Dublin: Which areas are good buys?

Past30Now said:
I don't think the estate agents are purposely lowering asking prices in order to attract interest, I think even they are surprised at the rate of growth over the last twelve months.

2 examples - pal bought a four bed detatched house in littlepace in clonee for €400K last March - 12 months later a 4 bed semi d on the same road is asking for €500K

Other pal bought a four bed in Lambourne off Clonsilla Road for €330K last April - next door neighbour is looking for €570K for almost the same house - he has extended over the garage where my pal hasn't.

Neither house has sold yet - both are only on the market in the last fortnight, so nothing is proven by the asking prices, however it does indicate an increase of greater than 20% in one year.

Hi - I think it is true to say Est agents are lowering their prices to attract interest. We are selling our house at the moment and the estate agent said it wouldn't go for less than 370 but he was putting it in at 330 to attract interest. He said that people fall in love with a house and manage to get the extra cash as the bidding process goes on. I know its a crap thing to do but as we are selling we have to take advice off the est agent! we have lost out on a few houses due to the bidding process and are now going to settle on a new house which we know the price and it wont change!

beachman said:
ncosullivan, portmarnock is a lovely area, close to donaghmede and malahide..dunno if it's considered good value anymore

Yeah be careful with portmarnock - we viewed a few and you wont get a house for less than 550,000 that doesn't need refurbishment. So unless you have your heart set and the cash to boot donabate might be better value if you dont mind the commute.

I'll just add my bit as my family own property on the Northside as do I.
Donnycarney- is an area that in the last 3 years has doubled in price. It appears to be due to all the amenities. Ex-coproration houses mostly which is not great housing in design but solid and can be redesigned. 2-3 bed houses mostly some with huge back gardens. 3 years ago a great investment now more growth is possble but in line with the rest of the market €350-400k . really depending on the amount of work done as there are many extensions. Yound proffessionals live in the area now.
Cabra I believe is a very similar area with mostly the same housing. It prices are rising and new transport links are being added. New appartment blocks being built will probably out price the local houses. In other words in the same area you could buy a 3 bed house with garden for less than a 2 bed appartment in the very same area. In 10 years at the longest your house will be worth more than the appartment.
Beaumont No longer really for FTB in house terms with houses heading over the €500k and more in some new estates. Appartments in the area are mostly rented due to the hospital and DCU. Not a great place to buy. Some of the estates are heavily rented mostly the estate newly built close to the hospital but this is where the prices are high too. Not great for a family community but a steady income from rent is likely.
Artane Is really two areas as far as I can make out. One part close to the original castle and the other part beside Harmenstown. The castle side of things was most privately built while the other is mostly ex-corpo. THe ex-corpo area still has some social problems but mostly teenager trouble which most areas have.
Whitehall-
A lot of corpo housing but a lot older with the maturing cailm that comes with that. A lot of rental property due to DCU and Beumoont hospital. High prices due to investors. Not great for a FTB but well serviced
Santry- Very diverse housing lots of rental and investors due to DCU but lots of appartments too. New hosuing in the area and well serviced with shopping centre. Many family homes. There is closeness to Ballymun and new ballymun estates tend to use the name Santry a little too easy in many locals eyses. Santry Cross is Ballymun if you ask me. THere have been trouble with theft along the borders of the two areas.

Generally it is hard to say any older areas are not well serviced with most so close to each other and can share facilities. I can talk about other areas too but I might just bore people with my opinion and experience. It's just opinion one way or another. My mother and father grew up in a coproration estate so I have no bad view of the estates it is easy to explain the housing in those terms and it is noticable in the areas. FTBs now wanting to buy in older areas are really squeezed out but there good buys if you can do it and if you want to take a big risk some of the rougher parts of some areas are affordable but not many would really risk that. Getting a step on the ladder now may not really be the best in Dublin's older area if it over streches you

Maryar said:
Hi - I think it is true to say Est agents are lowering their prices to attract interest.

In fairness to the agents they aren't lowering the price as such just marketing it. If you ring the agent office they generally tell you what their prices represent, if you ask. Generally it is 10-15% below the expected price but can be as much as 20% and as low as o% depending on agent, price, location. In Massachewsetts (sic.) the publish the prices house go for so people know what prices in the area should be. A very simple effective way to deter the practice. People here wouldn't like it I would guess due to the secretive view many people have here. I have seen brothers refuse to tell eact other the price they paid. I mean if people can claim cameras checking tax disc is invasion of privacy how would they view this?

Looking for several months now with a decent loan under my font seat - yes things are rising but there are signs of a bubble in some areas. I've looked at Apts that have peaked in price - estate agents tell me the price was the same 6 months ago. I wouldn't be in a rush to buy in an up and coming area. I think for value good properties in south Dublin (esp close to the Luas) are worth looking for. The quality of new houses that I've seen is terrible! I can't imagine them standing in 15 years time! On th eother hand I'm still looking so who knows how my mind will change.

dublin 13 have lovely new developments, really nice. friend of mine has gone and looked at one called mayeston hall. also areas in santry , all very convient for transport and town.

sinead01 said:
friend of mine has gone and looked at one called mayeston hall.

I don't think Mayeston Hall is in Dublin 13, I think it's St. Margarets/Dublin 11.

I wouldn't recommend that development based on our experience with the builders in another of their developments.

COVITCH,

Could u tell me more about ur troubles with the builder...thinks its Berina isn't it??

I put a deposit on a 3 bed house in Mayeston Hall...not sure yet if i will go through with it, but was generally impressed with standard of finish in showhouse, and i think the price is relatively good given proximity to city, M50 etc...

appreciate any other opinions??

collieb said:
COVITCH,

Could u tell me more about ur troubles with the builder...thinks its Berina isn't it??

Yes, it's Barina. I'm not really going to going to go into it here-I'll PM you. I don't know if they are any better or any worse than any other builders, but I amn't that impressed.

Back