Key Post: House Building Direct Labour

We are at the block stage of a self build and the best €170 we spent was for a quantity survey of materials needed. We did this with Wallaces Wellington bridge, Wexford. My brother had done the same thing and found it great. They give a list of materials needed for each building stage and breakdown the costs. You dont have to get your materials from them but they are good to deal with.

Hacker.

"I'd love to see a "SelfBuild" or "Building" forum Topic on the main AAM list.

If a Pre-budget 2005 forum can be setup then why not a "SelfBuild" forum ?"

Hi all,

Just on the back of this, I have set up a self-build forum which is available at
www.selfbuildinireland.com/forum

Literally just setup so open to suggestions as regards categories etc...
Obviously, pretty empty at the moment but hopefully over time, it'll become a useful resource...

Overall cost of self-build

Good to see some detailed costs here. I "have" to move back to Dublin in a few months (as in "the girlfriend's from Dublin and is going back with or without me!") but am having real problems with the price of property. The self-build thing is really growing in my mind as the only way that I would be happy paying double the mortgage I am in the UK.

So, sorry for the vague question, but would it be feasible to buy a nice site within decent commuting distance of Dublin of less than 150k then build a nice place for less than 200K total ?

Cheers.

redape,

Chances of finding a site for 150k within 'decent' commuting distance from dublin are very slim.. You are looking at counties Louth, Meath, Kildare or Wicklow. While you may find sites in and around 150k in these counties, chances are that they will have Local Needs Requirements in place for planning purposes.

I've seen sites in Meath with full unrestricted planning go on the market at 450K!!

Help! It may seem obvious to you, but I am not clear if the "square footage" of a house cost is the gross-footprint (external measurement) of the house, or the summation of all the individual rooms?

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

eljay

Redape,

Carlow has good sites and (relatively) cheap building costs. Depends whether or not it is close enough to Dublin for you. If you work in west Dublin then it's not bad. Sites get progressively cheaper as you move away from Carlow town and Dublin. Around Tullow (one hour to Rathcoole / Tallaght) you will get a site for €100-150k. Planning can be an issue but old houses / ruins on land are commonly for sale - see [broken link removed]

I bought a 1.2 acre site near Tullow and built a 2,700sq ft house including full fit out and garage for a total of approx. €360k.

Excellent Thread and very useful..

I am thinking of putting together an online price-comparison database as, having gone down the self-build road myself, I'm aware of the lack of a central resource of info..

If anyone has any ideas on this, drop me a line..

I think that there has been a definite slacknig in the builder prices for selfbuild projects. recently got a price for a quality finish of €71 sq.ft. Unbelievable. The builder said it was a 'local' price, as the site is close-by his base.
Seemingly, builders have been looking to fill their pipeline as the building of estates will not continue at the same pace.

paddyd, we are experiencing much more competitive quotes for self build at the moment compared to this time last year. i had guessed this was going to be the case so didn't start build last year.
apparently building work has really tailed off in Co. Cavan and the guys from this area are scouting for work all over the Midlands. we even had a call from my bro-in-law in ireland saying a builder was enquiring about our build plans as he is short on work and would do a good price ! we are going to hold out for good rates.

Paddyd, what part of the country are you in? 71 euro/sq.ft is very reasonable! I recently got a qoute of 120 euro/sq ft for a 2000 sq.ft timber frame dormer bungalow. Everything included except the kitchen and the painting!

Thanks

Ray

i've just been reading over the posts on this thread and would anybody here not consider going to a Quantity Surveyor with house plans and getting a full breakdown of the costs (be it direct labour) before starting on site?? believe me its worth it in the long term. the cost savings would greatly outweight the QS fee!!

County Kilkenny.
Brother used this builder for a 400 sq.ft extension last year for €80 sq.ft, which is also very good for an extension, which can usually attract a premium.

€71 sq.ft is nearly cost price I'd say. I can't imagine we'll see anyone drop into the 60's. To be honest, you WANT your builder to make a few quid on the build, otherwise he won't give it the attention that you'd like, so no point in beating them to a pulp on price TOO much.
(How else will his plumber and electrician afford their next X5!)

just wondering if anyone has an excel spreadsheet done up on this that others could utilise

Hi Iam building a timber frame house from IJM 2500sq feet i am hopping the cost we be about 180k. so far i have spent
20k raft
49k timber kit with stairs internal partion, floor,s plasterboard and roof trusses.
6k 14 windows black on white pvc plus front back doors.
3k fees
2k water
6k felt and slates

I have had a quote for felting ,battening and slating roof ect of 6500 euro
for fitting about 4200 slates. Is this a good quote?

Thanks bob
If you have any questions on building a timber frame please ask i am also a second fix joiner , i have just moved here from scotland where timber frame is the majority of new builds, about 80%

Hi PaddyD,

I am also in Co. Kilkenny and about to embark upon a self-build. I would love to contact your builder to get a quote if you don't mind parting with such infomation?

Thanks a million!
Pudzer

Re: Precast Floors & Structural Screed

Just to go back to this topic, would appreciate anyones advice and or explanations as to what is required and involved in putting a structural screed at first floor level on top of precast concrete hollow core slabs.

Is it just mesh laid out across the entire area with a 3 inch depth of concrete poured.

Do internal walls get built after and on top of the structural screed?...............

The sheets of mesh need to be 'lapped' over each other, generally up to 300mm, but make sure that this lap doesnt become too high resulting in loss of concrete cover. 3 inch / 75mm is the normal depth.
As for the walls, they can be built on the screed, provided the slab & screed were designed to take their load.

Hi There,
This is the first time posting, so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct area. I am planning a self build home and have questions on possible additional costs to my project.
I plan to build on a sheltered site that is reclaimed land. Gravel had been used from the land and reinstated with 2-3 ft topsoil. However it looks very wet and not well drained(lack soil underneath). I know farm machines have had problems on the same plot.
Questions are:
How much could this end up costing to make sure theres enough backfill/rough fill and stability for block lorries , concrete lorries to be safe to travel onsite?
If anyone here has had foundations piledriven how much should I estimate for this? I assume It may need this type of support.
Does a timberframe home(being lighter i assume) need pile driven support as much as Concrete home?
Does a floating foundation increase significantly to the base of a house.

Any answers on the above are appreciated

as a qualified mason (with merit i might add) this a rough guide for block prices in east cork area, prices do vary a little depending on the complexity of the house but in general, dead work for footings 1.10/block blockwork for house from floor to peaks 1.40/block is average and all block layers charge through the opes eg doors and windows, this price includes all dpc's window cills and heads with the exception of cornered or conservatory window cills where they must be cut around steel frames, blockwork on timber frame houses range from 1.65 - 1.80/block boundary walls 1.40/block 1.60/block if pointed work 1.80/if pointed on both sides cavity blocks thats the ones with the hollow 1.80/block brickwork .90cent/brick

Back