Comparing prices for grocery shopping

D

Deirdre

Would anyone know of any website which compares prices in the Irish supermarkets? My new years resolution is to save money on grocery shopping at present I spend a fortune.

I know some of the newspapers (in particular the Herald) publish basket of good price comparisons from time to time but I don't know of any more regular source for such information unfortunately. I was wondering if [broken link removed] had something relevant but it seems to be offline altogether at the moment... :|

Checkout Ireland's [broken link removed] (groan! :x ) feature seems to do periodic price comparisons/checks around the country for what it's worth...

In my experience the prices in Aldi and Lidl are unbeatable for the items that they carry (although I personally find Aldi stuff slightly higher quality than Lidl) but they only carry certain lines and a second trip to another store will usually be necessary for the "weekly shopping".

Don't forget to try something like Pigsback on a regular basis for a wide range of coupons and money off vouchers.

NoelC's mammy swears by it, and that's good enough for me !!!

:D

You could also try passing your latest weekly shopping receipt through Tesco's or Superquinn's online shopping service to see what you come out with at the end. Unfortunately Dunne's Stores don't have anything online yet.

Presently if you live near an ALDI or LIDL store then just a visit and compare will highlight the major savings you can make on virtually all items.
They will not have the "named" brands or wide choice but the quality of most foods and products is great.I really suggest you give them a try, the price difference will shock you .

Good luck
ged.

I have to fully agree with the above. Both Aldi and Lidl offer tremendous value when comapred to the Tescos, Superquinns of this world. In addition Lidl agree to reund the price where you are not satisfied with one of their products. lt is time for the Irish consumer to stand up and be counted and not be taken for granted!

Hi All Deirdre - original poster back again,
thanks for all replies. I live in Firhouse I don't know of any Aldi or Lidl southside are there any? I'll definitely give them a try.

quality and value

I have never bought in lidl eventhough theres one close to where I live. Nothing looked familiar in relation to packaged and tinned goods. Does the foodstuff taste nice or is it just cheap and cheerful?

What about the wine? Is it decent or is it all just plonk?

I personally didn't like Lidl to shop in I thought it was very drab, but I could be convinced if the quality aspect was proven.

Re: quality and value

Here's a list of the . None near Firhouse.

I couldn't find a link for LIDL in Ireland, but notice that RGDATA are objecting to two new Dublin developments for LIDL, one of which is in Lucan, on the basis that it would harm local supermarkets.

That's competition and free enterprise for you lads !!

ALDI FOR NAPPIES

I haven't shopped in Lidl - but I go to Aldi solely for Nappies, Baby Wipes and Vino. The nappies are excellent and are about €4 PER PACK CHEAPER than Pampers. The Baby Wipes are the best around and they are MUCH cheaper than the known brands here ...... and the wine is great value and quality. Well worth making the trip - I live in Knocklyon and go to the one in town - beside back entrance of Ilac Centre. Bit of a hassle to make the trip but well, well worth it.

Grocery shopping

It is very much a case of try and see. Some things will appeal others won't- but for the ones that do you will certainly save substantial money. Things like vegetables, wines, beers, tissues, shampoos, toilet paper etc. you can't go wrong.

Re: Grocery shopping

I agree - try a few items and judge for yourself. Anything I've tried from Aldi was fine and indistinguishable from the "big brand" equivalents (including their wines!). I found some of the items in Lidl lower in quality and not always to my liking.

I've tried a couple of the Aldi Auzzie Reds in the past & they were fine - definitely worth a try.

I believe the daily stuff like Milk, Bread, butter etc is much cheaper but I have not ventured.. Anyone care for their verdict on them?

Milk, bread, butter (the real stuff and the synthetic substitutes ;) ) etc. are all fine in my experience.

money where my mouth is

Ok Guys, time to put my money where my mouth is, I walked down to the Parnell Street branch at lunch. I was amazed at the prices. I got a few things, I could only get what I could carry walking. 1kg pasta 99c, tin of tomatoes 35c, 20 refuse sacks 1.09, lemon sponge cake 1.35. all really reasonable. I'll try them out and report back.

LIDL locations

Thanks N0elC for the list of Aldi stores above.

Can anyone indicate where Lidl stores are located since there's no online list? Even just one or two?

Re: LIDL locations

Togher & Midleton in Cork.
Killarney in Kerry

Lidl

Theres a Lidl that has opened in Finglas in recent weeks.

Back