Dog poop in my garden. Every day.

Isn't every area 'leash only' except for certain parks/beaches where off leash is permitted at certain times?
As far as I know the dog does not have to be on a leash if he is under the effectual control of owner*. e.g You can walk your dog without a leash if you can control him and ensure he does not go in to someones garden/foul it. But this is diferent than allowing him out alone. That is what i was told anyway.
Councils have the power to make an area leash only or even no dog. Not sure what is involved there but there must be by laws enacted.

Does not apply to alsatian etc*

OK I totally accept that hitting the dog with a air gun was not the best approach however it was not my first effort. I have tried to talk to my neighbours first.

If the truth be known andI know some of you are going to find this slightly offensive or racist..My neighbours are from Nigeria and are pretty disgusting. There front and back gardens are filthy and unkept. I have a child who plays in the garden and I dont want her handling the excrement of these peoples animal. I'm sorry but thats just the way I feel. Ignorant?....maybe....Protective...Most definitely

As far as I know the dog does not have to be on a leash if he is under the effectual control of owner*. e.g You can walk your dog without a leash if you can control him and ensure he does not go in to someones garden/foul it. But this is diferent than allowing him out alone. That is what i was told anyway.
Councils have the power to make an area leash only or even no dog. Not sure what is involved there but there must be by laws enacted.

Last night walking my dog in our estate 2 huge dogs came running over to snarl / try hit at him. The owner saunters along a fair bit behind them smoking, I called over "Are they yours?? Get them away from us" so he called them and they went over. Now they were under his control (even if he wasn't bothered stopping them til I called) but surely they should be on a leash too?? I said to him "why aren't they on a leash?" And he ranted back that they don't have to be and what's my problem?? So I said nothing and walked on to avoid an argument with him still shouting after me that it's an estate they don't have to be. They weren't a dangerous breed. I was pretty annoyed after it.

If the truth be known andI know some of you are going to find this slightly offensive or racist..My neighbours are from Nigeria and are pretty disgusting. There front and back gardens are filthy and unkept. I have a child who plays in the garden and I dont want her handling the excrement of these peoples animal. I'm sorry but thats just the way I feel. Ignorant?....maybe....Protective...Most definitely

Plenty of people have Irish neighbours who can be disgusting and filthy so yes it's racist. You should leave out the from Nigeria bit it's not relevant. I agree about the concern for your daughter, can she not play out the back garden and then there would be none of this?

As you say, it's up to each local authority to stipulate the rules for the aera under their control. In Dublin, there is a specified time period during which dogs may be off lead, but 'be under the effectual control of the person-in-charge.' Currently, dogs may only be off-leash in a public place between the hours of 8am & 11am.

These rules apply to areas under control of the authority, if your estate is a private development, these will not apply and you would need to follow up with the management company.
Leo

See this previous post for more details on Dublin rules.

. Now they were under his control (even if he wasn't bothered stopping them til I called) but surely they should be on a leash too?? .
To my knowledge, as long as they are under his control they do not need to be on a leash. Of course you may be able to make the argument they were not under his effectual control as he was not controlling them. You say they were huge but not a dangerous breed. do you know what breed. Perhaps you should ask the dog warden to have a word and see if he rants to him

As you say, it's up to each local authority to stipulate the rules for the aera under their control. In Dublin, there is a specified time period during which dogs may be off lead, but 'be under the effectual control of the person-in-charge.' Currently, dogs may only be off-leash in a public place between the hours of 8am & 11am.

These rules apply to areas under control of the authority, if your estate is a private development, these will not apply and you would need to follow up with the management company.
Leo

See this previous post for more details on Dublin rules.
interesting never knew there were times a dog could be off leash, a bit like single yellow lines and bus lanes;)

It doesn't matter where they are from, dirty inconsiderate people are dirty inconsiderate people.

We live in what some would call a very nice, private estate. One of my neighbours who is what some would call posh, drives a Merc etc. lets his dog out purposely every day at least twice a day to go and do its business in another neighbour's garden.

It's hard to catch the dog doing its business, but if you do and confront the owner, he just says he's sorry and that the dog slipped out when he went out to his car.

This is such a lie as I've seen him myself many times opening the front door, letting the dog out and closing it again.

Thats not the issue. The issue is preventing my child from handling dog faeces.

So why did you bring up their race at all then?

If the issue is preventing your child handling dog faeces then I fail to see what the neighbours race has to do with it.

So why did you bring up their race at all then?

If the issue is preventing your child handling dog faeces then I fail to see what the neighbours race has to do with it.
one of the people here was not irish. my attitude was they had some cheek to come here and expect to be able to mess someones garden. why don't they go back to their own country. some people of all nationalities are dirty and irresponsible and want to have dogs but want someone cleaning the muck. As i said earlier, some cheek and no responsibility

Last night walking my dog in our estate 2 huge dogs came running over to snarl / try hit at him.

That happened to me before. As it was a smallish dog I picked it up and threw it into the river I was walking beside. The owners (a couple with another dog on a lead) were irate when they arrived but the dog was fine, if wet, and since their dog was not under control and attacked mine I told them that they caused the problem. I just reacted to it.

Back