how will the recession affect you personally ?

I can't understand all of the thinking of we're doomed. Worst case scenario for me would be lose my job in which case I would take up any other (number of) jobs to make sure that debts were paid etc. .
i think with ten thousand plus signing on the dole every month, you will be very lucky to take up any number of jobs! or even one.

The job section is still pretty full, but I hope not to find out in any case

The employment may not be as good as the boom years but it is nothing like the eighties. I know of one retail company who have trouble recruiting staff at the moment - the quality of the candidates is poor. The same job in the same company in the eighties attracted 800 applications.

Things are brilliant but it's not total doom and gloom. The Irish are a nation which is more comfortable when things are bad - it's in our nature

Let's not worry about the big 'R' word for now, it's a summer bank-holiday weekend, the sun might shine! And you can't spell a recession without a 'cession'.

A colleague of mine told me that her 19 year old nephew could not find a summer job (Cork city area) and he was willing to do anything (barwork, restaurant, shop) - I was surprised at this as I thought there was always plenty of these jobs to go around.
Also, I read an article in Examiner the other day written by a student on a J1 for the Summer in south Carolina and the main thrust of it was that there were almost no jobs available and that a number of the students were turning around early and coming home. I remember my own days spent on the J1 (nineties) and we had a huge choice of jobs - you could literally walk out of a job and have another one within a hour if you so wished. Times have certainly changed...

Also, I read an article in Examiner the other day written by a student on a J1 for the Summer in south Carolina and the main thrust of it was that there were almost no jobs available and that a number of the students were turning around early and coming home. I remember my own days spent on the J1 (nineties) and we had a huge choice of jobs - you could literally walk out of a job and have another one within a hour if you so wished. Times have certainly changed...

Both true and not true - on my own J1 in the 90s I could have walked out of 1 job and into another in the big city i started in, but then I moved to a small seaside town and within a couple of weeks all jobs had been filled by us J1-ers so if you left one there wasnt another easily available - the same thing was experienced by a number of students, but a move to the next big city always resulted in work.

But we are hardly back in the 80's even by the gloomiest of outlooks.
No, we are in the seventies looking forward to the eighties.

Really, do you think people shouldn't prepare for a bad outcome? Do you think they shouldn't put that little bit extra aside just in case?

A lot of people here have made enough money and savings to ride out a recession, God knows anyone in construction has had that opportunity surely.

Most guys working in construction have earned, on par or slightly better than the industrial wage. There was money made in the boom, but by developers and land owners .

in the recession of the 80s we had huge national debt, in the recession we are facing into now we have riseing national debt, coupled with massive personal debt that we did ot have in the 80s...work it out!

Most guys working in construction have earned, on par or slightly better than the industrial wage. There was money made in the boom, but by developers and land owners .

This issue was already discussed in full in another thread. For the first time in yonks, I noticed a large queue of mostly males outside my local Social Welfare Office the other day, it sure brought back memories of the 80's to me also I am aware of construction workers who recently went to London and they having to return after been unable to source employment there. At least back then there was an alternative, emigrants were more or less guaranteed work in the USA or London. It is going to be far more difficult for the unemployed especially the unskilled to find work abroad in this recession.

Last edited:
One must remember this recession in the main is caused by mistakes by Banks worldwide, that made careless lending look very simple. And now we all are been asked to pay for their mistakes. It really is as simple as that. No point in blaming Government. How many times did the Irish Central Bank issue warnings and the Banks ignored these warnings. This is going to be a tough winter.

Mercman, you are some revisionist. This boom of the last 5 years was brought on by Irish speculation, Irish householders, small landlords, local banks, lax planning, political-developer links, uncontrolled immigration to keep demand high.....it had f#ck all to do with other countries except for easy credit.

Maybe I'll remember why I liked Irish people when they don't talk so much about their new cars, houses, how much the house next door sold for, how much I made on appreciation in one year, how great Ireland is the best place in Europe blah blah.... greedy sh@wer of borroxes for the last five years.... as if Ireland was the centre of the world rather than the piddling little self centred country it is with reams of social welfare spongers, making money by shifting bricks to each other. This will be good to get the country out of its bad environmental policies (overdevelopment) also.

Ireland won't be going back to any 1980s reccession but people will have to do service and retail jobs they turned their noses up to. There is still a good tech (pharma/electronics) and service (software/finance) centre in Ireland will keep things running along.

If the economy sinks too much it will be difficult for I and many others to come back though.

you are right mainasia......we became far too greedy, knowing the price of everything but the value of noting......a humble cup of tea lost out to starbucks 4euro latte...but now the piper has to be paid!!!

Really, do you think people shouldn't prepare for a bad outcome? Do you think they shouldn't put that little bit extra aside just in case?

Of course they should but not just because they fear the end is nigh they should do it in any case.

This boom of the last 5 years was brought on by Irish speculation, Irish householders, small landlords, local banks, lax planning, political-developer links, uncontrolled immigration to keep demand high.....it had f#ck all to do with other countries except for easy credit.
The 'boom' has been underway a lot longer than the last 5 years and its pretty narrow minded to look upon it as a bad thing.

Maybe I'll remember why I liked Irish people when they don't talk so much about their new cars, houses, how much the house next door sold for, how much I made on appreciation in one year, how great Ireland is the best place in Europe blah blah.... greedy sh@wer of borroxes for the last five years.... as if Ireland was the centre of the world rather than the piddling little self centred country it is with reams of social welfare spongers, making money by shifting bricks to each other. This will be good to get the country out of its bad environmental policies (overdevelopment) also.
So we have become far more materialistic, but it sounds quite bitter to suggest that you prefered the Irish (summarised) when we knew our place.

Mercman, you are some revisionist. This boom of the last 5 years was brought on by Irish speculation, Irish householders, small landlords, local banks, lax planning, political-developer links, uncontrolled immigration to keep demand high.....it had f#ck all to do with other countries except for easy credit.

And why, what where and who fueled this greed ? The Banks pumped money to those that offered no security. In fact the less that one had the better the chance they had of the Bank's lending. Who funded the speculation ?? Little point in blaming developers or Politicians as I have already mentioned. They themselves gave enough warnings.

Little point in blaming developers or Politicians as I have already mentioned. They themselves gave enough warnings.

I must have missed that. What warnings did developers and politicians give over the past few years about the unsustainable housing bubble that had been created? Do you have any links?

Little point in blaming developers or Politicians as I have already mentioned. They themselves gave enough warnings.
All I have heard from politicians and developers from the peak of prices in 2006 to now is "there's never been a better place to buy", "there's never a bad time to buy a house", "buy now because these prices won't last", "there's great value out there", "the begrudgers should go and hang themselves".

Can you point to a single warning from before August last year?

Yes, at least one. David McWilliams has been talking down the market for over four years. Now he can claim to be right. A stopped clock being right twice a day!!!!!!!

Back