Key Post Doors - Internal/External/PVC/Door Furniture

Re: >>Doors - Internal/External/PVC/Door Furniture

Ohpinchy
I think you'll have to pay VAT unless you are VAT registered or unless you can purchase via a company with a VAT reg number.

Sorry I'm a bit late Ohpinchy. Yes please definitely go ahead for me for a tub.

Transport is brilliant!! I wonder who he is using. I bring in pallet lots from Lincolnshire and pay more and it's non-haz.

Re VAT; usually they don't have to charge it if they can show that they are exporting to another EU country. AFAIK VAT registration shouldn't matter. Ask them anyway - it won't do any harm. Maybe someone here will know for sure.

Rebecca

Hi,

I have just ordered 4 27KG tubs of Kling-strip and 1 25KG tub of Stripper NB-410 brick cleaner.

You were right Rebecca – as soon as I queried the VAT she asked a colleague and then removed it so nice one!

So delivery per tub is £13, each Kling-strip costs £25 so total cost per tub of Klingstrip is £38 which is 56 euro which I think is a very good deal as its €2.07 a KG as opposed to about €4.40 per KG (or more – is 12% the right VAT rate?) that it would cost through Tony Devine.

Turns out my sister doesn’t need a tub but I thought it best to buy the four as carriage was same price either way so I said I’d get it I might end up using it or Rebecca or someone else reading here might be interested in it.

Will arrive Tuesday and I’ll use it the following weekend and post the results.

Rebecca, I’ll PM you my number and get yours to arrange pick-up

That's great OhPinchy. Thanks a million. If it works out ok, I may well be in line for a second tub.

The Irish VAT rate would be 21% I reckon but I'm no expert.

Thanks again
Rebecca

hi ohPinchy and Rebecca, am I too late to get in on the act? I'd love a tub of the klingstrip. Ive been away since Tuesday and no internet access.

Hi OhPinchy - your PMs are full. Just wondering if you got the pallet ok yesterday? Let me know and I'll ask himself to ring you and agree on pickup.
Thanks a mil
Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry, I got the pallet on Monday but have been flat out this week so haven't had a chance to contact you.

I tried the stuff out on Monday evening and Caprenter didn't say a word of a lie - the stuff is magic! You can actually see the melted paint running down the plastic you put over it (so be sure to have a layer of plastic on the ground).

No major fumes either, just be sure not to get it on your skin. Its fairly time consuming work putting it on bannisters but its worth it for the results - my test areas went right back to the original wood with no paint remaining, though it may have discoloured the wood but I'm either staining or glossing so no worries there.

As a result of the success of it I'll be extending my use of it so will be needing to keep 3 tubs of it for myself. Sorry but I can only offer you one tub - though to be honest you're going to need more than two tubs anyways I reckon by the sound of it. I've already used up one tub and will use the guts of another on the stairs and surrounds - so its not cheap (though you could probably spread it thinner than I have done if you are using it on flatter surfaces) but I think it'll be well worth your while shipping in another pallet.

Text or call me this evening about a pick-up and hope the one tub will be ok for you for the time being.

Hello Ohpinchy
Great to hear you were as impressed with it as I was. One small tip I got from a decorating contractor, maybe you know this already, but if using on vertical surfaces or awkward shapes try spreading it thinly on the plastic bin liner with a spatula, then drape this over the area to be treated. Best of luck with it.

Hi guys
Just an update on how we got on with this. While I was away for a few days himself used it to strip back our very intricate fireplace surround with great success (thanks to tips from the very helpful OhPinchy - thanks :) ).
I was hoping to revarnish it at the weekend but there are still some small bits of chalky residue stuck in little corners. I've tried scraping them out but can't get it completely clean. Any advice - should I wet it again and brush it out?

And while I'm at it - any advice on a nice varnish? The wood is shaded a little bit differently in places and I'm not really sure what it is but I'd like to get a medium oak type finish (not very glossy).

Thanks again for this discovery - the new surround will be the making of the sittingroom.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca
Instead of varnish would you consider Danish teak oil followed by a few coats of a good quality beeswax polish. The teak oil really brings out the colour and grain of the wood and won't clog up any of the fine details/ mouldings etc. It's important to apply 3-4 coats of the oil, allowing to dry between coats, the oil is a lot easier and more pleasant to use than varnish.

C.

I know the oil Capenter, I have it for my wainscotting (whole other pain in the head there). I was thinking of using it but then thought it might not disguise/blend the different shades of wood that well as it's pretty much clear. Also I know this is probably daft but would it be more flammable (on a fireplace surround) than varnish? If I did use it and it didn't look great, could I varnish over it?

What do you reckon about re-wetting the little bits of klingstrip to get them off with a brush?

Thanks a mil (oh wise one :))
Rebecca

Try rewetting the Kilngstrip and scrub it with an old toothbrush, rinsing regularly. I used the Klingstrip on a heavily detailed carving and washed it of with plenty of water, scrubbing the finer details as necessary. You can varnish over teak oil, as long as you rub it down first with a bit of fine steel wool to give a key, but this won't work if wax has been applied over the teak oil! Timber in a fire surround shouldn't be a problem as long as it is at least 200mm (8") away from the actual fire place recess (see Building Regulations TGD Part J). If you intend using the fireplace a lot maybe varnish might be more practical as it can be washed down from time to time. I just think that sometimes varnish can make wood look very plastc and it will yellow in time. You can add solvent based wood stains (Rustins wood dyes) to the Danish oil to improve the colour, but a little dye is all that's required...Best of luck!

C.

Hey Rebecca,

Glad to hear it went well for you. Your boyfriend was a nice fella and sorry I couldn’t make it into town to meet him there but I really am flat out these days finishing things off (will be into the house in a week!).

Don’t be afraid to drench the kling-strip if necessary – I found a nailbrush for removing it, and a sponge for getting the last bits off very good but it needs a fair bit of water. And I reckon you’d be best staining the wood after to get a uniform finish on it. Good luck with it.

Thanks a mil OhPinchy. Thanks for talking to him about how you had worked with it too.

Rebecca

try tj grady ltd in charlestown co.mayo
they supply & fit pvc & timber windows & doors all over ireland

Hi - is there anywhere in Ireland to buy the Klingstrip stuff

Tony Devine worked out 2.5 times more expensive than shipping in a crate of four 27kg tubs of kling-strip.

Re: Key Post: Doors - Internal/External/PVC/Door Furniture

Hi, just wondering if anyone can point in the right direction of a company that does good quality comtemporary pre-hung doors. Got Doors Ireland and Homestyle DIY from this key post already. Thanks in advance
Coolio

Hi, this is a question for Extopia, I'm wanting to do a piece on uPVC doors and am wondering what your source is for the toxic fumes comment when they are burning. Can't seem to find anything online, although there is quite a bit about PVC fumes. I understand the u means unpasticised. Doesn't this protect uPVC from being a major toxic hazard? However, I understand the uPVC consumes major resources to produce and take ages to breakdown. Thanks.

Just a quick question abouta problem with a lock in a PVC door. Haven't been able to lock the door (garage door) for a while now. When you lift the handle up and turn the key the locking mehanism doesn't work. We've tried the barrel in another door and it works. Just wondering if anyone has some ideas?

Back