England v Mexico match

We follow the English game every week, support English players, and then shout for whoever their opposition is. Alot of English people actually support Ireland and hope we do well whenever we play.
Its like the way we slagged the English over the 'Hand of God'. Why don't they get over it? And then when the same thing happens to us, we kick up a huge fuss. Small mindiness.

England didn't exactly get over the Hand of God there and then. Are you saying they didn't kick up a huge fuss. Go back and look at the newspaper headlines.

So what if people cheer for whoever the opposition is. I will also be cheering for anyone playing France for the obvious reason. And for anyone against Germany because of the wars. (Not really, it's because the buggers always put their towels on all the sunloungers when I am on holidays).

Will I be depressed if England win? No, I will be happy for my English relatives and friends. Will I enjoy cheering on the opposition and slagging said English relatives and friends? You betcha! It's harmless banter. The English couldn't care less who we support.

Small mindiness.

:confused: Why do you keep saying this?

As has been stated, the fans in many countries have the teams they love to see fail. England is no exception.

In fact, to be perfectly honest, I think English fans have more of these teams than most.

Thats my point. I know the English kicked up a huge fuss about it. But we criticised them for doing so. Then when we were in the same boat, we did exactly the same.
All I know is a lot of English people were supporting Ireland in USA '94 when they're team didn't qualify. Its a pity we can't reciprocate. Then again 800 years and all that......

Its small minded because
1) we follow their game,
2) we pack the pubs every weekend to follow their teams,
3) we travel over in our thousands every week to watch their teams play,
4) the English don't mind the Irish winning,

Its like the way we slagged the English over the 'Hand of God'. Why don't they get over it? And then when the same thing happens to us, we kick up a huge fuss. Small mindiness.

The greatest goal ever scored in the World Cup was scored by Maradona...in that match

:confused: Why do you keep saying this?

As has been stated, the fans in many countries have the teams they love to see fail. England is no exception.

In fact, to be perfectly honest, I think English fans have more of these teams than most.

I think the difference between our situation and say Germany/Holland or Spain/ Portugal is that many Irish fans support English club teams with great passion. The Premiership is much more popular than our own domestic league.
Some of my friends are staunch Liverpool or Man Utd fans and spend a lot of time and money supporting them. I've been in pubs and seen guys nearly come to blows when arguing about English football teams.
They idolise players like Rooney and Gerrard when they play for their club but take pleasure when they get beaten in an England shirt. I can see why some people find it strange.

They idolise players like Rooney and Gerrard when they play for their club but take pleasure when they get beaten in an England shirt. I can see why some people find it strange.

Why? I know plenty of Engligh people who idolise Rooney and Gerrard in an English shirt but who would abuse them to the rafters when they play for their clubs. It's no different.

Also a team like Real Madrid are a hugely followed club in Portugal. Don't think there will be many Portuguese wishing success for Spain.

England got to the semi finals in 1970 and 1990

Actually you are wrong. They did not make the semis in 1970 - quarter finals.

And they didn't qualify at all in '74 '78 or '94.

In '82 they only made it to group 2. So arguably, in terms of world football they had a fairly barren 16 year stretch from 1970 to 1986.

In 14 meetings with Ireland (hardly a world class team) they have only managed to beat us 5 times.

I'm not being churlish and I'm not criticising them as a team per se (in fact I know very little about football anyway) but the England team so often paint themselves as the world cups "nearly men" - permanently on the verge of winning the bloody thing and it's just not even close to reality.

For someone who knows very little about football, you've just given me some very specific facts! I stand corrected - they were actually 2 - 0 up against West Germany in the 1970 quarter final and lost 3 -2.

I'm not suggesting we all go down the Nags Head, wrapped in our union jacks and singing "Three lions on the shirt" ! All I'm saying is as they are our closest neighbour, and the players are the most familiar to us, wouldn't it be nice to see them go as far as possible?

For someone who knows very little about football, you've just given me some very specific facts! I stand corrected - they were actually 2 - 0 up against West Germany in the 1970 quarter final and lost 3 -2.

I'm not suggesting we all go down the Nags Head, wrapped in our union jacks and singing "Three lions on the shirt" ! All I'm saying is as they are our closest neighbour, and the players are the most familiar to us, wouldn't it be nice to see them go as far as possible?
No.

It still amazes me that you can cheer for Wayne Rooney of Steven Gerrard each week, but then hope that they lose when they are playing for their country. Small mindiness

I dont think anyone HOPED that England would lose .We just want to see that best team win. Looking forward to Wayne Rooney joining Man.City but for now I dont like him . Do you get the picture now Liamos?

Levelpar, have you not just read the last two posts? That is exactly what people hope...England to lose.

Also, if you don't like Wayne Rooney why do you want him to play for Man City?

I also hope Shamrock Rovers lose every week......

Following sport is supposed to be fun. It is not about making political or cultural statements. Most Countries have a sporting rivalry with England. Look at Australia. They are part of the commonwealth. Do you think they will be cheering for them?

In football terms they are not ( that would be Northern Ireland), in geographical terms they are not that would be Wales. Im from Mayo and i sure a heel dont want my nearest neighbour go far in teh All Ireland!

Why? I know plenty of Engligh people who idolise Rooney and Gerrard in an English shirt but who would abuse them to the rafters when they play for their clubs. It's no different.

Don't think its the same thing. In that case you are talking about english fans putting their club loyalty to one side to support their national team. In Ireland, you get plenty of fans that hero worship players when they are playing for their club but would begrudge them success at the national level.
I'm not saying I'll be cheering on England in the World cup but I'm not that obsessed with the premiership anyway. I find it more bizarre that some people will go around wearing a football jersey with 'Rooney' or 'Gerrard' on it, but when they are playing for England are willing them to play poorly.

There are players of many nationalities in the premiership. Its quite common for players from a club that an Irish person supports to be playing against Ireland. Supporters generally support a club not a player as players come and go. Club and International football are different types of competition. Arguing that Irish people should support England in the World Cup because there are English players playing for their favourite club is no different to expecting Barcelona fans in Ireland to cheer for France when Henry scored his dodgy goal.

England did not make the semifinals in 1970. They were beaten by W Germany in the quarterfinals. I remember it well. England were winning 2 0 at halftime and the English commentators were sure it was in the bag. Germany scored three in the second half to win the game. They in turn were beaten by Italy who were beaten by Brazil.
Anybody who wasn't around for this era can have no idea how myoptic and nationalistic the English commentators of the era appeared.

Back