Ex's pension plan maturing - he has left the country for good

Emmosea

In 2005, my husband took out a small pension with Irish Life. In 2007, he absconded - he is now living in South East Asia, and I only hear from him occasionally by email. I have received a letter from Irish Life, addressed to The Pension Trustees of his (now liquidated) company, stating that as his 60th birthday is approaching, a relatively small sum (€6,000) is due, together with an annual pension of €300.

When I phoned Irish Life, they advised me to contact the Ulster Bank Branch who sold him the policy. My husband has huge debts owing to that particular bank, so I'm reluctant to make them aware that there is any money due to him, as I fear they will claim it against his debts.

Obviously, he has not worked in this country since 2007.

I believe that my husband would be prepared to write a letter giving me authority to administer this policy, but I haven't asked him yet.

Can anybody advise me how best I should approach this, so that the money can be accessed by him, or by me. I was a director of his company, so despite Data Protection, Irish Life were prepared to discuss the matter with me by phone this morning.

Any steer in the right direction would be appreciated.

What did Irish Life state on the letter that your husband had to do in order to receive the lump sum ? Did they to ring them or did you just do so out of curiuosity ? I'd just fill in the relevant forms and send them of and see what happens.

Also any debt is now likely to be statute barred so UB would not be in a position to pursue any claim! having said that Irish Life are still the policy providers and UB would not be in any position to address the issues required!

The letter is headed 'pre renewal communication for 'my husband's name'.

It goes on to say that as the plan anniversary date is 1 October, now is the time to review the benefits of the plan, blah blah. Overleaf, they give updated details.

Overleaf, they give the estimated retirements as of today's date at age 60 (which is mid-October) - the figures I mentioned in my first post.

The person I spoke to in IL was delightfully vague. She kept telling me I should get advice from the seller of the policy.

The long & the short of it is..... How does he, or me, on his behalf, get the dosh?

Suggest.

Copy and send back Irish Lifes letter and ask them to forward whatever documentation necessary to have matters sorted by October,
Also explain to them that since he in Asia what do they require to have you deal with matters.
Keep copies of everything and don,t rely on phone calls.
Normally on phone calls you get a blocker not a solver.

ircoha on your use of language.
Fair enough, in that out of context they can viewed as (hard) but don,t let it stop you putting in queries.
I have found the site a great education.

Excellent advice, Gerry. Thank you. And thaks to all who replied. Much appreciated.

I wouldn't mention Asia, I'd be inclined to say that he is currently working abroad.
Why not, Elcato?

You see? This is exactly why I asked my question in the first place. I am unsure about what may or may not jeopardise any possible claim.

Lol, lads! Can we focus on what I should to to get this dosh? Seriously! I have struggled hard for the last 8 years. A cash injection of a few thousand would be actually life changing.

I believe that my husband would be prepared to write a letter giving me authority to administer this policy, but I haven't asked him yet.
what I should to to get this dosh?
Just wondering if you are doing all this ground work in anticipation of getting the money, but your husband also has it in his mind that the cash injection would be great for him too, once it's all sorted by you. It's his money, he's entitled to it, he may want it ... just throwing it out there...

Emma,
As the company was liquidated you may have to get the liquidators to sign the claim forms. Before paying the claim Irish Life will check the Company Registration Website to see that the person who signed as trustee is still a director. If the company was just wound up without formal liquidation then you should be OK to sign as trustee.

However,as trustee, you are confirming that all details in the claim form are correct and that the money will be passed onto the employee.

So... The liquidator has signed the forms & has become the trustee. But Irish Life is insisting on 'yer man's' signature. Almost despairing at this stage....

I made contact with my estranged husband. He has signed the claim form & sending the original back by courier. Assuming this is sufficient for Irish Life & they issue a cheque, My next problem will be cashing that cheque, as I'm guessing it will be in his name. No joint accounts remain in both our names & as he doesn't have a bank account out yonder. Thoughts?

Would the liquidator, as trustee of the pension, be able to a) cash any cheque or b) request the cheque be made payable to him?
I'm aware that this probably seens ridicously trivial to many on here, but, seriously, six thousand euros would make an enormous difference to me right now.

Just a couple of questions, Are you and himself still married? if not, are you claiming anything in regard to being separated/divorced? have you any children as a couple? was he made bankrupt? Are the companies debts still live? Please don't take offence at my questions as they're not directed in that way. If you get this money and use it there could be problems down the road, especially as there's a paper trail.

Back