Is Eir Fibre BB worth the bad service

I've had Eir fibre to house. I always chop and change providers - I may even be with Eir now!

Anyways, never had any major issue with the product or the service.

Interestingly Eir have been doing a sales pitch around my estate in recent weeks, a neighbour got it installed today. I believe we have fibre ran to the poles and then they do overheard to the houses.

My understanding has been that fibre can't operate at full capacity on overhead wires and only through underground to the house. I believe the overhead could be capped at 500mb or 1gb i.e. no point paying for higher speeds that can't be delivered.

My understanding has been that fibre can't operate at full capacity on overhead wires and only through underground to the house. I believe the overhead could be capped at 500mb or 1gb i.e. no point paying for higher speeds that can't be delivered.
Mine is overhead and I get 1Gb/s. While I know there are different grades of fibre (single-mode vs multi-mode etc) I doubt that is coming into play here, so I suspect that might be a misunderstanding, though I am curious now!

Mine is overhead and I get 1Gb/s. While I know there are different grades of fibre (single-mode vs multi-mode etc) I doubt that is coming into play here, so I suspect that might be a misunderstanding, though I am curious now!

I have a friend working in the North for BT Broadband who now spends most of his time digging holes in peoples gardens and driveways to install fibre underground. This may just because they have a different system up there.

It could be just one of those things people have said without any really backing!

There is another install booking for tomorrow, will be interesting to see what they are planning to do.

Sure will keep everyone updated.

As Gianni says once I have a Eir Fibre, lots of options open

Had a look at Vodafone no mention of using virgin infrastructure.

In theory there should be no capacity difference for a fibre pulled overhead versus underground. However, fibre is more fragile than copper and so wind and icing are a problem for overhead installations so perhaps they are limited by the cabling options specified for outdoor use.

Also, the Eir small-print has a catch...

"The monthly price of your plan will increase each April by CPI plus 3%"

Nowadays, that's a lot.

I've read this a few times and my interpretation is that Vodafone are leasing wholesale space on Virgin's FTTH network (which only passes about 200,000 homes currently), and not Virgin's legacy coax to the home network (which offers 1Gbps but is only fibre locally, not to the home).

Vodafone do not want to be in the business of managing cable modems, but they're happy to sell services on FTTH, whether that's on NBI, Eir, Siro/ESB or VM infrastructure.

Last edited:
OK so the game is over for this year.

Back onto VM this week

Eir have been a consistent disappointment
I wish the sales team were trained to know the installs can't be done if not on the system

Worth a try

New customer router on the way from VM, so need to do some setup at home again
Hopefully the vodafone deal will be available next year so I play them off each other on the VM netwrok.

Back