Gay Marraige For or Against

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Purple, I just believe there are some really unfit parents out there. I'm sure there there are great gay couples who can offer a lot to a child, however if there is gonna be ridicule towards them (as it would be with some peoples stance on this) then perhaps it shouldnt be allowed.

In the same breath, if you mam is a drug addict or your dad an alcoholic, you will probably get the same abuse veered at you for that.

I also think that same sex couples should have equal rights. At present same sex couples can foster children, so that right should also be extended to adoption.

Gay Marriage: For.

Gay Couples being allowed to adopt children: Against.

I'm in favour of equal rights for civil unions (whether you call it marriage or not) for everyone.

And that includes adoption - if the adoption rules are followed, then only suitable parents (of whatever sex) should be selected to adopt a child.

I wonder if the "stigma" which may attach to an adopted child is greater if the gay parents are male as opposed to female? Selective discrimination?

Do gay couples wish to have the same rights for the security/financial side of things or because they believe in what a marriage represents? I don't see the argument of 'some straight couples are brutal parents' as being an opening to allowing same sex couples the rights to adopt. Unfortunately bad parents can have children because they have the ability to physically do so as nature intended, the adoption route should be very strict and ensure that there is a balance in the couple.

I guess gay couples just want the chance to have the options like straight couples, have a choice, like have equal rights in every aspect.

IMHO

Marriage = Man + woman + church + priest

No substitutions

I was in a hall in Gretna Green 2 years ago seeing my sister in law and her bloke and some other bloke in a suit and something that looked like an anvil. I still can't bring myself to refer to it as a marriage.

Same sex couples ..
- civil union - fine
- property & inheritance rights - fine
- adoption - hmmmm

I'd have to agree with Purple on this one.

+1

Yep, and its your right to have an opinion. But not all mothers and fathers deserve to be, sometimes a child is better off out of a certain environment where a parent might be abusive/agressive/bullying whatever it is.

I have a friend who, along with her sister, was raised by her mother alone, back in the 80s when it was pretty much frowned upon, because her father was not fit to be a parent. Her mother was courageous for leaving, and her daughters turned out to be two lovely ladies. I think if the dad had stayed in the picture, it wouldn't have been the same case at all.

My experiences of familes breaking up back in those days is the mother got it all and the father was always the bad guy.

I know that Purple, I just believe there are some really unfit parents out there. I'm sure there there are great gay couples who can offer a lot to a child, however if there is gonna be ridicule towards them (as it would be with some peoples stance on this) then perhaps it shouldnt be allowed.

In the same breath, if you mam is a drug addict or your dad an alcoholic, you will probably get the same abuse veered at you for that.

You are quite correct Smashbox but the reverse holds true too.

Some of the worst Nazis were homosexual.

I think arguably yes, the most stable environment for children to be brought up in is with a father and mother.

However, to be blunt, on a regular basis I see "parents" who TBH, if there is any justice, should be sterilised. Nothing stops them or many like them having as many children as they want.

At least with adoption, parents are fairly thoroughly vetted and are much less likely to be terrible parents like the above mentioned - the same would apply to gay couples.

I think arguably yes, the most stable environment for children to be brought up in is with a father and mother.

However, to be blunt, on a regular basis I see "parents" who TBH, if there is any justice, should be sterilised. Nothing stops them or many like them having as many children as they want.

At least with adoption, parents are fairly thoroughly vetted and are much less likely to be terrible parents like the above mentioned - the same would apply to gay couples.

But as has been said the bad parents shouldn't be part of the debate as they can physically create life naturally, so 'we' really can't stop them pre-creating. A good balance is a strong mother and father, if you have a father and father it does complicate things for the child and that is who we care about here not the adults.
What happens in a break up? the mother usually has the rights to the child, which father will have more rights?

I'm Christian (I associate the word 'religious' with a lot of hypocritical behaviour and attitudes so I'm reluctant to use it, but I go to Mass every week).

I'm married (10 years next week - and still haven't killed each other!). I got married in a church, with a priest, the whole thing.

I also got married knowing (and being fully open about it) that I didn't want to have kids.

Friends of mine, a couple (both women), are also married and have recently had a baby. I'm very happy for them and am glad the baby will grow up in a happy, stable home.

I'm definitely for same-sex marriage. And not just the legal bit. I got married in a church because it meant a lot to me to have my union blessed by God and my community. I'm guessing that for spiritual gay and lesbian couples such a blessing would be important to them too. The only difference between their marriage and mine is plumbing - I chose not to put mine to the purpose that nature intended, just as a couple without the necessary combination of 'plumbing' can choose to get around that problem - with the medical science or by adopting.

To be honest, I've more of a problem with hetrosexual people too careless with their ability to make babies, making unplanned babies outside of the support and security of a permanent, commited relationship, which is difficult for everyone involved. Or those who choose to marry in a church for whom the ceremony has no spiritual meaning - why not have your wedding ceremony reflect your beliefs and values?

Anything that supports promotes stable, secure relationships (regardless of the plumbing of the people involved!) and allows people to celebrate their relationships is a good thing by my book.

This is a no-brainer for me. Equal rights all the way, including adoption.

Same here. Marriage was a way to further demonstrate my parner my commitment to our relationship and to avail ourselves of the legal rights afforded to married couples. To deny the same rights to homosexual couples is discrimination based on prejudice and ignorance, like all other forms of discrimination.

But as has been said the bad parents shouldn't be part of the debate as they can physically create life naturally, so 'we' really can't stop them pre-creating. A good balance is a strong mother and father, if you have a father and father it does complicate things for the child and that is who we care about here not the adults.
What happens in a break up? the mother usually has the rights to the child, which father will have more rights?

No, it shouldn't be part of the debate - but 'bad parents exist' is the only point I'm making - gay or straight. Being gay in itself doesn't necessarily mean that any or all parenting skills will be lacking.

Obviously things may not be straightforward for a child with same sex 'parents' but I think as the world moves on this will become less and less of an issue.

Yes, maybe some gay people only want to get married because of the financial/security aspect and not because they feel strongly about the concept of marriage but so what? Plenty of straight people do the same thing - I know one such couple who happily admit this.

The break up question is a good point - but this is something that can surely be worked out/addressed in some way - it shouldn't represent an obstacle to gay marriages anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back