Is Eir Fibre BB worth the bad service

Booked for next thursday 24th so see how it goes

I am in the detached house at the end of a row of semi D's in Tallaght, so see what happens.

I think my Eir duct got blocked when the front door was moved out

Not a big priority for SIRO I would say as plenty of other options for most EIr and VM

As was said once I have a VM connection and if this works then I am laughing on options,

The other thread suggest that Circet (formerly KN Networks) who work on behalf of most providers here will not install any ducting on private property.

Don't VM use their own network/connections while the others share infrastructure?
Yes VM's network is proprietary, it started life as cable TV (or 'piped' at it was known then) and adapted for broadband, which means they have no competition on it.

For FTTH (Fibre To The Home), it's not so much that it's 'shared', rather that it's open to competition, just like the electricity or gas supply network. There are in fact 3 FTTH networks (Openeir, SIRO & NBI) but that's largely academic, if you live in an area where any of them are 'live' you can pick the best deal on offer from any of the providers who offer services on it.

VM do offer a reliable service and at least in my case, there was an element of inertia with changing to a FTTH provider, but 2+ years in, I couldn't be happier with the decision. I'm no longer tied to one company, I can switch provider every year, thanks to the magic of competition.

After 25 mins on wait I got through to VM to cancel
Was offered 36 fir 9 months and 74 for the last 3.
My maths is good enough to spot a higher price to keep a loyal customer

I know the VM line is different and can't be used by anyone else. It just means if Eir gets fibre into me I go to all the providers that hand of the Eir fibre or go back to VM at the end of this contract.

VM is on now until Sept 15th, can't believe I am talking about Sept.
So time to get Eir in and working.

Worst case I have a 4G Wifi from work that will keep me going. plus my own phone on gomo so 80GB there.

Won't suit everybody but, as I've said, you can cancel and sign up as a new customer on a new customer deal the day after the 30 day notice period expires and your account closes/service terminates. Next (week)day delivery means you'll be up and running the day after that unless you're into a weekend. So maybe a day or two downtime if you manage things carefully.

Fair point Clubman if Eir end up being the disappointment I know they can be.

The fact that the author knows about the level of service from Eir, and took the time to even post this question, amazed me!

Put a call into Virgin, be patient and you'll get to speak to their staff, discuss leaving and they'll give you a discount to stay. Expect 50% for 6 months...

Put a call into Virgin, be patient and you'll get to speak to their staff, discuss leaving and they'll give you a discount to stay. Expect 50% for 6 months...
They already did. The VM offers to keep existing customers are still much more expensive than what they offer new customers. Hence my approach as explained above.

The fact that the author knows about the level of service from Eir, and took the time to even post this question, amazed me!

I am also aware of the silent minority versus the vocal few.

A couple here said they had fibre to home and no issues.

I am pretty sure once it goes in and is working, it could be fine, if it is not I will give an honest review.

" be patient.."

It's ridiculous that in 2023 with VM you have to haggle like market stall trader every year for your broadband. Worse still they only do it over the phone, which means being on the phone and call queue for ages.

Last time I had an outage with VM it lasted 7 days, support only got back to me on the 8th to say they couldn't see a problem and had no record of it.

Also ridiculous that if you have a line that fails the test how hard it is to get that resolved. If at all.

Install date arrived
Installer arrived, very nice chap from Circnet
He was expecting to install standard non fibre BB

I explained not what was order
He had a look aup and down the road no sign of fibre on eves so found a box
He has submitted for a survey to make my end house a potential hub.

I don't hold out much hope

I was very clear to sales rep about the issues and lack of a copper line from previous attempt.

Eir as expected

Vodafone will soon be using the Virgin Media Ireland network to provide broadband.
Are you sure? I heard VM might use the Siro (Vodafone/ESB) network to provide broadband, I didn't hear there was a bilateral agreement (Vodafone over VM) as well

FWIW I’ve had Eir FTTH for a few years and it has been rock solid. The fibre in the area was knocked down in the storm last week, I spoke to a very helpful person on their help desk who answered within a couple of rings and explained the process clearly. Fibre was back online a couple of days later. Excellent product and service so far for me. I had Virgin Media before that for a good few years and also found it very good.

Back