Key Post: House Building Direct Labour

Re: House Building Direct Labour

I know there is a Key post already on Building Houses but this one seems to contain more relevent information.

Would it be possible for a moderator / administrator to add this as a key post also.

Please give us what we want ??

Hi Cushtie,

I'd love to see a "SelfBuild" or "Building" forum Topic on the main AAM list.

If a Pre-budget 2005 forum can be setup then why not a "SelfBuild" forum ?

This thread is in "Mortgages & House Buying" which it prob would be more suited in "Homes & Gardens".
But having said that I think that H&G's wouldn't directly spring to peoples minds when looking for selfbuild advice.

Moderators - Please would you consider setting this up ?

The fact that this Thread has grown so much, shows the need/demand for such a forum.

Regards,
FDH.

I'm not sure if this question was asked before on this thread but I was wondering how do you normally calculate square footage in a dormer. In a two storey it is simply the ground floor area X2. is it the same for a dormer / story and a half.

EG in a Dormer where your ground floor is 1350 sq feet what is the total square footage?

Great thread!
As regards recessed lights under the concrete floor, don't these need 6 inches or more of clearance above them for heat dissapation? If so, you'd need 3 inch batons, and how do you fix them to the concrete ceiling? You could use the latest CFL type recessed lights which should be cooler, but can't be dimmed.

To any of you who have actual experience of building a quality house with a budget lower than Clareman's, I take my hat off.

If you find that this thread has been interested you, and you would like to see a new forum Self-Build / HomeBuild / Sites
then now is your chance to get it.

I've requested it in the new "feedback" section and the Administrators are unsure as to whether there is enough of a demand.

If you want it - then Post your opinion on the thread linked below.

I'd like to see more on selfbuilds including prices & advice. There is an all round void out there containing such info.

Regards,
Harry / FDH.

Well lads, (and lassies) I am waiting on the planning permission so have decided to really start looking at the prices of things.
has anyone done a list of everything that they are going to buy/cost

this is my attempt so far any additions and comments welcome.

Well Boring / Pump
ESB Connection
Digger / Dump Truck for site excavation /preparaton
Gravel / Hardcore for site
Foundations Labour
Foundations Materials i.e DPC,DPM, Readymix, Radon Barrier, Blocks, Cement, Sand, Insulation
Groundworks Labour
Groundworks Materials
Electrician
Carpenter
Roofer
Plumber
Plasterer.
TImber
Blocks
Slates
Bricks
Drains & chutes
Insulation
Window Sills
Windows
Chimney stacks
Driveway
Gates
Paths
Heating
Radiators
Hot tank
Light fittings
Sockets
Skirting boards / Architraves
Flooring (wooden, flagstones & tiles)
Front door
Internal doors
Patio doors
Fire place sitting room
Kitchen stove
Stairs
showers
toilets
washand basins
bath
Kitchen units
Utility units and sink
Kitchen table and chairs
Cooker
Fridge
Washing machine
Dryer
Dishwasher
Suite furniture for sitting room
Curtins and poles throughout

Damn good initial list! A few additions, maybe relevent;

Facia&Soffet
Quoins
Wardrobes
Mirrors for bathrooms
Extractor fans for bathrooms
Attic ladder
Outdoor tank for the heating (?)
Kerbing
Landscaping/planting
For showers, include trays&doors?
Alarm
TV feed eg. aerial, satellite
Phone
Development contribution (?)
Paint and/or decorator
Coving
Sand&Cement

If I think of more I'll edit the post!

Build insurance
Sewage - Septic tank/Waste treatment/connection to council system
Scaffolding
Dry lining / plasterboard
Fencing
Fixings and fasteners
Garage
Skip hire
Velux lights ?
Doorbell :)

Re: >> House Building Direct Labour

I am planning to start building in county galway in the next few months and my engineer has told me it will be €120 per sq. foot to finish the house. I have asked some people building at the moment if this is accurate and they reckon its more like €80\sq foot?

Also the enginneer is charging me around €4500 for everything, surveying, drawing up plans, site layouts and applying for the PP....is this expensive or what I should expect to pay?

On a related topic, i am building a 2700 sq ft house shortly and have been getting quotes from Timber frame companies for the supply and erect, they are all coming in around €60k give or take a few thousand, so no real winner there, what i'm looking for is feedback from folks that have used these companies in the past, (i've gotton quotes from all the main ones..)good and/or bad experiences, any unusual things occur, or disputes over extras etc.. I'm building in the midlands..
thanks in advance

With timberframers, its all in the erecting crew, they are mainly subbies, and being subbies they aint too bothered. Get a couple of good carpenters of your own to do it if at all possible, you get charged over the odds for the erecting and as I said the quality may not be good.

Getting your own guys to erect it also saves the haggling over who was supposed to do what, e.g. grounds for plasterboard& rads (grounds are extra bits of timber nailed onto the partition to support plasterboard or radiators etc. try to think where you'll need them - plenty of them in bathrooms & kitchen for all the fittings and maybe if going to have TV stands in the top corner of a room), finishing around dormers etc. etc.

Watch valley rafters (where the roof meets in a "V" running down from the top of the roof to the gutter) to ensure are done well, i.e. maybe ask for them to be doubled up - no shortage of timber when buiilding timberframe, dont spare it. Also the valley boards on the roof where the lead will go, make sure are plenty wide to take the lead, also ensure are solid i.e. not "spongy" to walk on or press - this is because they have to take the weight of lead and water or maybe snow/ice, you dont want sagging to result in leaks in your roof.

lastly - get a bitchy engineer, they may need to kick butt if its not going well

jmc said:
I am planning to start building in county galway in the next few months and my engineer has told me it will be €120 per sq. foot to finish the house. I have asked some people building at the moment if this is accurate and they reckon its more like €80\sq foot?

Also the enginneer is charging me around €4500 for everything, surveying, drawing up plans, site layouts and applying for the PP....is this expensive or what I should expect to pay?

Just got planning in Galway, Engineer charged 3300 including VAT. Plans for Raft 650, 2500 for site visits and signoff, don't know if this is before or after VAT.

Can anyone provide me with a cost comparison between a raft and strip foundations. The site is fine so there is now particular need for a raft.

BILL2... Im using century homes at the moment and find there sales dept. are not very good ...espically when building a 1 off house..have been waiting a month for delivery of frame. The blame for wait would be 50% century and 50% builder. Hopefully will get it next week. I picked century because site near there factory and builder can pick frame up himself as there artic would not get down my lane....IJM and Clarks both cheaper but when put in all extras pricese fairly similar.
Galwayman....My raft foundation cost nearly 10k extra than normal. If not needed then better to go with strip as raft is full of steel which has sky rocketed in price in the last 12 months...

Was charged €1 per sq ft for plans and planning application, (house is 2900 sq ft) thought it was pricey but there were a few site visits involved and meeting planners etc, got planning permission first time.
Local council looking for €3500, for what I dont know as all services will be on site, what are other county councils charging??

Hi all,

I am currently self building my own house, nearly at the final stage!!
Early in the build I was informed by me stonemason that my bloklayers did not put a dpc in the house. There is a radon barrier in place but no dpc above ground level (150mm above ground level). I asked my engineer about this and he said it would be okay as the radon barrier acts a dpc, and just to make sure to put my path level below radon level. He also said that putting a dpc in place is just like wearing two c*ndoms! You are being extra safe!! Has anyone got any thoughts on this? I am worried about rising damp in the future.....

Thanks,

I am not an engineer but from what I know about building you have been told a pack of lies by your engineer. You must have a dpc. The radon barrier may have some dpc qualities but the engineer hasn't done his job re. supervision. Neither have the blocklayers.

Don't know what you can do now though?

Excellent Thread and very useful..

I am thinking of putting together an online price-comparison database as, having gone down the self-build road myself, I'm aware of the lack of a central resource of info..

If anyone has any ideas on this, drop me a line..

I think the post about needing dpc may be incorrect. I am not an expert, but here is an excerpt from one supplier's website (ballytherm.ie)

"To protect building occupants from risk of harm, buildings in at-risk areas must include Radon protection measures*. The minimum measure will be the provision of a Radon barrier across the entire footprint of the building.The detailing of the barrier will depend upon the floor construction, but in many cases one membrane can act as damp-proof membrane (DPM) and Radon barrier. "

Here is an excerpt from an IAB (Agrement) certificate for another product:

"Protech Regular 870 Radon Resisting Membrane, when installed in accordance with this Certificate, will also act as a damp proof membrane to protect the building against the ingress of moisture from the ground."

Incidentally, making allowances for my ignorance, I think a DPC is the strip inserted into a row of blockwork, while the DPM is the all-over membrane. I am not sure, therefore, if my point above is wholly correct.

So I guess it depends on the product and how it is installed.

The correct installation of DPM is absolutely crucial in a timber frame house. If you have rising damp in a concrete block, you have an unsightly nuisance. If you have rising damp in a timber frame, you have a structural problem.

Back