Gay Marraige For or Against

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashbox

If you've been around any US Gossip sites recently (like me!) you may have heard about Miss California stating that she didn't believe in Gay Marraige to Perez Hilton, a gossip website owner who is gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XMvviFbkf0

Just wondering in an age where people aren't so strict with Religion anymore, are you guys for or against gay marraiges?

Oh, and please don't make this into a Religious fight.

I think gay people should have the same rights (civil, legal or otherwise) as heterosexuals. No more or no less.

I think it's just fair and common sense, so I'm definitely for.

I have to say I'm with Cav on this one. I do believe that 'equal rights' should include homosexual people, who after all are no different than Mr & Mrs whoever down the street.

I know a lot of gay/bisexual people and wish there were an option for them to be like 'normal' couples and have the choice.

I could be wrong, but I always believed that marriage was for the union of man and woman to form a family unit, I don't see the benefits in legalising gay marriage except maybe financially for the gay couple, which isn't enough to constitute allow it imo. It's not an anti gay thing I just don't see the real need for it. I would generally be liberal but would prob vote against it should it ever come to that.

I am 100% in favour or a civil union that gives the same property rights, inheritance rights, taxation benefits, pension rights etc but I am unsure about the adoption rights that would follow. In theory I have no problem with a gay couple adopting a child but life is hard enough for kids without putting them in a position where they will be open to the biases of other and the ridicule of their peers. I also believe that the best environment for a child to grow up in is with its father and mother. To me there is a clear conflict between these issues and I don’t know what the right answer is.

I think that the issue of adoption rights for homosexuals is a totally separate issue,
and muddies the issues of marraige rights. I

I know I am stating the obvious, but it is possible to have children without being married and lots of married people dont have kids, so marraige is not strictly about having children either.

Some people are religious and marraige in their religion has a religious significance for those people, but marraige, in the eyes of the law is a legal contract which seriously affects peoples tax and inheritance situation, so it very much about money. It makes no sense to bar homosexuals from this legal contract.

I would be in favour of gay couples to have civil unions, indeed marriages. but i think some of the problems are in the definition of the word marriage from the dictionary it states (this is just one meaning):

the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

marriage is so explicitly linked to a religious ceremony that i think this makes it sacred to alot of people who are opposed to gay marriages, however if you take the meaning above it also states that legal commitments can also be seen as marriage. i think the definition/meaning of the word is so built around man/woman because it has been like that for so long that it will be hard to change peoples views on the subject.

BTW she was HOT!!!!!:D

I think that the issue of adoption rights for homosexuals is a totally separate issue,
and muddies the issues of marraige rights.

No, the word "marriage" muddies the real issue which is civil union. Marriage automatically bestows certain adoption rights, the two are interlinked. Marriage and the family, and therefore children, are associated in the constitution.
This Wiki article gives a good outline of the whole position here.

I think gay people should have the same rights (civil, legal or otherwise) as heterosexuals. No more or no less.

I think it's just fair and common sense, so I'm definitely for.

+1

Seems unfair she lost given that she only gave her view on a subject that has little to do with a beauty contest. Then again, apparently she chose the judge to be questioned, so it shows that she's not the brightest (again though, not really relevant to a beauty contest!).

Then again, apparently she chose the judge to be questioned, so it shows that she's not the brightest (again though, not really relevant to a beauty contest!).

She chose him through a random draw, has to be pointed out.

Yep, and its your right to have an opinion. But not all mothers and fathers deserve to be, sometimes a child is better off out of a certain environment where a parent might be abusive/agressive/bullying whatever it is.

I have a friend who, along with her sister, was raised by her mother alone, back in the 80s when it was pretty much frowned upon, because her father was not fit to be a parent. Her mother was courageous for leaving, and her daughters turned out to be two lovely ladies. I think if the dad had stayed in the picture, it wouldn't have been the same case at all.

Oh, and for anyone interested, as always, there's a petition online run by 'The Right Campaign' looking for 8,000 people to sign.

Here's what they say :

The Irish Government promised us that 2009 would see the introduction of 'Civil Unions' for same-sex couples. Yet, 2009 is well underway and still no action has been taken by our govenment.

This petition aims to not only push the government into action, but also to say that these vague 'unions' aren't good enough.
We demand equal rights to civil marriage as any heterosexual couple. Denying us this, denies us our right to equality.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/gay-ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back