Key Post: Where would I find cheap dvds and cds?

Re: could play.com be lible under EU law?

I checked this out with the European Consumer Centre and it appears that play.com would not be covered by EU law just because it dispatches its goods from within the EU.

The contract to buy is made outside the EU and the mailing address is irrelevant.

Having said this, the has had success with consumer issues in both US and Canada. So this is another option for conumer problems.

The ecic is very happy to deal with any consumer related issues which cannot be resolved by the consumer.

Marion :hat

Hi

Unless we all start to hastle our politicans, this could be the start of the end for cheaper DVDs / CDs ....

regards

G>

Thanks to Gerry for compiling the following list:

I have done a bit of research on the above for an Irish company and I have unearthed some gems which I am happy to share with you.

www.dvd9.com
www.dvdpacific.com
www.devoteddvd.com.au

www.blackstar.co.uk
www.play.com
www.find-dvd.co.uk
www.dddhouse.com
http://www.ezydvd.com.au (www.ezydvd.com.au)
www.splashdvd.com
www.movietyme.com
www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk

www.dvdoo.com
[broken link removed]
www.cdwow.ie
[broken link removed]
www.digitaleyes.net
http://www.dvdsoon.com (www.dvdsoon.com)
www.dmgdirect.com
[broken link removed]

re

CD Wow.ie is much dearer then CDWow.com
even after converting cdwow.com Sterling prices to Euro!
However if you go to www.cd-wow.co.hk
and depending on what region you are looking for, they have some very cheap DVD'S!

On the point about non receipt etc, if you pay by credit card, you have recourse to the CC company irrespective of whether the company is in England, HK or outer space.
This applies for any item bought in person, over the phone, etc.
They are jointly and severably liable (I think that is the phrase?), it's under an old English Law that applies here.
If you write/ring them and tell them the problem, they will
dispute the charge with the companies bank and the company have to prove they are right in charging.
It takes some time to get it sorted out however.

Word of warning
Make sure you pay your credit card bill because they will continue to charge you interest until it is all cleared up.
(if you are right, you will get the interest refunded).

You also have the advantage where there is no signature (phone, internet) for the goods.

Re: DVD9.COM

Bought Finding Nemo form www.dvd9.com for €10.50. AS long as you ordered at least 2 DVDs , shipping is free. Downside is it comes in a plastic sleeve and it takes about a week or so

Amorset - Will you post here when you receive these DVDs as it seems too good to be true

Cheaper than www.cdwow.ie

[broken link removed] its the hong Kong cd wow, but
thats where the .ie site ships from anyway.
The shipping is still free, but a currency converter may be needed.

www.xe.com/ucc/
this is a really good one.

ships really quickly... less than a week.

DVD9.COM

rorook,

I did recieve the DVDs from dvd9.com. It will take two and half weeks. First thing to say is the DVDs are NOT original. You do not get a case but the DVDs are contained in a plastic sleeve with the glossy cover (so you can but it into your own case). DVDs at first glance look authentic, but closer inspection you notice.

What I will say is that I had no problem with the quality of picture and sound. Maybe if you had surround sound setup etc you'd notice. I got disney movies for the kids so their happy, Im happy!

www.101cd.com

Anyone use this site for buying CD's? They are the only site that have the CD's I am looking for stocked.

cd sites

just check out above site and Randy Edelman's Farwell Fairbanks if €21.99 Sterling which (unbelievably) even at that price is £8 cheaper than amazon

uptown

Is he the uptown uptempo woman man if you know what I mean ?

cheap cd's

Yes. The correct spelling of the title is farewell fairbanks and not my shortcut above. uptempo woman is one track on it and its a japanese cd (I think.) I have never found it for sale in Ireland and purchased it off Amazon a few months back. The above post has two used LP versions for sale .Le Meisters site has the cd version. I tried e-bay for it but while there was loads of other cd's by this artist not the one I wanted. hence shelling out big bucks.

difficult to find CDs

For difficult to find CDs try [broken link removed] They have an amazing selection. They are based in Spain but have an English menu for CDs; if you want the prices in euro switch to the French menu; the CDs are posted from Switzerland. They also sell DVDs, you follow the link ‘Cine’ on the Spanish menu.

Re: difficult to find CDs

PMU.
Did you ever order anything from them ? I found a spanish movie on their site that I can't find anywhere else. However I keep getting an error message when I fill in my details...sounds like a programming error as its something about synthax errors and SQL.

Janeom

Yes, I ordered 3 CDs on 28 July; got a confirmation that they were posted on 3 August and they arrived yesterday 19 Aug. The prices varied from 11 to 15 euro with postage of about 4 euro per CD. These were CDs going back to the 80s and 90s that I could not locate on Amazon, CDwow, etc. So I'd use them again for difficult to find and minority stuff as they have a colossal inventory but you'd probably get chart stuff cheaper from CDwow. If you are getting DVDs note that the older ones have Spanish dialogue only. I used the French language menu to order and not the Spanish one.

Looks like a good site all right PMU. Thanks for that one. :) By the way, switching between languages/countries didn't work for me in FireFox (and may cause problems in other browsers) so I had to switch back to Internet Explorer temporarily. :x

thanks for the PMU but you can only seem to order DVDs when you have selected spanish as the langugage. Switching to other languages only allows you to search for CDs :-(

Janeom

Re: Another one....

Really can't be bothered trawling through the 4 pages of answers in this thread.

Just thought I'd add that if you're buying on www.play.com make sure you opt for sterling prices - I stupidly bought last week having clicked the Euro flag - I later converted sterling into euro on www.xe.com and found that their euro prices are quite a bit more than their sterling prices.

Back