"Jackie Skelly Gym" contract end/debt agency/hygiene?

I don't think he's taking any side just giving an objective opinion which is what the OP is looking for. No point in every reply being pro consumer. A devils advocate is always helpful.

Cowser, Please refrain from personalised comments/attacks.

Fair enough, point taken, although I would also ask Clubman to refrain from insulting contributors simply because they have a different opinion to his, as he did to me in a private message the other day. Thank you.

although I would also ask Clubman to refrain from insulting contributors simply because they have a different opinion to his, as he did to me in a private message the other day.
This is untrue - here is the text of the PM in question which contain no insults unless you count Cowser calling some people "foolish". Please don't misrepresent the facts or what I said by PM! :mad:
ClubMan said:
No - I am not a restaurant owner or retailer of any sort. If you willingly agree to pay a stated price of €15 for a bowl of soup then it's not a ripoff. You have accepted the price that is clearly displayed. It may be a high price but that's a different matter. Ripoff involves some element of deception or sharp practice. If you the soup was described as home made but was actually made from an OXO cube then that too would be a ripoff. High prices don't necessarily mean ripoffs.
'Rip'off' can, surely, be only defined in terms of the mark-up the 'seller' enjoys, not whether or not the 'buyer' knows in advance that they are about to ripped off.
No. Margins are not the issue. The punter sees a price and decides whether or not s/he is willing to pay if for whatever's on offer. If they don't like the price then they can go elsewhere. If they do like the price or are content to accept it then that's their prerogative. No ripoff unless prices are not displayed (in which case the buyer should beware since it is illegal), they are charged more than the displayed price or the item purchased does not match the stated description.
If they still go ahead and order they are foolish, but it doesn't mask the simple fact that the price is ludicrous, to the point of being a 'rip-off'.
No.

Unfortunately many people including yourself don't seem to be able to distinguish between high prices and actual ripoffs which leads to confusion and means that true ripoffs don't get the concentrated attention that they should.

Regards
ClubMan
Askaboutmoney Administrator

It was Clarendon Street, I just found out also that a number of friends whom I joined with terminated their contracts without notice and where not threatened with legal proceedings

So what procedure should one follow when one wishes to terminate a Gym Membership contract (on grounds that the service is in some way deficient ie hygene)?

Clubman suggested:
What you need to do is when cancelling set out in writing your reasons and why you believe that the contract was breached and the penalty should not be charged.

I wonder is it advisable to speak to your solicitor?

I wrote a detailed email to JS in January complaining about the disgraceful hygiene standards. The manager rang up and addressed each point assuring me that things would improve. Nothing has improved, in fact it's much worse than it was a year ago. Unfortunately it's the closest gym so I put up with it. Maybe if more people complained they might do something.

A friend of mine left about a month ago and stated in a letter that she was leaving due to the lack of hygiene. I'll ask if she had to pay the extra two months charge.

Cahir, just wondering have things improved, I am experiencing major problems with hygiene at the gym, I have complained three times to the staff (twice to staff, once to manager) - I pointed out the problem to the manager, I then sent an email to the manager putting my concerns in writing - to date nothing has been done, this has been going on for about 6 weeks now and really has become a health and safety issue. As they are not taking me seriously does anybody know who else I can contact i.e is there a number you can ring to get health inspectors out - I know it's pretty drastic but these guys just won't listen to me - do they not read about MRSA and other bugs that can be spread in public areas?? :mad:

Cahir, just wondering have things improved, I am experiencing major problems with hygiene at the gym, I have complained three times to the staff (twice to staff, once to manager) - I pointed out the problem to the manager, I then sent an email to the manager putting my concerns in writing - to date nothing has been done, this has been going on for about 6 weeks now and really has become a health and safety issue. As they are not taking me seriously does anybody know who else I can contact i.e is there a number you can ring to get health inspectors out - I know it's pretty drastic but these guys just won't listen to me - do they not read about MRSA and other bugs that can be spread in public areas?? :mad:

Nothing has changed and I've complained again. Actually my latest complaint was on Sunday when after working out for almost two hours I discovered that the showers were ice cold - again. Apparently the pool and jacuzzi were also cold. I had to go home sweaty and I was so p*ssed off. They really need some competition.

Re: Jackie Skelly contract end/debt agency/hygiene?

Refuse to pay which results in bad credit rating which then results in future mortgage refusal by prime lenders which then results in a ludicrously high interest rate from a sub prime lender.

You could always employ an expensive solicitor and chase Jackie Skelly through the courts and you may win and you may get your costs paid for and you may get the black mark eventually removed from the ICB or you may lose resulting in legal bills and a bad credit rating.

Jackie Skelly aren't a member of ICB so any dealings with them would not show up in the ICB system.

I suppose theoretically if they went to court and obtained a judgement that might show up if someone did a search for judgements but that should be easily rectified by paying the amount the court orders.

Jackie Skellys in Swords have a horrible reputation also for hygiene issues among others , i know of someone that HAD there credit rating messed up over them ,refused a top up mortgage , so id steer clear of them for all of the above reasons , cheek of them !!!

Had the guided tour around Jackie Smellys...oops sorry...Skelly! Nearly fell off my chair when told the price. When they opened, for a limited time if you became a member, you didn't have to pay a joining fee. Whoop de doo!! Their terms of business are so intimidating and fees are exorbitant, Why anyone wants to run in the same place for a long time anyway, is beyond me, with the smell of other peoples body odour hanging in the air?? ......and you have to pay for it...yeesh

Jackie Skellys have started spamming me by text.

Awful.

Jackie Skellys have started spamming me by text.

Awful.

They've been doing that to me for a long time. In my latest complaint I asked how come they can send a load of rubbish texts but can't even send a text to say the water is off or they're increasing the monthly fee.

Hi Cahir it sounds like its the Swords branch that you are complaining about as my friend had the same problem with the cold showers the other day and when she complained he was so did not want to hear and when she went back a few days later they only had 3 showers working for such a big gym.

You could write to the gym stating that while you have no intention of breaching the contract, you would be interested to hear their views on the hygiene standards in place and whether they consider these acceptable or consistent with their demand for a monthly membership fee.

You could write to the gym stating that while you have no intention of breaching the contract, you would be interested to hear their views on the hygiene standards in place and whether they consider these acceptable or consistent with their demand for a monthly membership fee.

The gym responded to my first letter of complaint over a year ago saying that they were "trying out" a new cleaning system blah blah blah. They also said they'd take on board my comments about the sweat towel rule not being enforced, lack of sanitizer like in other gyms, kids eating crisps on treadmills etc etc. Nothing was ever done. They just couldn't care less about hygiene - it's all about getting as many people sqeezed in as possible. Unfortunately there's still no other alternative in the area. I haven't had a response to my most recent complaint.

I think for the sake of €100 I'd pay it, then make a claim against them in the small courts to get it back. I would seem theres enough evidence to support a claim. I suppose you'd have to document all your complains etc.

I haven't had a response to my most recent complaint.

Even better. I'd emphasise that while you are quite prepared to fulfill your terms of the contract, you'd appreciate a response to your latest letter.

Incidentally, is it certain that NOT paying would screw up your credit rating? This isn't a loan, it's an agreement to pay a monthly subscription. There's no credit involved so how can it effect your credit rating??

Can anyone answer definitively???

Incidentally, is it certain that NOT paying would screw up your credit rating? This isn't a loan, it's an agreement to pay a monthly subscription. There's no credit involved so how can it effect your credit rating??

Can anyone answer definitively???

According to [broken link removed]

ACC Bank
AIB Bank
AIB Finance and Leasing
AIB Credit Cards
Anglo Irish Bank Corporation
The Associates Bank of Ireland Bank
BOI Direct Banking 365
Bank of Ireland Finance
Bank of Ireland Credit Cards
Bank of Scotland (Ireland)
Barclaycard BNP
Capital Finance (now Fexco Asset Finance)
Bord Gais Finance
Caterpillar Financial Services
CIT Group Finance Ireland Ltd
City Financial
Clydesdale Financial Services
CNH Capital Ltd
EBS Building Society
Everyday Finance
Fiat Auto Financial Services
First Active
First Active Credit Cards
Ford Credit Europe