Comparing prices for grocery shopping

thanks

Thanks folks.
Looks like Aldi on Parnell Street & Lidl in Finglas would be my closest so.

dublin city

There's no Lidl in Dublin city centre, is there?

Lidl

one of Lidl's products that I find really great is their "Sunflower" bread - dark, wholegrain bread, absolutely crammed full of sunflower seeds and all sorts of things - the sort of stuff that even feels healthy to eat - loads more sustenance than the ubiquitous squishy, air-filled white sliced !! can definately recommend it
(and no, I don't have anything to do with Lidl - just a customer)
Laoise

Re: Lidl

There's no Lidl in Dublin city centre, is there?

No - I believe that they're planning to be anchor tenants in the new hotel/mixed use development on Parnell Street/Moore Lane (near Conway's Pub) but that will probably take a few years.

Lidl/Aldi

As a bit of a counter balance to all the praise been heaped on the above stores - I tried some fruit juices and jams from Lidl/Aldi ( it was a friends house I was staying in at the time). I thought it was really terrible stuff.
The jam, while on a par with Dunnes/Tesco own brand was a long way off Chivers etc. I thought it was rotten.

And the Juices were 'nt very wholesome IMHO, there seemed to be more water than juice. For a few extra quid I'll stick with the brand names. Maybe if I had a family and every penny counted, then Lidl/Aldi , but until then . . . . .

Re: Lidl/Aldi

I found the carton of reconstituted OJ indistinguishable from the brand equivalents (Sqeeze etc.). Aldi used to sell litres of freshly squeezed OJ for less than €2 but I'm not sure if they still stock it. That's another slightly annoying thing about Aldi - they sometimes stock certain items for a while and then stop selling them (possibly because they only stock things that sell well and/or space is very tight in Parnell St).

Lidl/Aldi

I found the OJ in Lidl to be fine, wine very good, didn't much like the garlic bread- anyone try the pizzas?

Re: Lidl/Aldi

The reason why stories differ as to the quality of fruit juice in Lidl as that they sell two different types of juice (whether it is orange juice, apple juice or so on) - "Saft" and "Nectar".

I don't honestly know which is which, but the more expensive is "pure juice", generally the equivalent of Squeez or similar brands, while the other, cheaper option, is a juice/water mix along the lines of Capri Sun or similar.

Lidl - my recommendations

FWIW here are my recommendations for groceries in Lidl:

Excellent value: :)
Chianti Red Wine
Crinkle cut crisps
Ice Tea
Extra virgin olive oil
Wholemeal bread
Ulster Fry materials (rashers, pudding, eggs, soda bread & potato bread)
Mozzarella
Frozen French Fries
choc chip cookies
Most Household cleaning items

Not so good: :|
Tinned stuff other that plum tomatoes
Fruit is a bit hit & miss
Kitchen rolls are too long for my kitchen roll holder!
Long queues at the tills

Tried out Aldi products

Ok well I tried out the few products that I got in Aldi, and I couldn't fault them. The Plum tomatoes were fine, as was the pasta, and refuse sacks. The lemon sponge cake was particulary good - delicious in fact, and it was only 1.25. So I think my plan will be to try out a few more things at a time and stock up on the nice ones from time to time to supplement my weekly shop. I don't think you could do your full weekly shop there as they don't have a big enough range.

juice

Tommy
"Saft" is German for juice - so anything sold as "Saft" will indeed be juice - but not necessarily freshly squeezed, it can be remade from concentrates.
All others are dilutions, mixtures, flavoured drinks, etc
It will always be on the box/bottle if it's100% Saft/juice.
Laoise

ps
anyone tried the 'Rosti' ? - makes a change from chips
and
the frozen Camemberts for deep frying aren't bad either
L.

Re: juice

Tommy and Laoise,

yes, indeed, the "nectar" stuff is not 100% juice, I think it can be 50% water / 50% juice.

"Saft" is juice.

I still can't get over that they actually sell German products with German language labels, where you often have to peer quite close to see the English descriptions.

Contango10

The Lidl packaging is often more obviously German than the Aldi packaging in my experience. Sure we're all Europeans now, eh!? :lol

Ja ClubMan aber, wenn Sie nicht Deutsches sprechen, kann es Schmerz in der Rückseite sein. ;)

Er, not quite that European though! Thank heavens for BabelFish! :lol

"ClubMan however, if you do not speak German, it can be pain in the back."

Hmmm...it seems Babelfish can't quite grasp certain colloquialisms...back wasn't precisely the word I was looking for. :lol

EuroEnglish

Sure we're all Europeans now, eh!?

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase-in plan that would be known as "EuroEnglish": --

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".. Sertainly, this will make the sivil sevants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favor of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with the "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"'s in the language is disgraceful, and they should go away.

By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaning "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU!!

Re: EuroEnglish

According to today's papers:

Fine Gael's Enterprise, Trade and Employment spokesman, Phil Hogan, is to call for the retailers to present themselves before an Enterprise and Small Business hearing.

Mr Hogan, a member of the committee, said: "There is an enormous amount of imported food product there. They should as far as possible source as much as they can from Ireland if it is at a similar price."

Is it just me or does anybody else wonder .... "why?!?!"?

Aldi/Lidl

Clubman,

While I'm a firm believer in open markets and a large selection to choose from, I do believe that we should try and buy as much Irish produce as possible. I think Mr Hogan could be trying to pander up to some lobby group by making that statment. As someone already said, we are all Europeans now and there is nor eason why European produce should'nt be stocked on our shelves.

But when I go to Supermarkets I always try to buy Irish produce. Dunnes receipts let you know how much of your purchases were at least part processed/grown in Ireland. Ok Aldi etc might be a lot cheaper and times are hard but is it not making things worse in the long run by buying foreign produce. If more farmers/processing jobs go bust, dole q's rise...eventually taxes rise to pay for this. A simplistic model I know, but there is some hard truth in it. The majority of the country seemed to back the farmers last week. I believe the best way to do that is to buy Irish produce. Why buy foreign meats/milk/veg in Aldi when you can get the Irish equivalent. It makes no sense to me

Aldi/Lidl

But why is it that there is such a disparity in prices for similar products between Aldi/Lidl and the Tescos/Dunnes of this world. Somebody somewhere is making a killing and the farmers are adamant that its not them. Surely by attempting to 'boycott' these firms (to the extent that thats possible) this may lead to these firms reducing their prices to the benefit of the consumer?

Back