Dog poop in my garden. Every day.

As an owner of a Cocker Spaniel myself, I would say that you might be better off trying to deter the dogs from pooing on your grass by use of some repellant. This will just move the problem elsewhere, probably someone else's garden. Unless the owner is prepared to either just let them out in the back garden, where they will undoubtedly bark their heads off, having previously had the freedom to roam where they liked, or he is prepared to go out himself with them on a lead which sounds unlikely. Dogs are creatures of habit and unless trained to do otherwise, will continue to do as they normally do. Hope you get a successful outcome, let us know how you get on.

+1 David Dublin

complete over reaction but I will say that hurting the dog with lead pellets is not acceptable in my opinion - tackle the owner not the animal

complete over reaction but I will say that hurting the dog with lead pellets is not acceptable in my opinion - tackle the owner not the animal

Completely, I'd like to shoot the people who condone this behaviour. With air rifle of course.

As an aside, we have cats pooing in our front flowerbed all the time. I just dont let it bother me. I pick up the poop and bin it. Big deal. Sometimes I am weeding and I grab a handful, not very pleasant but again, big deal.

Once or twice they have pooped on the back lawn leaving a rich, healthy patch - look on the bright side! Get more poop for a better lawn.

Seriously, lide is too short....

If you've got some nice strong friends, next time you find the poop in the garden, knock on neighbour's door, say it's happened again, and invite him to inspect, whereupon your friends help you to rub your neighbour's nose in it, as gently as possible of course! :eek:

I am amazed by the reaction of some people. A poster gave the dog a little fright with a pellet gun and many others find it offensive. I doubt it hurt any more than a nick from another dog.

But a human picking up excrement and walking around with it is perfectly acceptable?
+1 people should not have dogs if they expect others to accept their mess. bloody cheeky

I'm thinking the scene in Me Myself and Irene where Jim Carey finally cracks and takes a poo in the neighbours toilet. Classic!

Some posters here sound like the kind of people I'm so happy that they dont live in my neighbourhood. Suggesting putting it thru the letterbox, or back in his yard, report them as missing etc. is only going to escalate things. You have to live alongside these people so you need an amicable compromise if at all possible.

Here's what I would do. I would approach the neighbour again having rehearsed exactly what I intend to say. The following points need to be made: you are very unhappy that dogs keep pooing in your garden; there are no other dogs in the neighbourhood so it seems likely it is his dogs; if he wont accept that it could be/is his dogs then you'll be forced to get a photo of them doing it which seems a bit petty; ask him what he will do if you get photo evidence. I would also try and deomnstrate to them that you are reasonably by saying that you're not a dog lover, but that you accept that they'll bark when let out in the morning at 7am or whatever. There's nothing you can do about it, so dont make it part of the issue. Besides, it is the only thing you can do when you have dogs.

If the neighbour refuses to budge, then get the photo. Show it to him. At that stage you tell him that you'll have to report it to the autorities if he does not stop it happening. Try to keep calm, and display that you are reasonable, that you're only doing this because you are really upset that it continues to happen, and that you have no alternative but to adopt this approach unless he does something about it.
Disagree. Who wants to be friendly with someone who has no considersation and wants dog with no responsibility. He should see to it thwe dog is not allowed to be in someone else's garden. His dog - his responsibility. Want no responsibility - get rid of dog

Disagree. Who wants to be friendly with someone who has no considersation and wants dog with no responsibility. He should see to it thwe dog is not allowed to be in someone else's garden. His dog - his responsibility. Want no responsibility - get rid of dog

You work for the UN dont you? C'mon, dont be coy....

?? had that here and solved without wasting time with neighbour. They can keep away from here with their dog muck
Maybe I missed the post, but I dont see that you posted how you resolved it, or have contributed with any suggestions as to how to resolve the issue.

Jays Fluid, good for the soil, animals hate it.
We have a green area oposite our house that we pay each year to keep cut. It annoys me when I see people from outside the area walking their dog on our green bit on an evening and then the kids are out playing during the day.

Where I live someone is picking up their dog dirt (to be seen to do so) but there are lots of these little plastic bags full of dog poo discarded in dark areas. If I could only catch them.....(the people that is)....

You could possibly scare them off your own patch by leaving down a treat covered in tobacco. This will make the dogs sick but will not do any harm to them. .
I already posted a link that says tobacco is bad for dogs. But I just wondered what would be the situation legally if someone put out tobacco and the dog died. Tobacco is not an illegal substance but would using it like that make it illegal.

Mods:-Maybe this should be a new thread in legal?

hardly contribute to silly posts about UN. How does that resolve it?

I assume you have already read my post above that was my suggestion towards resolving the issue. You have disagreed with it so you'll forgive me for the assumption. I'm not sure how else you expect me to help in the resolution of the issue.

?? had that here and solved without wasting time with neighbour. They can keep away from here with their dog muck

So I again suggest that you contribute to resolving the issue. You have previously come across this issue, and seen it resolved. But you continually fail to provide any helpful, constructive suggestion. That's not exactly helpful now, is it?

I assume you have already read my post above that was my suggestion towards resolving the issue. You have disagreed with it so you'll forgive me for the assumption. I'm not sure how else you expect me to help in the resolution of the issue.

So I again suggest that you contribute to resolving the issue. You have previously come across this issue, and seen it resolved. But you continually fail to provide any helpful, constructive suggestion. That's not exactly helpful now, is it?
I do not even know what you mean re UN or why I would sound like someone from the UN and if you just want to be smart I will not get into that. UN is not a constructive comment

I made the UN comment based on your first post - it was not exactly helpful, and was most likely going to escalate things between neighbours, which is never a good thing in my opinion. So I was being sarcastic, using the lowest form of wit to make a point. It seems to have offended you, which was not my intention. So I apologise.

So....any chance you can shed some light on how to resolve it. Having been waiting for a while, my expectations are growing - I hope it's not a let down!!

I made the UN comment based on your first post - it was not exactly helpful, and was most likely going to escalate things between neighbours, which is never a good thing in my opinion. So I was being sarcastic, using the lowest form of wit to make a point. It seems to have offended you, which was not my intention. So I apologise.

So....any chance you can shed some light on how to resolve it. Having been waiting for a while, my expectations are growing - I hope it's not a let down!!
First clear off the dog muck cos dogs are attracted to the smell of their own muck and that confuses their sense of smell. Then try get off my garden.http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Get_Off_My_Garden_Crystals.html#a2628

If you are worried about offending the people who allow their dogs to abuse your garden I cannot help any more. If not , take photos of the dogs and complain to the dog warden.

If not happy with the result complain the dog warden/council to the Ombudsman quoting the councils statutory responsibility as at
http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/DogControl/

I have seen it done here and it worked cos the Ombudsman's investigation put pressure on the council and they responded. One guy who persisted in letting the dog loose was told he would be prosecuted or have the dog taken and he then kept the dog on a leash.

The OP states
Even if I did get a photo I dont think he would act with regard to stopping it.
The dog warden can make him stop, hence the importance of photographic evidence.

Clever people they were they used to leave dogs out early befre people were up but that stopped too when the council took it seriously as they did when they were complained to the Ombudsman.

The link above also says that local authorities have the power to make an area a leash only or even no dog area. Currenly a dog, excepting certain breeds, does not have to actually be on a leash so long as they are under effectual control.

But maybe you prefer to have friends who allow their dogs to mess your garden?;)as you said you don't mind picking up cat poop.

I still do not understand the UN reference.

Back