Key Post: House Building Direct Labour

Self build

Thanks Murray,

We'd be in same boat. may have one or two contacts in the trade but not many. Havent even go site yet so its a bit down the line

Dan Cork: bit steep

ClareMan,

9000 blocks for €15k +Vat - I'm presuming that is that including labour ?

My brother in law build a garage a few weeks back via direct labour, and his blocks were 60 cent each.

As for roofing estimation - that's a tough one, I've asked people advice on this, and I've been told that the best way is to ask around, bring plans and ask for written quotation.

should do

DanCork,

You should get a house built for that. Ours is 2700 sq ft, - a bit bigger than you need to be honest

60k timber frame
110k builder (incl. plumbing, elctrical etc. etc.)
windows 7.5K
Misc. 8k (say, for bathroom fittings etc.)

just over 185. Going all block will probably save you as well - though, in theory, timberframe compensates you in the long run.

Munster Area

will take a lot to decorate & funish but by degrees !!

House building direct labour

Great topic. I see in some of the posts though that a cost for "builders" is included. Wonder how much can be saved by hiring tradespeople direct. anyone have any info?

Jock

People have told me they saved 30 Percent.

It really depends, you could save say 20 percent, but you could have used better material, and have a better quality house & Finishes.

It's your own choice really. but 20-30 percent is what I'm hoping for.

Drop you plans to a few builders and get some detailed quotes. Compare them to the average Price per square foot for you area - There's a quick estimate..

Blocks

Not including labour and I have had another quote of 22,000 not including labour.
They both stated its a complex build (i.e. not a rectangular block) and this is the reason for the quote.

The first quote did include their own scaffolding which they would erect themselfs and I have been told this would save me 1,500 approx. Anybody have any prices on scaffolding hire/erection?

Blocks

IOn the 22,000 quote I meant not including blocks

Price

Im going to be building a house over the next year or so in the Cavan\Monaghan area of the country, it'll be approx. 2500 sq ft and im going to do it by direct labour. As i dont have a clue of these things, would a mortgage of approx. 150,000 euro be enough to build this !!??

ClareMan

HI ClareMan,

RE: Scaffolding.

I've heard of someone buying an old set of scaffolding, and selling it on after the build for the price they paid for it.

D - That's a big house, I'd say you be getting very close there. It all depends on the house your building & the finishes you want.

That's 60 euro per squared foot. It all depends on the average for you location.

Costing (Comments welcome)

Hi D
Here are my original costings for a 2500 square foot/ quality material etc

Item&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Cost (inc VAT)
Excavation/Backfill/land grading &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €20,000.00
Foundation/Structural Raft&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €30,000.00
Sewer treatment plant + installation&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €5,000.00
Precast concrete second floor&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €7,000.00
Walls (Insulation, Blocks,Lintels + Sills+ Labour) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €30,000.00
Roofing/Flashing/Ventilation&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €35,000.00
Windows/Conservatory/Skylights (Velux) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €25,000.00
Gutters/Downspouts&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €5,000.00
Fireplace/Stove/Insert&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €2,500.00
Oil Tank + Boiler&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €2,500.00
Plumbing and Trim Fixtures&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €8,000.00
Underfloor Heating&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €8,000.00
Electrical and Trim Fixtures&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €8,000.00
Exterior\Interior Doors /Trim/Hardware&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €4,000.00
Plastering Interior + Exterior&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €10,000.00
Paint Interior/Exterior (materials only)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €2,000.00
Built in robes&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €3,000.00
Floor Coverings&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €10,000.00
Kitchen + Appliances&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €8,000.00
Bathroom + Accessories&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €2,500.00
Pavements&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €2,500.00
Landscaping (Materials only)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp €2,000.00

bit high?

Sounds a bit high Clareman.

I've 2700 timberframe, maybe 80% built, not direct labour, should be less than 200K (not including decoration & furnishing)

Generally better to work with a high estimate re negotiating loan facility etc. but wouldnt think a 2500 should come to that, esp. if going direct labour.

Re: bit high?

Clareman,

are they definite quotes of are they estimates that you have made yourself (and deliberately high so as you won't be caught short). As another poster said it seems a bit on the high side, then again I suppose it depends on the finish etc

€20K for the excavation etc seems very high, or are you taking into account special site conditions?

Self Build

Clare man

Am doing a self build in Roscommon at the moment, your quotes seem a bit on the high side. Also going for the hollow core floor and for a 2,600sq house have been quoted €5,000 from a crowd in mullingar, but Quinns in Fermanagh quoted Stg1,800 which will work out cheaper and they can get it to me sooner. Block work is working out at about €0.80 a block for the foundations and then about €1.10 for the main body of the house. The reason for the price is the brother in law is an electrical contractor so he has got a few people like the block layer for a bit cheaper.

Blocks cost €380 per 1000 and concrete cost €54 a metre poured, these were prices got without favours. Roofing, slates and 1st & 2nd fix of carpendery have been quoted at €9,500. This is the cash price as to quote the man involued "the only problem is I only do cash jobs."

Just one piece of additional advice, when you start the build open at least 2 accounts with builders merchants that deliver and when you need small items like cement etc ring both up and play one off against the other. You will be amazed at the differences in prices and how quickly you can get a further reducion if you quote the price the "crowd up the road" have given you.
Thats all I have priced at this time, but will post any more I get, would like to see this post continuing as there are plenty of people out their with information on where to source materials etc at reasonable prices.

ClareMan

That's 230,000 for a 2500 sq foot house.
That's 92 euro per sq foot.

The average around limerick/clare seems to be in around 70 - Custhie is right, unless you have expensive finishes / serious site excavation issues then you are definately overestimating.

You mentioned that your blocks are very unusual, thus why so expensive - price around was it

Who are you getting the precast first floor done by ?
How are you managing piping and electrics ?
Do you have to put a layer of cement over the slabs ?

Self Build

I have been quoted €130,000 for building the shell of my house (3,200 sq.ft)

This includes all materials (Hallmark stone @ €36 per M) and concrete, blocks, roof timber and slates and labour to construct. This will leave the shell of the house built and roofed but with no plastering or inside work done.

The labour for blocklaying is working out at €27,000 to build the stone and €9,000 for the block work. The hallmark costs €60 per M (through window openings) to build.

I had budgeted for €250,000 to finish the house with underfloor heating and heat pump installed (€20,000 worth).

Can I do it or am I mad??

Mucho Grande Casa

I'm forever getting ribbed by my builder & the guys he's getting about how big the house is at 2700 (though you'd think they like the work!!), so I'd say you're in for a good bit of abuse re how bit the house is at 3,200 !!
;-)

Think you wont be much under the 250K but probably doable

Prices

These were my prices/guestamates for the bank, but the feedback makes me feel a lot safer. I knew they were mostly on the highside but said I would work a figure based on a %60 Loan value ratio.

The biggest problem is actually getting somebody to quote for the jobs, I am not sure if everbody else's experience but the building inductry in the midwest is mad. I have had a few trades people say things like "yes but only after December".

Blocks prices

Ros Man thoses block prices are excellent I assume it not through roadstone :), or any national supplier.

Block Prices

Clare Man

Believe it or not, thoses prices are thru Roadstone and there is no cash involued either, there are quiet a few quarries & block companies in the area so the market is competitive here in the mid west region.

Ros man

Blocks

Thanks Ros Man,
I have a quote in my hand from roadstone of
415euro / 1000 + vat

So I will be on to them on Monday for a chat I think, there is obviously room to move.

Back