how will the recession affect you personally ?

To be honest the recession has affected me personally in a good way. More than every I feel happy with my lot, and for a while there I was starting to forget just how lucky I was. I have a house that I love and can afford and due to the recession I no longer feel the pressure to have a bigger more expensive house, I now think gosh wasn't I lucky that I bought a house that I can afford and thankfully the unexpected large hike in my mortgage repayments won't affect me too much. I will be hanging on to the old car for a while longer, I have no loan on it, its very reliable and I now no longer feel the need to buy something newer and trendier just for the sake of it or because all my friends are getting nice shiny new cars. I know it sounds very shallow but I would listen to this and that and suchabody got a new car or have friends saying how long can you see yourself in this house before you upgrade (I'm only in it a year!) and its amazing how they have all changed their tune now, while I am sitting pretty and delighted with myself for being so sensible! I don't complain about my job as there really is very little I should be complaining about, and I am in the lucky position of having a job. I am also avoiding superquinn (dread to think how much I spent there while just popping out for milk!) and am doing the bulk of my shopping in Aldi and Lidl. The other half actually gets excited when he sees how many items we can buy for 20 euros! Its the simple things in life that make us happy now :)

To be honest the recession has affected me personally in a good way. More than every I feel happy with my lot, and for a while there I was starting to forget just how lucky I was. I have a house that I love and can afford and due to the recession I no longer feel the pressure to have a bigger more expensive house, I now think gosh wasn't I lucky that I bought a house that I can afford and thankfully the unexpected large hike in my mortgage repayments won't affect me too much. I will be hanging on to the old car for a while longer, I have no loan on it, its very reliable and I now no longer feel the need to buy something newer and trendier just for the sake of it or because all my friends are getting nice shiny new cars. I know it sounds very shallow but I would listen to this and that and suchabody got a new car or have friends saying how long can you see yourself in this house before you upgrade (I'm only in it a year!) and its amazing how they have all changed their tune now, while I am sitting pretty and delighted with myself for being so sensible! I don't complain about my job as there really is very little I should be complaining about, and I am in the lucky position of having a job. I am also avoiding superquinn (dread to think how much I spent there while just popping out for milk!) and am doing the bulk of my shopping in Aldi and Lidl. The other half actually gets excited when he sees how many items we can buy for 20 euros! Its the simple things in life that make us happy now :)
great post.

great post.

Agreed - it's injecting some realism.

Me, the recession will have little enough impact - my old equity SSIA has lost a bit of its value, but that's not a problem. I can't sell the apartment, which I wanted to do, but no harm really - the rent means it covers itself. My income is stable, as are my outgoings. And at the end of it all, I'll have the opportunity to take advantage of the recovery when it comes.

I'll just batten down the hatches and ride it out.

To be honest the recession has affected me personally in a good way. More than every I feel happy with my lot, and for a while there I was starting to forget just how lucky I was.

I have said once before on this forum that sometimes it is easy see other posters earnings and general wealth and feel like you arent doing as well you would like. I would totally agree with Deedee though, in that, I am happy with my lot. My friend recently lost her job and with a mortgage similar to my own, I can feel her desperation when now faced with a very difficult situation.

To be loved and be surrounded by people you love, to have a bed to call your home and have your health is more than alot of other people will ever have............getting a bit maudlin' now...time to sign off!

1000's of Construction works to be let go on eve of Builders Holidays - I know of one company letting 100 go - a medium sized contractor

Reading some of these posts, you could forgive someone for thinking we have been throw back into the dark ages.

Reading some of these posts, you could forgive someone for thinking we have been throw back into the dark ages.

Most posts are saying that the reccession will bring back the normality and realism that is required for a more content existance. The dark ages are gone for good.

Joejoe

i hope this recession is going to be like the one back in the eighties......but i have a feeling it wont be!

Well we wont feel too bad until our possessions e.g flat screen Tvs get old and break down and need to be replaced. Until then we can feel smug in our overpriced houses and pretend we are wealthy just like before ;-)
amen to that.

Well, I finish my PhD in a totally irrelevant humanities area next year and I'm a bit worried. In the old jobs climate I might have been able to sidestep into something completely unrelated (My sister kept shouting business at me....) However, with fewer jobs and more competition for them this is looking less likely and my very interesting and enjoyable PhD will probably be useless to me.

Well not totally useless, as it is a grueling process that imparts many valuable skills. That said, don't expect to be spectacularly rewarded at the pay table for having one!

Surely a position in academia remains a possibility?

i hope this recession is going to be like the one back in the eighties......but i have a feeling it wont be!

I hope it isn't as while we can manage comfortably now with me just having given up work to be at home with the kids, if the mortage interest rates hit double figures life will become very difficult!

This must be one of the most stupid comments I have read on AAM. Can you not remember the circumstances of the 80s, when there were queues at the Airports and Ferries with young people having to emigrate simply to find work. The thousands of un-accounted Irish in America remain as a direct consequence of the 80s, where now they are unable to travel home even to bury their loved ones. Generally the average person was living hand to mouth, with no hope of bettering themselves. I had thought the Irish had overcome this but with selfish attitudes like this of Starlite we have got nowhere but dug an even bigger hole for ourselves. Bully for you - I hope for your own sake you are never in want.

i managed to survive through the recession of the 80s as did many of my friends...things were tight but people looked out for each other more that they do now...probably to do with the faster pace of life these days.
seem to remember the pubs being a lot more packed in the 80s too.

Back