George Lee Resigns?

We need a very strong opposition in the current climate. Two things worry me about Fine Gael.

As Brendan alluded to, Richard Bruton has not indicated that he has any radical or innovative economic policies. It is very easy to criticise and agitate public frustrations against any government at present. What we want is an alternative to the government offering viable options.

Secondly, if George Lee was appointed chairman of the FG economic committee, why didn't he call any meetings? Surely, this was a vehicle he could have used to suggest and formulate policies with the bonus of getting concensus within the party.

It looks as if the people will be sticking with Brian Lenihan's pragmatic policies at the next election.

Secondly, if George Lee was appointed chairman of the FG economic committee, why didn't he call any meetings? Surely, this was a vehicle he could have used to suggest and formulate policies with the bonus of getting concensus within the party.

As UFC pointed out, he seemed a little lost and expected people would come to him.

He was encouraged to spend his early months getting to grips with how politics worked.

Perhaps if he had done what he was told and learned how the system worked he could have started to wield influence

Of course you'll have plenty of people who can see George Lee do no wrong and insist that the whole system was wrong and not George. Even if that was the case he needed to learn the system first and then try reform it.

Look at how peace was worked out in the North, Bertie sat in negotiations where he was the only one who had not committed murder! In politics you have to be very pragmatic, a man of George Lee's experience should have known this from the start rather than wasting everyone's time figuring it out at the age of 47!

Well, the general view of FGaelers on the Frontline last night was that George should have 'done his time' on constituency work before expecting to be given any other responsibility. Basically, he should have spent a few years sorting out people's grants and medical card issues, promising to look into traffic calming measures and turning up at every funeral in town, before his economic expertise could get a look in. Says it all about Irish politics really.

He should have gone independent and got a deal for the area that elected him.

He was right to ditch FG who have no alternative to NAMA or solutions to the recession

To be honest, as one of the people who elected him it wasn't so that he could 'do a deal' for me and my neighbours. It was so that, if FG got elected, there would be someone in there who knew what he was doing.

As Brendan alluded to, Richard Bruton has not indicated that he has any radical or innovative economic policies. It is very easy to criticise and agitate public frustrations against any government at present. What we want is an alternative to the government offering viable options.

Bruton is very very weak IMHO. In previous budgets when we were flush (on borrowed money) he was always saying that the govt weren't spending enough, during the last election he came across as very weak in terms of policies, and these days he just says the same lines over and over - "we will tackle public finances and create jobs" - But how how how Richard? at which point he talks in circles with politician speak waffle.

he wanted to influence economic policy not get the footpaths in Dublin South fixed.

I can't understand why he did not follow the lead of Dr. Alan Ahearne if he really wanted to influence policy. OK, it would have made his RTE position untenable in the short term. But that is a small price to pay for actually being at the table where the decisions are made.

Listening to the George Lee interview this morning on Today FM I was shocked to hear George say that he has literally only spent a few minutes one on one time with Richard Bruton in the past nine months. Does anyone else think this is very odd??! I had this notion that George Lee had been brought in to thrash out economic policies but it does sound like he was surplus to requirements.
I admire what George Lee has done - he seems to have put principles before politics.

Listening to the George Lee interview this morning on Today FM I was shocked to hear George say that he has literally only spent a few minutes one on one time with Richard Bruton in the past nine months.

As I write this, I'm listening to Richard Bruton saying that "George Lee never rang me with ideas" Is that how one influences FG? Ring each other??? I think that proves George's point.

These two interviews appear to tally. Doesn't augur well for FG as a credible (possible) government, imho

Matt Cooper said this evening that met Richard Bruton coming out of a meeting at 1:15 yesterday and he informed Richard Bruton that George had packed up. Richard Bruton didn't know anything about it eventhough Enda Kenny had known for days about the possibility. Wouldn't that inspire confidence in people of their ability to govern the country effectively? :rolleyes:

... I am very disappointed in GEORGE LEE. HE comes across as a pathetic and petulant man ...
I am neither a FG or FF supporter and was disappointed to see Lee parachuted into that constituency.

However, at the time I was glad to see a party, any party, reach for a perceived economic authority in the midst of a very real economic crisis.

Lee is now in my eyes the Roy Keane of Irish politics. However he lacks Roy's single greatest redeeming feature; actual proven ability in his chosen field. Lee was only ever an observer and commentator whereas Roy had the cuts and bruises of a true participant.

I am neither a FG or FF supporter and was disappointed to see Lee parachuted into that constituency.

However, at the time I was glad to see a party, any party, reach for a perceived economic authority in the midst of a very real economic crisis.

Lee is now in my eyes the Roy Keane of Irish politics. However he lacks Roy's single greatest redeeming feature; actual proven ability in his chosen field. Lee was only ever an observer and commentator whereas Roy had the cuts and bruises of a true participant.
I agree with mathepac. Practice and theory aren't necessarily good bedfellows.

Except that Roy returned to the fold , can't see George following suit !
I think it far more likely that it was Roy's opponents who suffered cuts and bruises !

I'm not an FF or FG supporter but vote for whom I think is best for the task. I think FG stay too long analysing how to respond to FF suggestions rather than coming up with a viable alternative... Bruton seems to be full time complaining about Lenihan suggests without coming with a better solution... I think Lee must have been sick of this and maybe was not being listened to in FG.

It is very surprising George didnt go independent if he had all these great ideas... Very surprising George never published or wrote down these great ideas whilst he worked for RTE... Some people love the sound of their own voice...now i think George is one of these... he wasnt heard in FG so he wants to get back on RTE so that he hear himself talking again... Issue is it is going to take time to gain back respect

I agree with mathpac - since when was George Lee an economic genius??

Ok - he got a masters from the LSE. So what? Everyone on this forum surely knows at least five eejits with various types of masters, MBAs, PHDs under their belt.

Prior to his election George was an economic commentator for RTE - a minor celebrity on a very small island. As part of his job he commented on the economic welfare of this country. That is all I can remember him doing - I certainly don't recall him suggesting any radical policies or solutions. Frankly I always thought it was a bit arrogant of him to suggest that he was somehow going to solve all our economic wows once he was elected to office. On what did he base this?

If you break it down George has large amounts of experience of dealing with the media, (through his job!!). He also happened to have a very high profile since he was the our largest tv station's economic commentator. Finally he was running for office when Fianna Fail were at their lowest ebb. Even Dustin the turkey would have had a chance!

I have never seen any signs of economic genius from George Lee. He was a bit of a coup for Fine Gael at the time (which has backfired spectacularly). In my opinion he must have a massive ego - essentially he has thrown the toys out of the pram when things werent going his way. I fail to see any show of character when he quit after 9 months!!!! My sister will probably be pregnant longer than that.

I no time for George after this - and to be honest I never saw him as anything more than a commentator before he got elected anyway!!

(BTW is there any truth in what Vincent Browne said last night, i.e. that George can't comment on any political matters in Ireland for 7 years?)

Vincent Browne also said that part of his new job with RTE would probably entail interviewing circus performers!

Back