Dublin: Which areas are good buys?

ADK

just curious as to what people think? :confused:
I was thinking for 1st time buyers forget about foxrock and the like!...

Re: Which areas are good buys?

Your question is a very general one - I'm sure a millionaire first time buyer would be happy to live in Foxrock! If you mean where are good areas to buy under E317,500, then there are a few past discussions on this site covering areas like Crumlin, Drimnagh etc.

Clonee is a good buy.
Good Transport and great amenities in the area

Clonee? nice area but definitely not good for transport. Road horrendous cos of M50 junction and Blanch shopping centre. Train not really an option.

I'd go with speirbhean and suggest hitherto unfashionable areas close to the city centre. Phibsboro/drumcondra/NCR area (draw an 1000 metre circle, centred on mountjoy jail!) is definitely an improving area.

Observer, you obviously don't live in Clonee.
Bus service is very regular with express services into the city centre in the morning and home in the evening. Train service is definitely an option.

Traffic is bad in rush hour, but tell me somewhere where it is not. I have lived out there years now, and I think transport is good.

Observer, what do you mean improving? Drumcondra in particular has always been considered a particuarly expensive option with very very little for under 370,000 if anything. Its always had a reasonable reputation so I'm not sure what you mean by improving.

And Bertie is from Drumcondra...Doesn't that make it INCREDIBLY fashionable? ;)

Drumcondra (at least the parts where I live now) raise up to 750k for a 3-bed semi. Not so much improving as nearly up there with the top brackets!

speirbhean said:
Your question is a very general one - I'm sure a millionaire first time buyer would be happy to live in Foxrock! If you mean where are good areas to buy under E317,500, then there are a few past discussions on this site covering areas like Crumlin, Drimnagh etc.

Unfortunately, the properties in Drimnagh, Crumlin are not in the €317,500 bracket any more...I'm originally from this area and tried to buy there 6 months ago and I couldn't even get a 2 bed for that price...probably your best bet is to go for a new development of apartments / duplexes

ADK - Consider Finglas (lots of new development and very well serviced by Dublin bus), Santry (well serviced by buses and fairly mature). Anywhere you can get within the M50 for under the 317,000 is probably a decent buy...(and if its not already obvious Northside would be my preference)

And as a warning, Finglas and Santry prices are fast rising up to the 317,500 mark. I wonder whether you will be able to buy a house in Dublin for under the stamp duty bracket by the next budget?

ADK: btw, are you looking for Dublin areas?

ADK said:
just curious as to what people think? :confused:
I was thinking for 1st time buyers forget about foxrock and the like!...

based on which criteria??
price, location, size, affordability, facilities, potential for capital gain, ...?

Foxrock may be a very good buy , so could be Clonee, or Dublin City Centre or Sligo or Dingle.... or anything not in Ireland

We start looking in the dublin northside in April 2005 in the clarehall surrounding area prices were starting at €300,000 now the prices are starting at €381,000 and thats just the guide price. i have seen 3 bed houses in greenwood go for over €400,000 recenlty

Glasnevin has had a good year in terms of prices moving ahead. Starting to see some of the newer southside professionals having to slum it on the Northside because the prices south of the river are beyond them and they are happy to pick up a red brick for €700k to €1million. I think they are pleasantly surprised when the find the great unwashed end up being quite normal as neighbours.

Santry is racing ahead over the last year. Semi I bid on recently was on the market @ €400k , I dropped out at 430k but it is now at €446k!

Roy

Jason_77 said:
Observer, you obviously don't live in Clonee.
Bus service is very regular with express services into the city centre in the morning and home in the evening. Train service is definitely an option.

Traffic is bad in rush hour, but tell me somewhere where it is not. I have lived out there years now, and I think transport is good.
`
You'e right - I don't. But I do live in the Navan Road area and occasionally drive out of town towards Blanchardstown in the evening. The N3 is truly horrendous at that time - it can 45 minutes to travel 1 mile from Ashtown roundabout to the M50. Its particularly bad on Thurs/Fri when there's late night shopping in Blanch. OK, the bus can nip up the bus lane but I need my car for work so the bus is not an option for me.

Lauren said:
Observer, what do you mean improving? Drumcondra in particular has always been considered a particuarly expensive option with very very little for under 370,000 if anything. Its always had a reasonable reputation so I'm not sure what you mean by improving.
I meant the lower end of Drumcondra, roughly South of clonliffe road, down to the junction with NCR. Lots of side streets there with artisan cottage type properties.

Observer,

Just FYI From NCR junction to the Canal is not considered Drumcondra. Drumcondra starts from Withworth Road junction onwards. And if you see anything decent under 370,000 there can you give me a yell!

Back