Key Post: Where would I find cheap dvds and cds?

Re: www.cdwow.ie

Fair play to you. I guess it all works OK. However if the certificate doesn't match the web site then all bets are off as far as security is concerned. When this happens it means that the most basic assurance of security (i.e. that you are dealing with the site that you believe you're dealing with) has failed. Given that a secure system is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain it doesn't inspire confidence!

DVD Multi region

Does anyone know how I can have a region 2 DVD player converted into multi region. Also where can this be done? My son is returning home from the states with his DVD collection.
Thanks

Depends on the model...

A lot of DVD players can be hacked.

Others need chips. There is a guy that advertises on the buy and sell each week have no idea what he is like. I would contact the shop you bought your player also. I enquired in a few places about my own to be told that they would chip it but only if I had bought it there.

I tried to order a CD from play.com (it wasn't available on cdwow.ie - my entire order arrived within 6 days) and I ran into a spot of bother.

The postcode is a required field and it wouldn't let me progress without it. I then decided to put in a full stop.

It let me through. Then, I received an e-mail from play.com to say that my address did not match that of my credit card account and to check with my credit card company. I rang MBNA and they said that no check whatsoever had been run on my address. The mind boggles!

Did anybody else have this problem? How did you overcome the required postcode problem?

Marion :hat

DVD multi region

Hi Alan,
I did ask at the shop where I bought it but they do not chip the DVD. There is a web site in Ireland called DVDIRELAND they may be able to help you depending on your brand of DVD. Mine is'nt listed yet.
Regards

Fixing DVD players

www.vcdhelp.com

This will tell you how to play multi-region DVDs.

(This link was provided to you by GeoffreyOD on

postcodes and Play.com

Marion, I had the same problem. I just sent an email to customer services at Play.com. They didn't reply, but my order was processed very soon after that.

Re: postcodes and Play.com

Hi Claire

Thanks for your reply. As it happens, I had replied to the original e-mail outlining my difficulty with the postcode field.

I received a very pleasant message this evening from Play.com advising that they were processing my order.

Regards

returns with play.com

Anyone have any experience in returning goods to www.play.com?
The goods are not faulty, I've simply changed my mind.

Re: retuns of unwanted CDs to play.com

Hi Harza

A retailer is not under any legal requirement to accept returns of goods where a consumer has merely changed their mind. Many retailers, however, as a gesture of goodwill do as a matter of course accept returns.

I've had a look at the returns policy of [broken link removed] here and it appears that they are not interested in exchanging goods where the customer has decided that they don't like them.

In the circumstances, It might be a good idea to send an e-mail asking them if they would as a goodwill gesture change the unwanted CDs and also post the link to this particular topic. You've nothing to lose by trying this tactic because, as it stands, you don't have any consumer rights to an exchange.

But, they might be willing to relent. After all ... good business makes business!

Regards

Re: retuns of unwanted CDs to play.com

I had a spot of bother with Play.com can anyone advise me what I should do next...

I ordered some DVD's before christmas and most of them arrived. One, however was incorrect. The invoice was correct but the DVD was wrong. I phoned them and they told me to send it back by registered post and they would issue me the correct DVD. He said it would cost about STG£1.20. I explained that we are in the euro zone so it would probably be more expensive than that. He told be to include the reciept.

I did this,by Swift Post and not by registered post because An Post won't send registered post to a PO Box number - it cost me 6 euros. (approx STG£3.60)

Pla.com refunded me STG£1.20 because that's what regstered post costs in the UK. I send them and e-mail outlining the problem and they replied saying my goods were on the way without addressing the money. Because it was a christmas present they agreed to send a replacement without having recived the wrong ones back so because of this I didn't persue it.

However, I now realise that another DVD they sent is wrong. It's for the wrong region. If I have to go through the same process again I will then be 8 euros out of pocket because of their mistakes. It's not huge money, but it makes the whole process a waste of time because they will work out more expensive than just going to the shop here!

Any advice?

Hi Sarah

I thought the reply you received from play.com was bizarre for the simple reason that they mentioned a postage fee of £2 in relation to something else on the site. But, then I wondered what rights we have in general regarding postage and returning faulty goods.

So, I rang the ODCA earlier this morning and I received the following information?

1) Where goods are faulty or generally contravene the SGSSA 1980, the retailer is wholly responsible for the postage and this covers all EU countries. So that's very good news for you.

2) I asked how this can be enforced. The ODCA will deal with all the practicalities and pursue the case on behalf of the consumer because they have the relevant contacts. I spoke with a very helpful person called Deirdre who said that she would deal with distance selling queries herself.

You should contact the [broken link removed] and mark it for the attention of Deirdre Dolan. Let us know how you get on. Timing, procudures, result etc.

Distance Selling in General: I asked her about this and she informed me of this regulation [broken link removed]. This currently applies to all EU countries.

It is good news for the consumer.

When we buy goods via Distance selling (TV, internet) we have a cooling-off period of 7 days - (Harza - it's a pity we didn't have this information to hand when you posted on the 24 th but it's good to know for future reference). However, in this instance when we return goods because we change our minds we will be responsible for the postage.

So there a little bit of good news to go with the fantastic sunny afternoon (which if anybody is interested I spent walking on the beach :) )

Regards

Is Play.com based in the EU?

Hmm, I could be wrong about this, but isn't Play.com based in Jersey, which is outside the EU?

DVD Multi region hacking

Hi 1144
Try www.dvdreviewer.co.uk for all the hacks of most machines. Most machines (including my own one) can be hacked and changed to multi region by simply keying in certain commands on the remote control
Takes a bit of time, but ,managed to convert mine to region free - which will play EVERY dvd!!

Edited by ClubMan to fix link.

Re: Jersey is definitely not within the EU

Hi Claire

You are perfectly right. Jersey is not within the EU.

Oh well, the information regarding EU distance selling is very useful to have, although unfortunately in this particular instance it is probably of no benefit to Sarah.

Sarah, E-mail the ODCA anyway and see what transpires. There may well be some arrangements in place which might benefit you. You've nothing to lose. Again, let us know about the outcome. It will determine whether we (moi in particular) purchase from play.com in the future.

At least we know that we have some level of protection when things go wrong when we distance purchase within the EU.

Re: could play.com be bound by EU law?

I arrived back to my home this evening to be greeted by my credit card bills and my CD from play.com.

The address given for my Visa bill was indeed Jersey. But, the CD was dispatched from an address in Brussels in Belgium - a country definitely within the EU.

Could play.com be bound by EU law if it dispatches its goods from within an EU country?

Re: could play.com be bound by EU law?

Thanks for all the info Marion - I'll get in touch with them and see what they have to say.

I'm going 'round in circles with Play. It takes them 24 hrs to reply to each e-mail. They first asked me for the recorded delivery number - I had to ask them what that was, I thought it was on thier invoice.

They replied to say it was the number of the registered post, whihc I duly sent back to them. However I added that I was more concerned with the DVD which was for the wrong region and asked did they have it for region 2 and if so should I send the wrong one back.

I then got a bog standard reply saying they were sorry I was sent an incorrect title and that if I sent it back by recorded post they would issue the correct one blah blah blah.

So I replied with as much annoyance as I could express in an e-mail without swearing that I needed to know if they had this dvd in region 2 because if they didn't there was no point in sending the one I have back.

I decided it's best to deal with things one at a time.

I'll let you know how I get on.

At the end of their e-mail they quote a Jersey phone number for me to call with any problems! So know I have to add the cost of a second call to Jersey because of thier mistakes!

I don't think that they are trying to get out of refunding me it's that either they can't deal with more than one query at a time or they just couldn't care less.

Long & short - I'll not use them again!

My CD from Play.com definitely came from Jersey

The one I ordered from CDWow came from Hong Kong, so I suppose we won't get EU consumer protection with them either (?). That one only took three days to arrive though-very impressive at Christmas.

Back