Is Eir Fibre BB worth the bad service

Frank

Have an offer from Eir to put in Fibre for 12 months for €35 pm

Virgin are charging me 67, so on price a no brainer.

I have heard enough horror stories to be cautious, or is this just the small vocal minority?

@Frank - I've had Eir FTTH for the past 3 years with zero issues.

I'm on the full 1G package, but will probably drop that to 500Mb package once the renewal comes up (depending on the cost savings) - but so far service has been without issue since I got it installed.

Have an offer from Eir to put in Fibre for 12 months for €35 pm

Virgin are charging me 67, so on price a no brainer.

I have heard enough horror stories to be cautious, or is this just the small vocal minority?
If you get on to virgin media, say you are not prepared to pay the amount quoted and agree to be fixed into a 12 month contract again they will generally offer 200MB broadband for €45 per month for 9 months.

If you get on to virgin media, say you are not prepared to pay the amount quoted and agree to be fixed into a 12 month contract again they will generally offer 200MB broadband for €45 per month for 9 months.
Or do what I did - cancel and sign up immediately the 30 day notice period is up as a new customer to get the new customer deals. You may have a day or two downtime though so it may not suit everybody to do that.

Jazz good to know thanks.

Flyby the seat, yeah have played that game a few times, would like to get the Fibre in though to have options to properly play them off each other.

I know Eir is the back bone to most of the providers other than Virgin.

Their customer service has improved dramatically in recent years, certainly from personal and extended family experience. I wouldn't let old stories put you off.

From others in my family, their contact centre and customer service when your raise an issue is a lot better but they fixing of issues is still slow and leaves a bit to be desired

Have had eir fibre for 4 years with no issues. A bit of messing around at the install stage, but no problems since then.

Also have had Vodafone using SIRO fibre in another house. Install was all fine but a number of poor billing episodes at each renewal with Vodafone.

It is not clear what service Frank is being offered.

It could be
  1. Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)
  2. Fibre to the homepage (FTTH)
I have had FTTC with Eircom for over 10 years and have had no problems - but then I am only 400m from the cabinet

Pulled the trigger

Allegedly fibre to the house
Will see how the install goes.

Sky currently have an offer of 500Mb for €30 p/m on either a 12 month or 24 month contract.

Edit: It is €35 now - was €30.

€30 offer still appears to be live

Pulled the trigger

Allegedly fibre to the house
Will see how the install goes.
Is there a fibre line running to the house already? I've seen another thread recently where an install was abandoned as there was no ducting in place to bring fibre from the property boundary to inside the house.

Is there a fibre line running to the house already? I've seen another thread recently where an install was abandoned as there was no ducting in place to bring fibre from the property boundary to inside the house.

SIRO ran their cabling along the front of the houses in our estate, leaving a small "junction box" on each house for anyone who wants to proceed with an install. No need for ducting.

SIRO ran their cabling along the front of the houses in our estate, leaving a small "junction box" on each house for anyone who wants to proceed with an install. No need for ducting.
I don't believe stringing the fibre across buildings like that is the most common approach, but if it is in place then Frank is laughing. The thread where the user didn't have ducting in place is here.

Last edited:
I don't believe stringing the fibre across buildings like that is the most common approach, but if it is in place then Frank is laughing.

They have done dozens of estates in Galway this way. They bring it into a central point underground (presumably also used for ESB purposes) then bring it underground to a house on either side. From there it is across from house to house around the estate. In some of the larger estates there is more than one of these central control points - a locked manhole. I take it that each one can only service a specific number of houses.

They have done dozens of estates in Galway this way. They bring it into a central point underground (presumably also used for ESB purposes) then bring it underground to a house on either side.
As above, fair enough if Frank is living in such an estate where they are doing this, but many are not.

In semi detached estates Eir used to bring one duct up the center then supply both houses from one junction box. Not as messy as it sounds either..

Back