other than forcing equality and environmental legislation on us... Oh, and there were all the hand-outs... And the stability pact that kept us from going off the rails even more than we have ... And the membership of the euro that's kept us out of icelandic waters and effectively underwrites our bank guarantee).

Yes, maybe we should tell them to get stuffed again... And then go looking for another hand-out.

+1

. .and the membership of the Euro that's kept us out of Icelandic waters and effectively underwrites our bank guarantee).
One might argue that membership of the Euro, and therefore the surrender of any control over our exchange rate and interest rate (which are managed to suit Germany and France), helped fuel the property bubble and has tied our hands in relation to competitiveness, with no option to devalue our currency.

i for one feel very skeptical about the huge "yes" push and the lack of information about all of the treaty and how it changes how the eu works. I did some research on it last time and was not happy about how they want it to work. I voted no the last time and will do so again. Our "leaders" are starting to behave like dictators on this. Please respect our wishes.
+1

... and the membership of the Euro that's kept us out of Icelandic waters and effectively underwrites our bank guarantee).

I am starting to suspect this is as much a curse as a boon. The ECB repo pact (where Irish banks buy Irish sovereign bonds and repo them with the ECB for cash) creates the illusion that our insolvent banks can be kept on terminal life support. I don't think this helps anyone. Further the NAMA proposal has already received the nod from the ECB (it couldn't go ahead without them).

It's likely they don't realise the depths and risks Fianna Fail are willing to sink and to take to cover their own mistakes and that of their friends.

One might argue that membership of the Euro, and therefore the surrender of any control over our exchange rate and interest rate (which are managed to suit Germany and France), helped fuel the property bubble and has tied our hands in relation to competitiveness, with no option to devalue our currency.

We had plenty of other options available to us to forestall the bubble - enforce stricter reserve requirements for banks, restrict securitisations, enforce strict inflexible lending criteria (20% deposit, 3x single-earner max mortgages) - and we (by which I mean the popular government) chose none of them. We actually chose every available option to prime the pump.

There's absolutely no reason to believe the gutless central bank would have raised interest rates (as our main trading partners were lowering theirs) during the growth of the housing bubble.

There's absolutely no reason to believe the gutless central bank would have raised interest rates (as our main trading partners were lowering theirs) during the growth of the housing bubble.
Well, there's no way of knowing. Pre-€ Irish Central Bank rates (around 1998) were, if I recall, something around 6% . . which were then slashed to converge with European rates ahead of monetary union. Given the proportion of trade we do with the US and the UK and other non-€ countries I don't believe that the 'benefits' or € membership compensate for the loss of control of our own exchange and interest rates. I suspect that there was little thought put into joining the €, just the usual Irish political desire to be seen as 'committed Europeans'.

Well, there's no way of knowing. Pre-€ Irish Central Bank rates (around 1998) were, if I recall, something around 6% . . which were then slashed to converge with European rates ahead of monetary union. Given the proportion of trade we do with the US and the UK and other non-€ countries I don't believe that the 'benefits' or € membership compensate for the loss of control of our own exchange and interest rates. I suspect that there was little thought put into joining the €, just the usual Irish political desire to be seen as 'committed Europeans'.

I'm not arguing whether it was a good decision to join the Euro or not (I don't believe it was). However, the central bank showed little inclination to slow the asset bubble using the tools at its disposal so it's a stretch to imagine they would have braved bucking a GLOBAL trend of central banks lowering interest rates and keeping them low for several years post 9/11.

It's even more fantastical to then turn around and state that the ECB bears a large proportion of the blame for the bubble because they lowered interest rates. Despite the fact the Irish government encouraged the bubble (they thought it was a sign "de economy" was healthy bless 'em). Despite the fact the central bank took no action to halt insane, runaway lending (explosive broad money supply growth of over 30% year-on-year) beyond that of issuing vague reports alluding to the possibility of some small asset price falls in a "pessimistic scenario".

We would not have avoided the bubble by maintaining control of our currency, nor should the ECB take the blame for the Irish bubble.

However, the central bank showed little inclination to slow the asset bubble using the tools at its disposal so it's a stretch to imagine they would have braved bucking a GLOBAL trend of central banks lowering interest rates and keeping them low for several years post 9/11.
Maybe it is a 'stretch' but rates were much higher pre-€ and lending terms were much stricter before the advent of the Regulator in 2003 who I think was responsible for keeping an eye on bank lending policies (but maybe I'm mistaken there).
It's even more fantastical to then turn around and state that the ECB bears a large proportion of the blame for the bubble because they lowered interest rates. Despite the fact the Irish government encouraged the bubble (they thought it was a sign "de economy" was healthy bless 'em).
I'm not sure how you distilled that; I don't blame the ECB for our problems; I blame Ahern and Cowen.

Maybe it is a 'stretch' but rates were much higher pre-€ and lending terms were much stricter before the advent of the Regulator in 2003 who I think was responsible for keeping an eye on bank lending policies (but maybe I'm mistaken there).

A Fianna Fail creation you'll agree?

Rates may have been higher pre-€ but we followed the trends of the time. There is nothing to suggest we would have changed the pattern of a lifetime had we refused to join the Euro ergo there's no point considering as a significant issue in the formation of the housing bubble beyond noting that GLOBAL interest rates were (and still are) low.

Can someone please give me in layman's tears reasons to vote yes or no.

More and more I'm hearing people saying that they'll vote NO to punish the government. I'm still undecided myself. It seems like we'll end up punishing ourselves more than the government by voting NO.

However, with Nama looking like it's going to go ahead, maybe we should be linking the two together, as a sort of blackmail. The only chance to stop Fianna Fail before they do irreversible damage.

I'm starting to sway towards the No camp each day. A desperate attempt to say to Europe that Lisbon will never pass with Fianna Fail/yellow party in power.

We voted no because we were a shower of arrogant ungrateful idiots who wanted to teach the establishment a lesson.

I'm 100% convinced there's people here who want to vote no to get rid of FF purely because of the income & pension levies imposed on them recently.

If you think we're being hard done by as a result of these levies, giving the two fingers to Europe and getting rid of FF before NAMA or the budget will lead to a pretty unpleasant surprise.

The scenario I see playing out is this:

Lisbon gets defeated, FF lose power, NAMA does not go ahead, The banks and builders go bankrupt, liquidity seizes up, more businesses go bust, 800,000 people on the dole, IMF steps in, etc

We've been biting the EU hand for a while now, it's time to cut the ideological crap and accept the practicality of our situation i.e. as a nation we're on ECB life support. It's not the time to p*ss off Europe any further

I'm 100% convinced there's people here who want to vote no to get rid of FF purely because of the income & pension levies imposed on them recently.
If I was to take the stance of voting NO to oust the government, it wouldn't just be because of the (relatively trivial) levies. It would be for the following:
- www.insolvencyJournal.ie (Check out the figures)
- six and a half thousand companies dissolved in just the first half of this year.
- Usual 'soft' corruption of FF
- Bankrupt banks
- and of course the whole €90 billion (or whatever crazy billion amount) Nama thing. A billion is a huge amount. 1000,000,000. How can a country of 4.5million possibly afford this?
- http://www.financedublin.com/debtclock.php
- The complete mismanagement of the boom and turning it into a devastating bubble.

DerKaiser - would you vote for FF?

(This
The banks and builders go bankrupt, liquidity seizes up, more businesses go bust, 800,000 people on the dole
Is pretty much happening anyway.)

At the moment, I really would rather Ireland was governed from Europe. However, I also fear fianna fail. They truly are dangerous right now.

DerKaiser - would you vote for FF?

I am hoping we don't have to vote in a general election for at least 6 months until the following are implemented

1) NAMA - with as penal a discount as necessary (i.e. if it means nationalisation so be it)
2) The McCarthy Report
3) A budget aimed at reducing the 2010 deficit below (€15bn)

I don't know if we'll get any of the above with FF but I do know we'll get none of the above with no one in power

Back