Does anyone not drink?

Under what circumstances/conditions do you think you might "feel the need"?
You know?, to feel good, reduce stress, and relax. If I have some spare money left over I would too.
Caveat, essentially what I'm syaing is I would avoid drinking "to fit in". - But I rarely get that now. Only when I was teenager I used to get peers trying to get me to drink (?).
As for ClubMan's ironic remark, that's because he's a lot older than me. So it doesn't happen when you're older.

I never felt any peer pressure to drink at any age. Sometimes peer pressure is a handy cop-out to blame for those who are too lazy to think/act for themselves.

I have not touched alcohol since i was 13. I would drink if i felt the need, but i would not drink because people tell me to, only if i wanted to.

You know?, to feel good, reduce stress, and relax. If I have some spare money left over I would too.
Caveat, essentially what I'm syaing is I would avoid drinking "to fit in". - But I rarely get that now. Only when I was teenager I used to get peers trying to get me to drink (?).
As for ClubMan's ironic remark, that's because he's a lot older than me. So it doesn't happen when you're older.

Can I conclude then that since you were 13, you have never needed to feel good, reduce stress or relax? ;)

I never felt any peer pressure to drink at any age. Sometimes peer pressure is a handy cop-out to blame for those who are too lazy to think/act for themselves.
Would I be right in saying: At your age of youth, kids weren't able to access it as easily as today? Espesially as kids then didn't have access to money or after school jobs like today? - Which would explain that less kids would've drank then.
Can I conclude then that since you were 13, you have never needed to feel good, reduce stress or relax? ;)
I also wasn't brought up around alcohol either, so that would lessen my want/need to drink. Just didn't appeal as my parents didn't.

Would I be right in saying: At your age of youth, kids weren't able to access it as easily as today? Espesially as kids then didn't have access to money or after school jobs like today? - Which would explain that less kids would've drank then.

Don't agree with this at all - assuming CM is around the same age as me that is. Access to alcohol was never a problem at all for me. Was able to personally buy drink in 'offies' at around the age of 13/14, was drinking in pubs at 16, older brothers/sisters of friends had absolutely no qualms in procuring alcohol on my behalf (if ever there were supply difficulties) and on top of all this - no I.D system to contend with.

I don't remember being exactly flush with money - but I always had enough for drink.

(Not condoning any of the above by the way!)

Don't agree with this at all - assuming CM is around the same age as me that is. Access to alcohol was never a problem at all for me. Was able to personally buy drink in 'offies' at around the age of 13/14, was drinking in pubs at 16, older brothers/sisters of friends had absolutely no qualms in procuring alcohol on my behalf (if ever there were supply difficulties) and on top of all this - no I.D system to contend with.
Yep - I see your point.

...but I always had enough for drink.
Very Patriotic! :D

No - access was never a problem. I was a teenager in the early 80s.

Apparently 2 units in one sitting is binge drinking

Oh the iron of posting in a thread about not drinking (sitting here with a glass of chardonnay right now)! Back to the OPs original post...i know a few non drinkers, one is just gone 21 and doesnt drink (life and soul of the party and always remembers what us alcos did the night before), another just doesnt like the taste and again is one of the last to go to bed on a sat night (no other substances involved:p )! It doesnt bother them one bit and actually find it hilarious people find it so odd!

Now you're talking. My favourite vice.

The "curse" of vino..hard to spell after 2 ish glasses ;) Clubman..dya ever sleep? Just curious..cos your fountain of knowledge and observation never ends :D

decided to give it up for a year a number of years ago for a couple of different reasons - was saving for a house deposit, wondered would it make any difference to social life, wondered could I do it?

Stayed dry for a year and from then on have only drank little and infrequently. A couple of glasses of wine in a month perhaps.

Back