"Jackie Skelly Gym" contract end/debt agency/hygiene?

But surely, even if they continued to take the money out of your account, you wouldn't go to the place if you thought you were going to get Legionnaire's or something?

When there's no other gym around is the only option. I just avoid the showers, pool & sauna and use a sweat towel.

i used to be a member of the swords branch.caught a veruca and skin infection on the outside of my ear.very dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
A veruca on your ear? Were you keeping your ear to the ground or something?

HA!HA! very droll.noticed the "and in the sentence?two seperate ailments.didn't think i'd have to explain where i caught the veruca.

National Consumer Agency - Consumer Alert - 3 November 2008

1. NCA launches initiatives to get fairer deal for gym members

The National Consumer Agency has announced three initiatives aimed at ensuring that consumers get a fairer deal as members of leisure and fitness clubs.
In consultation with the sector's representative bodies, the NCA has prepared a guide for the sector on how to draw up contracts that reflect an even balance between the interests of consumers and service providers.
Key issues include the need for clarity about minimum membership periods, and notice periods for cancellation.
Find out more about the guidelines on our corporate website NCA.ie:
http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Consultation/Gym_contracts_guidelines/
Read the full press release about the gyms initiative:
http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/Press%20Releases/New_guidelines_for_gym_contracts.html
The NCA, in consultation with the sector, has also drawn up a set of seven best practice principles for gyms to adopt.
We have also reached agreement with one of the biggest fitness club chains in the State, to modify their contracts to reflect the new guidelines.
Read a comparison of the original membership contract and the revised terms:
http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Consultation/Gym_contracts_guidelines/jackie_skelly_fitness.html

hey there i cancelled my membership with Jackie Skellys the end of july and was told id have to pay 2 months cancellation fee- (even though i hadnt used the gym in two months!!! Cancelled the direct debit- and started getting constant calls from the debt collection team- who promised they would look into taking the 2 months i hadnt gone and had paid for as cancellation fee!!! Didnt bother- got more and more phone calls then got letter claiming they had my laser card details and would use the card to take the €130 out of my account- (without my consent- pin or signature!! didnt know they even had the details) they used my card in september and took €130 out of my current account- i rang them went ballistic at the managers who didnt bother returning phone calls and then they claimed they had no record of taking the money i was to get bank statements and drive to the gym to show them proof it was paid!! got call a week later asking for the money- went ballistic again- still no proof showing that it was takin- checked my account last friday and they have takin another €130 by laser card out of my account taking €260 and still nothing is showing up!! finding the management a joke to deal with and the staff unhelpful. Rang the manager twice yesterday- and rang again today 3 times looking for the head of accounts- still nothing sorted- I even asked for a copy of the contract to be sent out to me- hasnt materialised- does anyone know who to contact to complain about them?

Northcobird,

How have they right to go into your bank account and take money? I just don't understand this? Did you cancel the DD/Standing order with the bank?

Its crazy! Could you go to the guards? They took your money without your consent thats stealing surely?

hey there i cancelled my membership with Jackie Skellys the end of july and was told id have to pay 2 months cancellation fee- (even though i hadnt used the gym in two months!!! Cancelled the direct debit- and started getting constant calls from the debt collection team- who promised they would look into taking the 2 months i hadnt gone and had paid for as cancellation fee!!! Didnt bother- got more and more phone calls then got letter claiming they had my laser card details and would use the card to take the €130 out of my account- (without my consent- pin or signature!! didnt know they even had the details) they used my card in september and took €130 out of my current account- i rang them went ballistic at the managers who didnt bother returning phone calls and then they claimed they had no record of taking the money i was to get bank statements and drive to the gym to show them proof it was paid!! got call a week later asking for the money- went ballistic again- still no proof showing that it was takin- checked my account last friday and they have takin another €130 by laser card out of my account taking €260 and still nothing is showing up!! finding the management a joke to deal with and the staff unhelpful. Rang the manager twice yesterday- and rang again today 3 times looking for the head of accounts- still nothing sorted- I even asked for a copy of the contract to be sent out to me- hasnt materialised- does anyone know who to contact to complain about them?

You could consider taking a case against them via the Small Claims Court. You might also want to contact the Data Protection Commissioner about their retention and use of your laser details.

You also need to contact your bank and confirm that you do not want any further deductions to be made. If it were me I would put a block on the card and get a new one issued if necessary.

As per Complainer, the Small Claims Court and the Data Protection Commissioner. Without your prior agreement, it is illegal for them to keep banking/card details for any longer than required for their original purpose, and to use them for anything but their original purpose. One of the commissioners first cases was a well known cinema who stored credit card details when a booking was made, when a subsequent booking was made they would look up the person's details and re used the card number. This was reported the Commissioner who ruled that once the original transaction had gone through the card details must be deleted.
BTW, I would also consider getting all your paperwork together and going down to the Guards and to make a formal statement.

straight off contact your bank and tell them to cancel all payments/direct debits to JK's.

I don't understand why people are complaining about Jackie Skellys when the problem is they didn't read their contract.

In BIG writing beside the bit where you sign your name, it says you must give two months notice to cancel your membership, and the contract will auto-renew after 12 months.

When I questioned the sales guy about this he said if I want to leave at the end of month 12 I need to give my notice at the end of month 10. If I forget to do this I will need to give two months notice to leave. For example, if I wait until month 12 to give my notice, I will continue being a member until month 14.

This is straightforward and clear. If I messed this up I would blame myself; I wouldn't blame Jackie Skellys. But of course, unlike most people, I understand the concept of personal responsibility!

In my opinion their gyms are not dirty either. I have no problem with them. In fact, I like their gyms.

When I questioned the sales guy about this he said if I want to leave at the end of month 12 I need to give my notice at the end of month 10. If I forget to do this I will need to give two months notice to leave. For example, if I wait until month 12 to give my notice, I will continue being a member until month 14.

In principle I agree with Flax, and I am also a fairly happy member of a JS gym.

Without wanting to open this debate again, other people (possibly on this thread) have been told that they could not given notice at the end of month 10.

But the details on the NCA's website seem to say that Jackie Skelly's have now agreed to change all the T&Cs and submit to a fairer system of membership cancellation.

Flaxes statement is true about the contract, I learned a valuable lesson myself bout them when i joined Jackie Skelly.... I had such bad dealings with them... What ever happened to the customer is always right.
I left my old gym to join Jackie Skelly, after being promised it would have everything, turned out not to be half the gym they said it would...............got outa the contract tho by finding someone to take it over for me. But such a horrible shower to deal with who only want ur money!!!!!!!!

Well, I don't know, me and a couple of my friends were quite happy but when we decided to quit thats when the trouble started so you might see when the time comes flax! My friend was told the same as you and when it came to month 10 she had to wait til month 12 give 2 months notice etc etc, I quit and they also sent me a letter saying they were going to charge my laser whereupon I cancelled my laser and got a new one. I've never answered the phone to them and they have now gone away but i was near enough the end of my contract anyway. I would get on to your bank about it. I rang the NCA and they said JS have the contract sewn up. Incidentally I was told they needed my laser details for the deposit only. However, valuable lesson learned !

Re: Jackie Skelly contract end/debt agency/hygiene?

I'd go into Jackie Skelly and ask to speak to the manager and make my case to them.

CJH you obviously have never dealt with a crowd of "3 card trick" merchants like these.

The sales people will lie blatantly to you about termination clauses on the contract in the hope you wont feel the need to read them and if you are stupid enough (like I was) not to do so they even have the neck to suggest that even if the sales person lies, it doesn't matter.

All that matters is that you sign the contract.

Back