Does anyone not drink?

I suspect that it's nearer if not exactly 5%.

AFAIK there are two versions: a 440ml can at 5% and a 500 ml can (which I drink) at 4.8%.

Edit: I buy all my alcohol in NI, so that might make a difference.

Edit 26/10: Can now confirm it's actually only 4.3%

Last edited:
It's pretty bland tasteless watery pish all right but it's refreshing (like Miller). Just couldn't drink too much of it.

Try something hoppy and malty and savour every sip.
Leffe Triple (Belgium) is a fave. So is Coopers Sparkling Ale from Oz.
Have a look at http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk to order if you want (no connection to me..unfortunately :( )

While I drink, my wife doesn't drink nor does any of her family as well. Also with her sisters and brothers none of their in-laws drink either. I believe the weddings were very sober affairs. I can imagine the next family occasion I will be unique at it.:)

Were you not unique at your own wedding to your wife or have all her family + the wife given up drink after you married her?
Back to the topic. My daughter's boyfrien doesn't drink and he is only 26. My sister drink and she is in her fifties.

It's pretty bland tasteless watery pish all right but it's refreshing (like Miller). Just couldn't drink too much of it.

Try something hoppy and malty and savour every sip.
Leffe Triple (Belgium) is a fave. So is Coopers Sparkling Ale from Oz.
Have a look at http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk to order if you want (no connection to me..unfortunately :( )

Good site Pique. I suppose I like my lagers to be refreshing and most definitely do not like hoppiness/maltiness in a lager. Can't stand Carlsberg or Harp either - to me they taste like breweries smell. But I like malty ales/real ales etc etc.

Anyway, sorry Trafford, straying a fair bit on this thread...:eek:

Fitness freaks and medical reasons aside, my guess is that there aren't that many under 40s who don't drink these days. I mean, do people still actually take 'the pledge' for example? Haven't even heard the term in years myself...

There was a woman on the radio who is a Pioneer and she said that there is about 100,000 of them floating about. Funny, I don't know any. I must be mixing in the wrong circles.

Well, I made my confirmation in 1991 and we were asked to take the pledge. It had not been mentioned prior to the point when the bishop said "stand up now and we'll take the pledge". I didn't even know what it was and on discovering its meaning, I promptly told my parents that was a ridiculous thing to promise and that I was sure not to keep it. So I didn't take it. I objected to the fact that it was sprung on me!

I don't know anyone who recently made their confirmation but I'd imagine it's still in there.

Were you not unique at your own wedding to your wife or have all her family + the wife given up drink after you married her?
Back to the topic. My daughter's boyfrien doesn't drink and he is only 26. My sister drink and she is in her fifties.

I think Boris meant that his in-laws weddings to their spouses were very dry affairs, because the spouses don't drink either...if you can follow that. Perhaps these weddings happened before he came on the scene.

Well, I made my confirmation in 1991 and we were asked to take the pledge. It had not been mentioned prior to the point when the bishop said "stand up now and we'll take the pledge". I didn't even know what it was and on discovering its meaning, I promptly told my parents that was a ridiculous thing to promise and that I was sure not to keep it. So I didn't take it. I objected to the fact that it was sprung on me!

I don't know anyone who recently made their confirmation but I'd imagine it's still in there.

Out of 62 of us in 6th class making our confirmation (few schools combined), I was the only one who stayed sitting when we were asked to stand and take the pledge. My parents were against me taking it, and said that while they hoped I wouldn't drink before 18, they wanted me to make that "pledge" to them, and to myself, and not to God necessarily. We are a typical roman catholic family, but with alcolholism on both sides, but my folks always had a realistic attitude to drink.
I never drank at all when in school, and at age 17 started in university. I just mentioned it lately at home that I still waited until I was 18 to take my first drink, and my folks were surprised, but pleased! I don't know if too many of the pledgetakers could say they waited until they were 18.

stopped drinking around 8 years ago (very early 20's) after coming into work with a hangover and spending the day puking and having to walk past the boss to get to the jacks each time...

I stopped about 6 months ago, I got sick of feeling queasy and tired even after a moderate amount and as the other half doesn't drink due to medical reasons it's been easy enough. I can honestly say I don't miss it despite having a number of bottles of wine in the house I have never once fancied a glass. I do get funny looks though when I tell people I don't drink and am invariably asked "why".

As for the pledge, my son took it about 18 months ago, it's moved on a bit and they now have to pledge to neither drink nor take drugs until they are 18!:confused:

I stopped for medical/health reasons about a year ago (and quit smoking soon after). I do miss it, but I suspect if I went back to it I'd (a) very quickly find myself drinking more than was good for me again, and (b) end up even more quickly back on the fags — which is a definite no-no for me... :(

I guess I had enough of both in the last twenty-odd years to do me for the next twenty-odd! :D

v dissappointed/worried about the proposed new blood alcohol limit - I agree that no-one should drink & drive & I never do but what are you supposed to do the morning after?

I think theres going to be lots of sob stories about being bagged having had 4 pints the night before and still over the limit.

In some countries I hear the limit is NIL (or more or less) - so a bit of Christmas pud and you're done for drink driving. Puritanism gone too far.

I'd be more in favour of a higher limit balanced by more enforcement - maybe I'm wrong but I think the major problem is people well drunk and driving because the odds of getting caught in some areas arent huge, as opposed to people with 2 pints and marginally over - or people the next morning who are marginally over.

Re drinking - have reduced it a fair bit over the years (was never hugely into it), tend to have a "blow out" every month or 2 and quite sensible in the interim - a dreaded binge drinker then !!!

v dissappointed/worried about the proposed new blood alcohol limit - I agree that no-one should drink & drive & I never do but what are you supposed to do the morning after?
Take the bus? Of course if you're a bus driver ...

I cycle to the pub when I drink during the week so the exercise kind of balances against the drink.

How do you get home so? Hope its not under the affluence of alcohol whilst on a bicycle ;)

I stopped for medical/health reasons about a year ago (and quit smoking soon after). I do miss it, but I suspect if I went back to it I'd (a) very quickly find myself drinking more than was good for me again, and (b) end up even more quickly back on the fags — which is a definite no-no for me... :(

Well done. Some achievement. You must be worth a fortune by now. :D

Back