"Jackie Skelly Gym" contract end/debt agency/hygiene?

Have a look at the FAQs below. No apparent likelihood of an iffy credit rating on foot of any dispute emanating from a contract agreement that doesn't involve a loan.

[broken link removed]

Hi,

I have just received a similar letter. JS are threatening 'further proceedings'. I attempted unsuccessfully to call the 'Club Administrator' in May(five months ago) directly after I cancelled my DD to explain I was very unhappy about the gym (loud music, constant ads to buy God knows what, uncleanliness, no drinking water - you have to buy it at exorbitant prices and worst of all the rudest front desk staff in the world) and I was joining another gym.After I could not get through after several attempts(always on a call/at a meeting) I was assured by the front desk that they would cancel my membership.

Five months later (Nov 23rd) I receive a letter stating that they tried to contact me several times(untrue - once in May - of which I returned several calls without success) and that I owe them 400 euro. To add insult to injury they titled the letter 'Final Opportunity'.

My advice is to give Jackie Skelly Gyms a wide berth. They concentrate
on selling anybody membership - all smiles and assurances and that's where that attitude ends and very different attitude takes over. I have talked to so many people in my present gym who have left JS for similar reasons.

After I cancelled my DD to explain I was very unhappy about the gym (loud music, constant ads to buy God knows what, uncleanliness, no drinking water - you have to buy it at exorbitant prices and worst of all the rudest front desk staff in the world).

Did you put this in writing at the time you cancelled the DD? What do the T&C's of the contract say about early cancellation?

aj

I doubt if they can do banything to your ICB record. After all they didn't give you credit (did they?) If they gave you credit, then they should be regulated by the financial regulator!!!!!

Strawberry,

If I were you I'd ask to speak to the manager and explain why you are terminating the contract. I've learnt from past experience that if you speak up and state your case they will back down. I wouldn't give in without first stating your case.

I remember when she was working as an instructor in Riverview about 15 years ago.

They were done for littering (flyers) in Greystones earlier this year.

On a related note has Ben Dunne got tired of the gym thing? Haven't heard him on ribbing jackie and David recently...

Even better. I'd emphasise that while you are quite prepared to fulfill your terms of the contract, you'd appreciate a response to your latest letter.

Incidentally, is it certain that NOT paying would screw up your credit rating? This isn't a loan, it's an agreement to pay a monthly subscription. There's no credit involved so how can it effect your credit rating??

Can anyone answer definitively???

Not sure how definitive the quote below is but it look pretty convincing to me. I found this at [broken link removed].

"However, if you are pursued by a debt collection agency because you have not paid your monthly gym fees, could your credit rating be affected? Your credit rating is a record of any loans or credit agreements you have entered into with lenders. If you missed a repayment on a loan, this will be reflected in your credit rating and lenders could refuse to give you a loan or credit card in the future because of this.

The Irish Credit Bureau (ICB),which keeps a record of credit ratings and credit agreements, said that a person’s credit rating is only affected if they default on a loan or credit agreement of some kind, rather than a member subscription to a gym. ‘‘A credit record in ICB does not reflect any aspect of a gym subscription arrangement,” said a spokesman for the ICB".

I was just wondering if any of the people who got "further proceddings" letters got anything else after that..

I am in the same positon as jimmymc38 above, i cant give those *******s 130E.....

I was just wondering if any of the people who got "further proceddings" letters got anything else after that..

I am in the same positon as jimmymc38 above, i cant give those *******s 130E.....

I phoned the gym administrator and told her in no uncertain terms that, after her aggressive phone call and snotty letter to my wife, there was no prospect whatsoever of Jackie Skellys getting another cent from us. She said that she would refer it to her regional manager. I told her to do whatever she felt she must but that if Jackie Skellys decided to pursue us for payment, the next conversation she and I would have would be face-to-face. I also made her a promise that I would make it my business to expose the sharp practise they employ and the disgraceful treatment of their clients.

That was in late December and I haven't heard anything from them since.

However, given Jackie Skellys reputation, I'm not complacent and am still on Defcon 2!

Hi Guys, just wondering if you have any update on this? Do the hygeine problems just apply to Clarendon st and swords or any other gym?

Thanks! I'm a member at Ballsbridge and it seems grand to me? Pretty much every time i've been there someone was cleaning something. Although at night the cleaners start cleaning a half hour before closing time so you can't use the machines which i'm not terribly happy with. Anybody else at Ballsbridge?

I've tried to get a trainers appointment but can't get one until july???Also was at the gym for 2 hours other night and with all the classes in the pool (which seems small for the amount of members) i only got to use the pool for 5 mins in between classes. There was about 8 people queueing for lanes that just had to walk off.

I am just wondering if any can tell me did Jackie Skelly's gym "forget" about them after a while?

I froze my membership back in October as I had hurt my back, gave in a doctors letter (and was quizzed extensively by a member of staff who obviously fancies themselves as a doctor!) and signed some forms.

In January I received one of the letters mentioned by another poster basically saying pay up or we will give this to our debt collectors, I don't know the exact figure off hand but it was approximately €750 (I presume it was the balance of the years membership fee plus the two months mentioned by the OP) I called the gym (Swords branch) and after speaking to a number of people, I was put on to the manager, who quizzed me again about my medical problems, and told me that a number of people had received the letters as they had transfered all their account information to a central location and my file had probably not been sent with the electronic information. He said the membership would be frozen until 1st April when the DD would be reactivated, but it never was.

Now for the reasons already mentioned hygiene, overcrowding, constant sales pitch for classes and products etc, I do not want to return to the gym, there is also a new gym opened up nearer to home which would be far more convenient. I don't want this hanging over me but I don't really want to remind them of me either! It has been almost 6 months since I had any contact with them, I would like to sign up to the new gym, but could not afford to pay two memberships. Does anyone else have a similar experience with the gym?

Those of you who got the debt collectors letters, did anything more come of it, or did it simply "go away" I have only ever received one letter and no phonecalls (despite what it says in the letter!)

Many Thanks

Last edited:
it looks as though Jackie skelly never pursues court action despite all their threats. Interesing information on this at

thanks for that luciferxxvi interesting reading alright! Just trying to decide whether or not to move on and forget about them or come clean and go back to that gym until the end of my contract, seems like even if I did finish out the contract I would have a job and a half leaving anyway. They seem to have forgotten about me for the moment, just afraid now they will hit my credit card or laser card for the outstanding amount, I can't find the original receipt not sure how I paid, does anyone know where I would stand if they tried that?

I wrote a detailed email to JS in January complaining about the disgraceful hygiene standards. The manager rang up and addressed each point assuring me that things would improve. Nothing has improved, in fact it's much worse than it was a year ago. Unfortunately it's the closest gym so I put up with it.

I can't believe that somebody continues to go to a gym where they think the hygiene standards are disgraceful. The mind boggles.

I can't believe that somebody continues to go to a gym where they think the hygiene standards are disgraceful. The mind boggles.

From reading some of the posts, part of the problem is that Jackie Skelly makes it exceedingly difficult to cancel your membership or, at least, to stop them taking money out of your bank account/credit card after you do cancel.

But surely, even if they continued to take the money out of your account, you wouldn't go to the place if you thought you were going to get Legionnaire's or something?

Back