Dublin: Which areas are good buys?

Re: Which areas are good buys?

Wow thats unbelieveable! 50 to 100K differences! Sorry to hear that you missed out. Have you looked at Santry, Whitehall or Beaumont? If its any consolation I bought an apartment recently for the advertised price. The EA kept telling me if I offered the asking price it would be accepted. I didn't believe her, messed around for a few days below it, eventually offered it and nearly died of shock when the offer was accepted. So yes I can understand if you are cynical!

Just read shane ross in the Sunday indo and u will find out all u need to know about the ethics and qualification requirements of auctioneers- dare I say it worse than car dealers

I think Whitehall/Larkhill is a great buy - the Omni centre is being redeveloped, and one day there will be a Metro stop in the vicinity. It's only 3 miles from town, and has lots of schools, shops etc. And a great new gym in DCU!! Some of the 2 bed ex corporation houses are still going on the market for under the 300 mark, although they probably all rise to 317 in the end.

there are some great bargains in east wall guys...luas line coming in and new developments planned for the area?????

Sorry I havent beem back sooner, from my own experience blanchardstown is a nightmare as the m50 m3 junction is just a wall of traffic in the morning, to me clonee would be a no no

somewhere inside the m50 I think is good
Ive personally just bought a semi d house north of finglas because its inside the m50 close to all the shopping centres and I heard that it has a very fast buslane, I looked at crumlin and cabra but was outpriced and the ones that arnt are truly in a state.
Just curious as to what people thought!:)

All of Europe with the exception on Ireland, UK and Spain would be better value! We are still stuck in a time warp with regards to number of houses versus population. Simple 101 economics. Demand > Supply .. Price rises and will continue to until interest rates bring it to a halt.

I live in clondalkin village. Very nice area close to luas and M50. good bus service, shops and the local Gaelscoil is one of the top 30 schools in the City. Traffic will improve when the red cow junction is upgraded and a bridge will link the village directly to the luas depot at the red cow

WizardDr,

Is it not the case that the number of houses in Ireland versus population is lower than the European average?

It may also be to do with the fact that apartments in Europe are generally larger than the ones here, and that they often have extra storage space for seasonal goods/bikes etc. They also have much better security for the tenants, and so people feel secure to be life-long tenants, rather than feeling that they must buy.

darkdays said:
We,ve dropped out of two

One started at 495 and we left at 545. The other started at 385 and we dropped out ar 472. I don't know if it's the season that's in it or if we've misjudged the whole area. Our own house sold quicker than we thought and we've nowhere to go lol. Seems the remarks re agents not giving realisic asking prices may be true, or I may just be overly cynical.

DD

DD, the house across the road from me sold in Sept'03 at auction for 501k - an old lady going into a retirement home.... refurb needed etc. In Sept this year an identical house just down the road in same condition sold at auction for 836k - that's 335k increase in 24 months. I know the agent and gave him a shout "Glasnevin is on fire, we've loads of people on our lists". The problem is going to be getting the bloody kids to leave the nest if prices keep going like this.

Roy

Are you willing to move out of Dublin??

Kildare has some great places which are very well serviced by trains etc, and in another 7 /8mths will have a motorway right into the red cow.

Plus can still get some reasonable priced houese etc.

Ex-corporation houses in Larkhill, Whitehall and East Cabra are great buys in my opinion. Still reasonably good value for money, yet fantastic locations.

Houses in lower Ballyfermot are a good buy. Though the prices have gone up considerably over the last 18 months or so mainly because of the first time buyer stamp duty exemption. Lower Ballyfermot is less than 4 miles to the city centre. It's a comfortable cycle but a bit of a long walk. I have read that a LUAS line will run through Ballyfermot at some stage.

Alot of the young people who are curently living in City centre apartments (most of which are not very large), I will believe will eventually want to move to houses when then start to have children. This will push the prices of houses up, including houses in Ballyfermot.

Because of it's location it is easy to rent out property in Ballyfermot to immigrants and social welfare tenants. The rental yield is probably better than most areas in Dublin.

ADK said:
Sorry I havent beem back sooner, from my own experience blanchardstown is a nightmare as the m50 m3 junction is just a wall of traffic in the morning, to me clonee would be a no no
The roads aren't the only way into town from Blanchardstown though, in that way D15 is blessed compared to many of the areas being mentioned here. A train will have you in Connolly in 20mins from my local station. The latest timetable (valid since dec. 12th) saw 4 extra morning peak services added to the line, with gaps between trains down to as little as 10 mins at times.

I vote foxrock too. But since i cant afford it -
Swords - No train yet but its coming, so still reasonable prices to be had. When the train comes to Swords i think the property values will explode.

My husband and I are looking at Donaghmeade, specifically close to the Dart, any views on this area?

ncosullivan said:
My husband and I are looking at Donaghmeade, specifically close to the Dart, any views on this area?

I grew up in the area. Which estates/roads are you looking at?

I've been looking for the past year and a half and have just recently had a bid accepted and begun the process of buying a place in Bray. This was after 7 failed attempts to buy all over the city. From my experience:

• Phibsboro - some nice areas, 24-hr tescos, new shopping mall planned for dalymount, some good pubs etc and some fantastic houses but well past the 317500 mark, and buses during the peak are very slow due to heavy congestion
  • Cabra - The area is ok, at best. I found the quality of housing extremely bad - poor value for money.
  • Ballybough - its not the greatest area on one side but it has improved. There are some great places but prices are up to 450000 in certain cases
  • Inchicore - Some good opps here but the area is badly in need of regeneration. The good news is that it is on the way but it will take some time before it has an effect
  • Donabate - Decent transport links but very limited amenities. Certainly better value for money.
  • Christchurch - very hit and miss. Close to the city centre is an obvious advantage.
  • Fairview - Mixed area but generally good. Excellant bus services into city centre but prices well into the 380000-450000 range
  • Bray - (although not technically in dublin) 45min on dart to city centre (Luas line planned in T21), good value for money, by the sea and town centre development planned. Probably not as good socially as being closer to Dublin.
The only advice I would give is to try and find something that is close to either the Luas (existing or planned) and the proposed Metro. Regardless of what you read it is going ahead and pretty much as shown in T21. Dublin airport to the city centre will be a 17min journey, so somewhere on this line may be an option worth considering.

I don't think the estate agents are purposely lowering asking prices in order to attract interest, I think even they are surprised at the rate of growth over the last twelve months.

2 examples - pal bought a four bed detatched house in littlepace in clonee for €400K last March - 12 months later a 4 bed semi d on the same road is asking for €500K

Other pal bought a four bed in Lambourne off Clonsilla Road for €330K last April - next door neighbour is looking for €570K for almost the same house - he has extended over the garage where my pal hasn't.

Neither house has sold yet - both are only on the market in the last fortnight, so nothing is proven by the asking prices, however it does indicate an increase of greater than 20% in one year.

ncosullivan, portmarnock is a lovely area, close to donaghmede and malahide..dunno if it's considered good value anymore

Back