Ex's pension plan maturing - he has left the country for good

Ok. whenever he phones me, a variety of numbers show up on my phone, Italian numbers, American numbers, Nigerian numbers. When I did a Google search of these numbers, warnings about spurious scamming sales companies appeared. The mobile phone number he uses to Whatsapp the kids is one in S.E. Asia. So I'm assuming that he is on the shady side of the law. Also - a call to the consulate of the country he is living in revealed that he exits the country every 11/12 weeks - presumably to renew his visa, which would indicate again that he has no legitimate documentation - hence no bank account.
Yes, we are still officially married. I don't have a residential address for him, and, anyway, I can't afford to engage a solicitor to start divorce proceedings. The kids were 12, 15 & 16 when he ran away - they are now all over 21. He never sent a birthday or Christmas card, let alone any money to me or them.
Regarding the company's debts - there are approx 18 judgement mortgages on our family home. I was a director of his company.
He wasn't made bankrupt, to the best of my knowledge. Would I have been informed if he had?
As I said, he has been gone since 2007. Since the day he ran away, I was upfront & honest with everybody about everything. Tempting as it was, I did not keep any of the cheques which trickled in after his departure, when me & the three kids were literally penniless. (He cleared out our joint account). Any sleepless nights I've had since then were not due to fear of being found out for doing something illegal. This is a good feeling - and I certainly am not going to start doing anything hooky now. Probably far too much info here, but this is where I'm at right now.

Would the liquidator, as trustee of the pension, be able to a) cash any cheque or b) request the cheque be made payable to him?
I'm aware that this probably seens ridicously trivial to many on here, but, seriously, six thousand euros would make an enormous difference to me right now.

It doesn't seem trivial at all. But the trustees do have an obligation to ensure that the policy is mature and paid to the member. Your best bet is seeing if your ex will waive his rights to the payment and have them paid to you. I am not sure if that is even allowed (I have never come across someone waiving their right to a pension), but you should argue as you are still his spouse, you should be considered when maturing the pension.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back