George Lee Resigns?

A PR nightmare for Fine Gael. It would indicate to me that there is no way on earth Richard Bruton is going to be detached from his role as FG finance spokesman. A short sighted stance from FG. Getting Lee to join the party and win the election was a good move for them but if they can't look after their internal affairs when in opposition, what hope have when/if they have to run the country? To me, it points to a party in disarray, especially when combined with the fact that Enda Kenny felt the need to apologise to his parliamentary party for his recent poor performances.

from the Irish Times on Saturday ..

"Willie O’Dea, made the following observation about George in his soaraway Sindo column last week: “I suppose George is Fine Gael’s bidet. None of them know precisely how to use him, but they feel he adds a bit of class."

from the Irish Times on Saturday ..

"Willie O’Dea, made the following observation about George in his soaraway Sindo column last week: “I suppose George is Fine Gael’s bidet. None of them know precisely how to use him, but they feel he adds a bit of class."

Brilliant! :D

Didn't realise he was giving up his seat as well. Have to say, it wouldn't really encourage anyone who felt they had something to offer to make the move into public life would it. Can only imagine the frustration of party politics.

Apparently a lot of noses were out of joint in FG (not least Leo Varadker's) when he was catapulted in and talked about as a possible future Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment. I don't think they exactly rolled out the red carpet for him. Very, very shortsighted of them.

Talk over on politics.ie that he might start a new party.

About time that someone tried it. There is a large amount of apathy out there in relation to the exisiting parties. Difficult to achieve anything but it would make things interesting.

However, I do not believe I would be serving the electorate honestly if I were to continue allowing my efforts and mandate to be used to promote and market economic policies into which I have had no input.

Get the impression he isn't the biggest fan of the policies either. It's one thing to have had no input when the policies are good.

I always thought this was a car crash in waiting for FG. Since Lee came along, Bruton has dropped off the radar a bit or at least didn't seem as confident which was a pity as he tended to be the FG person with some semblance of being competent.

Maybe he feels it would be unethical given that he won it as a FG representative. (Yes, I know. But he is different from the average politician.)
Sorry, answer to jhegarty's post..

Horrific news for FG - Party looks in disarray

It'll be an interesting by-election with Shay Brennan just 1,000 1st pref votes behind Alex White (LAB) 9 months ago.

Talk over on politics.ie that he might start a new party.

Surely he wouldn't have quit his seat if he were thinking of starting a new political party.

But yes, it would be great to see a new party with a pre-requisite for candidates to be actually qualified in some way to run the country. Candidates with a proven track record in academia, business and so on, not just with family connections or sporting backgrounds.

Back