how will the recession affect you personally ?

This is going off topic, but surely you remember how difficult things actually where. It is a much faster pace here now but we have moved on with still a hell of a way to go. Yep we all remember the oubs been packed and we would all drink a heap of beer and drive home. There were few Taxis in Dublin and we all acted irresponsible. I would like to think that Ireland has moved on to be a modern progressive Country with a huge amount of talent. Hopefully this is a slight blip and overall we all are better off if only we can shake off the Inferiority Complex and Begrudgery still pandemic in our society. Only if we could !!!!!

I would like to think that Ireland has moved on to be a modern progressive Country with a huge amount of talent.
the only thing we have moved towards in the last twenty years is becoming more greedy and thats what has got into most of this recession,at least back in the 80s we enjoyed a few beers and the crack.
easy access to money always ends up in a recession...just a matter of time. rough times ahead!

the only thing we have moved towards in the last twenty years is becoming more greedy and thats what has got into most of this recession,at least back in the 80s we enjoyed a few beers and the crack.
easy access to money always ends up in a recession...just a matter of time. rough times ahead!

Starlite, your a bit of an old romantic, as alot of the older generation are, at least the ones that own there home or have a small mortgage and work in the public sector.

Joejoe

dont fall into any of the above three joejoe...well maybe the older part, not to old though!!!!!
as for working in the public sector......if only.

Well we won't feel too bad until our possessions e.g flat screen Tvs get old and break down and need to be replaced. Until then we can feel smug in our overpriced houses and pretend we are wealthy just like before ;-)

There was a TV for 89 Euros in Dunnes last xmas and it included a DVD player. Mind you it was a small TV but a TV & DVD nevertheless.

Well not totally useless, as it is a grueling process that imparts many valuable skills. That said, don't expect to be spectacularly rewarded at the pay table for having one!

Surely a position in academia remains a possibility?

Would love a job in academia but they're hard to come by. Thanks for the reminder about all that stuff to put in my cv though; self-discipline, analytical skills, excellent net surfing skills etc :p

dont fall into any of the above three joejoe...well maybe the older part, not to old though!!!!!
as for working in the public sector......if only.

You brought a smile to my face, only because I was expecting a different return. "Happy Reccession" :D

Joejoe

It has made me look for a new job, wasn't let go but sales were not happening. Got a new job offer last week, higher pay, way better sales potential and I get to stay in the industry I am in! Happy out now! :)

i managed to survive through the recession of the 80s as did many of my friends...things were tight but people looked out for each other more that they do now...probably to do with the faster pace of life these days.
seem to remember the pubs being a lot more packed in the 80s too.

I agree, at least in the 80's we did not have huge loans to worry about.

oh to be back in the eighties ( I am serious ). Things are worse now.

If you only rate progression on how much value people put into having wealth then we are a greedy lot, but we want more and more because we have shown in the last 15 years what we are capable of in a variety of areas. We have been greedy because we could be, in the eighties we took what we could get which wasn't a lot. Luckily we are not headed back to the dark ages.

Luckily we are not headed back to the dark ages.

You mean the 80s? I think it'll be worse. I think there is nothing to attract foreign investment here, no construction industry, shrinking manufscturing uncertain agri business. The muti-nationals are barely hanging in and once a big one goes we're in serious trouble. The biggest difference between the 80s and now is personal debt, so imagine an unemployment rate somewhere what is in the 80s but with unemployed people with masive personal debt and i dont mean mortgages. Thats the banks fecked and thats us all fecked....I was one of the critics of future shock etc but my God I was wrong

You mean the 80s? I think it'll be worse.

You're over doing the pessimism there. It was really bad in the 80s. We're no where near there. Business services are still doing ok. We still have a lot going for us. We're in a necessary correction that will leave us in a better position to compete in the globalised economy.

You're over doing the pessimism there. It was really bad in the 80s. We're no where near there. Business services are still doing ok. We still have a lot going for us. We're in a necessary correction that will leave us in a better position to compete in the globalised economy.
I sort of agree. I think it will be worse than the eighties if you lose your job, for all the (quite rightly) gloomy reasons given above. If you stay working and ahead of your debts, life will go on much as it has.

I can't understand all of the thinking of we're doomed. Worst case scenario for me would be lose my job in which case I would take up any other (number of) jobs to make sure that debts were paid etc. We are a lot more adaptable than we give ourselves credit for, I think the big change that people will struggle with is social status, things like coming down from new bmws etc to 'ordinary' cars, not wearing deseigner gear, basically materialistic things that don't matter.

I heard one investor whos name escapes me saying that this worldwide recession will put the focus (and value) back on quality. That can't be a bad thing.

I heard one investor whos name escapes me saying that this worldwide recession will put the focus (and value) back on quality. That can't be a bad thing.

I think it already has, people are less likely to look past substandard work and excuse it which can only be a good thing. Sometimes I'll go back to a vendor and say they were willing to pay €x but want to knock €10k off because leak needs to be fixed, tiles are loose etc and the vendor will say 'its a second hand home what do they expect' well now they expect the price to reflect the condition as well as the location.

Regards new developments I think if the work is bad people aren't looking for money off they are just looking elsewhere altogether.

I heard one investor whos name escapes me saying that this worldwide recession will put the focus (and value) back on quality
That investor was probably talking about himself being able to pick up good stocks cheaply, which is going to be a limited comfort for anybody laid off.
I would take up any other (number of) jobs
In a recession like back in the '80s there will definitely not be any number of jobs for somebody to take up. I clearly remember literal queues around the block for McDonalds jobs. Sometimes an economy just cannot provide jobs for everybody who wants one.

Right now the exodus of male Eastern European construction workers has had a side effect of taking many of their female partners out of retail jobs. This has created an impression that retail and services have an endless ability to absorb workers, but in reality they are now employing less as well.

A lot of people here have made enough money and savings to ride out a recession, God knows anyone in construction has had that opportunity surely.

I don't think the overall unemployment will be as bad as the 80s unless multinationals pull out (and they might). What does worry me is the global situation together with our domestic situation. At least in the 80s there were jobs elsewhere to emigrate too - that mightn't be the case now. Fuel and food prices are a global issue now, everywhere is struggling with that. I wonder what gas/electricity charges were back in the 80s and how much a part of household budget they were. We've got more household charges now like sky, bins, management fees etc that I don't think people had back then. Food is rocketing. Water charges may come in. I think life for low-mid skilled workers/earners may turn out to be every bit as tough as back in the 80s except there will be nowhere else to go.

Back